Options

Sysadmin resources

jmreichajmreicha Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was wondering what everybody here in the forums uses for resources outside of TE. I have sort of taken over the role of sysadmin and am looking for a community that is as good as this one, geared towards daily sysadmin stuff/advice/tips and tricks, etc.

It seems like I learn something here every day and want to add to my repertoire of knowledge.

Comments

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    well, that largely depends on what kind of admin you are. unix server admin resources are going to be different than windows admin resources, which are going to be different to dba resources, which are going to be different than exchange or other email admin resources, and so forth hehe
  • Options
    jmreichajmreicha Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    well, that largely depends on what kind of admin you are. unix server admin resources are going to be different than windows admin resources, which are going to be different to dba resources, which are going to be different than exchange or other email admin resources, and so forth hehe

Right, I had that same thought after I made the post. I think it would be cool to get a variety of different resources and different perspectives, but for me, Unix/Linux and Windows admin resources would be the most helpful.

For example, an obvious one I've found ubuntuforums.org to be really useful in extending my Linux knowledge for many projects at home, but I would like to see input from others and build up a list.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I mostly just use google as my primary resource, and I run across fun things like forums and mailing lists while I'm researching the stuff I like to play with. Mailing lists are usually pretty good, if you can filter out the noise. I'm a big fan of openbsd-misc and debian-users. I also keep up with a few LUG's (Linux User Groups), a couple of which are local to me. And of course there's my co-workers. Since we're all a bunch of linux and/or network geeks, we talk alot of shop.
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Depends on the OS, system model, network type and make of the equipment. This goes for servers, workstations, and networks and so forth. I use manufacturer tech and engineering documents then I bounce forums using Google.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    For Windows I get most of my stuff answered either from my books, techexams, google, or technet.