Options

Laser Printer

thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
I am looking for an all-in-one laser printer that can fax, copy, print, scan. I am going to use this at my home.
Also, it has to be a network type printer, so that everyone that is connected to my network can send their print job to the printer, and for scanning documents.

The reason I'm looking for a printer because I am using a all-in-1 ink jet, and the ink cartridges are really expensive and they just last for a few weeks.

If you guys have any recommendation, it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    My recommendation would be to not get an all in one printer as I've never found any of them to be particularly good, reliable or have decent drivers...
  • Options
    Oh I forgot, one of my machines are using Ubuntu, and planning to change all my PCs OSes into Linux.

The reason why I am looking for all-in-1 is that from time to time I need to scan and print some docs. This last few weeks I have been going to 711 to fax some docs. $1+ per page. I think I spent like $30+ already just for faxing.
    Studying:
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    thehourman wrote: »
    Oh I forgot, one of my machines are using Ubuntu, and planning to change all my PCs OSes into Linux.

The reason why I am looking for all-in-1 is that from time to time I need to scan and print some docs. This last few weeks I have been going to 711 to fax some docs. $1+ per page. I think I spent like $30+ already just for faxing.

We have been supplying our outside staff / home office users with HP LaserJet Pro 1212nf's It's a FAX, LAN, SCAN, B&W LASER. HP has Linux drivers on their site.

As for faxing, we have accounts setup with Metrofax.com. I think it's 1000 pages (Inbound+Outbound) for about $12.00 month. With the cost of phone lines, fax machine upkeep, long distance, etc.. it was much cheaper to use them.

Here's a site for services:

FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?

Good luck.
  • Options
    When I have to fax something, do I have to pay per page?

I am not familiar with fax.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    thehourman wrote: »
    When I have to fax something, do I have to pay per page?

I am not familiar with fax.

No,

It's 1000 total sending out or receiving. Incoming faxes go to an email address. Outgoing faxes are sent from an email address as an attachment usually to the fax company (i.e. 55555555555@faxcompany.com).

Different companies offer different amounts per month, toll free numbers, regional numbers, etc.
  • Options
    I was talking about regular fax like for home use.

I don't want to pay monthly for a service that I wouldn't need every month. It would be nice if I send a lot of faxes, though.
    Studying:
    Reading: