CUCM 6 to 8

I'm just starting off here so I have a couple noob questions...

1) I managed to get a starter cucm 6 disk I plan on running in VMWARE. (until I scrape some dough together for a real server). How much difference is there between version 6 and version 8 which I plan to test on?

2) I think I can also get a hold of the business edition with cucm 6 and unity 2.0. Would it be better going this route as far as exam prep goes? Is the Callmanager the same other than user capacity/clustering in both versions?

Thanks!

Comments

• shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Local Route groups were added to 7 which have changed the game for not having to create the same pattern for every site.

Ver 8 Added some new features.

compare this with 7/6

Cisco Unified Communications System 8.x SRND - Cisco Systems

check the whats new.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Subtle difference between 7 and 8 – larger differences between 6 and 7/8 as shodown stated. It’s worth the trouble to hunt down 7/8 for the clustering flexibility alone (you can't setup multiple servers with the 6.x default license).
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    pitviper wrote: »
    Subtle difference between 7 and 8 – larger differences between 6 and 7/8 as shodown stated. It’s worth the trouble to hunt down 7/8 for the clustering flexibility alone (you can't setup multiple servers with the 6.x default license).

Ah okay... If I manage to get a copy of 7/8 can I run it using vmware on a windows pc? I think I read somewhere it needs the real server hardware to run... Any truth to that? If so what is a good cheap server model I could buy off ebay to do the job?

Thanks!
    D
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    tha_dub wrote: »
    Ah okay... If I manage to get a copy of 7/8 can I run it using vmware on a windows pc? I think I read somewhere it needs the real server hardware to run... Any truth to that? If so what is a good cheap server model I could buy off ebay to do the job?

Thanks!
    D

The CUCM software will not install on non-cisco approved hardware. Luckily cisco approves VM-Ware for lab use, so it can be installed on it with limited licenses.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.