Options

Network administrator

agpltagplt Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello fellows, i have one question if it's good way of thinking. Now in real life, sys/net admins must know Linux, windows, networking and all that stuff, at start i was concerned only to take cisco cert exam but now i changed my mind, first learn Linux stuff and then prepare for cisco and or windows. Is it good choice ? And what literature you can offer ? Firstly i think i need to get proper fundamentals in Linux, i have some practical expierence but i need learn all basic things. For start i want to get these books:
1. Linux for Dummies. Amazon.com: Linux For Dummies, 9th Edition (9780470467015): Richard Blum: Books
2. Red Hat Linux for Dummies. Amazon.com: Red Hat Linux Fedora For Dummies (9780764542329): Jon 'maddog' Hall, Paul G. Sery: Books
3. Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 For Dummies. Amazon.com: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech)) (9780764577130): Terry Collings: Books
4. RHCE Red Hat Certified Engineer Linux Study Guide. Amazon.com: RHCE Red Hat Certified Engineer Linux Study Guide (Exam RH302) (Certification Press) (978007226454icon_cool.gif: Michael Jang: Books

I want to know what is your opinion about my radical change in my certification route and if my choosen books are good enough or maybe what's fastest route to learn this stuff or maybe what's not fastest but most interesting way? Thank You all for your advices and opinions !

Sincerely, aGp
Currently working on:
- CCNA
Future plans:
- CCNA Security
- CCNA Voice

Currently reading:

- Todd Lammle “CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, 5th Edition (640-801)
Currently watching:
- CBTnuggets Cisco 640-822 Jeremy Cioara

2011 10k challenge
Pages read: 137

Comments

• Options
    gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    want to know the same how to learn linux from scratch
  • Options
    PovilasPovilas Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think that to became real pro in all areas (MS, Linux, CISCO etc.) - mission imposible. It's good to have basic knowledge about everything in IT, but main concentration should be put in your area of expertise. So if you decided to became CISCO expert, then going for desktop or even Linux certs may be wasting of time.
    Of course sometimes it's must for small businesses admins to be "experts" of everything an especially in 3rd world countries it's not unusual requirement for admin to hold Linux, Windows, DOS, MacOS certificates and have Boeing pilot license and abillity to repair submarine engines even position is for 1 level network technician. This is only case in which going for as much as possible certs is the way to go. Otherwise it's not wise to think that after reading couple of books you will became Linux admin, for that you need hours and hours of practice.
    2013 to do list:
    [70-413] [70-414]
  • Options
    agpltagplt Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Povilas wrote: »
    I think that to became real pro in all areas (MS, Linux, CISCO etc.) - mission imposible. It's good to have basic knowledge about everything in IT, but main concentration should be put in your area of expertise. So if you decided to became CISCO expert, then going for desktop or even Linux certs may be wasting of time.
    Of course sometimes it's must for small businesses admins to be "experts" of everything an especially in 3rd world countries it's not unusual requirement for admin to hold Linux, Windows, DOS, MacOS certificates and have Boeing pilot license and abillity to repair submarine engines even position is for 1 level network technician. This is only case in which going for as much as possible certs is the way to go. Otherwise it's not wise to think that after reading couple of books you will became Linux admin, for that you need hours and hours of practice.

Yeah i know that it's imposible to know everything, but i am trying hard i spent now like 14h a day it's only my third day on linux and i talked with several admins, i didn't asked about my choise i just asked how to learn and what book they can recommend, and they said taht best way to learn is to launch web server with all features it's not that easy as it sounds. i need to set my mind, i am interested in linux in same way as in cisco, it's hard to make decision when you need to choose, also i you want to be net admin you must to know AD and other stuff... not completely to know but have a grasp of it. Where is a lot of stuff to learn.
    Currently working on:
    - CCNA
    Future plans:
    - CCNA Security
    - CCNA Voice

Currently reading:

- Todd Lammle “CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, 5th Edition (640-801)
    Currently watching:
    - CBTnuggets Cisco 640-822 Jeremy Cioara

2011 10k challenge
    Pages read: 137