Options

IT Professional with ADHD

Comments

• Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    While i don't agree that it is a spoilt little brat syndrome.

I do think there is a bit of a culture these days of using it as an excuse. And that does not apply to every one by any means.

But I use to be member of Dyslexic forums, and one thing I found very annoying was the amount of people who used there condition as an excuse for not doing well.

I know how hard it is to manage these conditions, and to over come them. The conditions exist with out a shadow of a doubt. Diagnostics is great because it teaches people what they are facing. And it allows teachers to teach to people strengths and acknowledge there weaknesses.

But they are not excuses to be lazy, and sadly some people do use them for that.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ilcram19-2 wrote: »
    in my time ADD/ADHD was call spoiled little kid and you fix that with a few spanks,
    i cannot believe that people believe in that crap lol is so funny!!!! for an adult is also call
    Lazy, disrespectful, irresponsible (LDI) lol

Why post such a childish statement; this isn't YouTube. What's the point?
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    Why post such a childish statement; this isn't YouTube. What's the point?

I wouldn't bother indulging him. If you actually look at his post history, you'll see shades of trollishness
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Back to the original topic and sharing one of my coping mechanisms. I found one day, almost by accident, that the best place for me to study is in my parked car. No distractions and it seems to work.
    As to the comment made earlier the guy doesn't have any idea what he's talking about. ADD and ADHD are very realand are difficult to deal with much less overcome. I strugle with it everytime I'm trying to get anything accomplished. This is not a thread for excuses but a means of sharing coping mechanisms.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    I wouldn't bother indulging him. If you actually look at his post history, you'll see shades of trollishness

im just being realistic, i know alot of people would say that they have add to take special classes and be able to graduate or take the easiest classes in high school, i knew there was nothing wrong with them and they were capable of doing more but there were just lazy.
    i dont mean to hurt anyones feelings i mean this not a cartoon network forum isnt?
    sometimes poeple just need a push rather and us feeling bad for them.
  • Options
    BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    im just being realistic, i know alot of people would say that they have add to take special classes and be able to graduate or take the easiest classes in high school, i knew there was nothing wrong with them and they were capable of doing more but there were just lazy.
    i dont mean to hurt anyones feelings i mean this not a cartoon network forum isnt?

No offense taken with your post you're definitely entitled to your own opinion, with all those certifications you have, I would assume it would be common to do your dilligent homework before spilling uninformed idea.

I would rather not feed to the trolishness if there's any, but anyway just my 2 cents :)
  • Options
    Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    whats wrong with cartoon network? icon_wink.gif
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717

Unfortunately, some people in this forum regularly give bad rep, sometimes blank or or just because they disagree. Opposing views and doses of "reality" (while not being insulting) are heavily frowned upon. If you aren't rubbing someone's head like a child or including butterflies and flowers in your posts, then prepare to be slammed.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Unfortunately, some people in this forum regularly give bad rep, sometimes blank or or just because they disagree. Opposing views and doses of "reality" (while not being insulting) are heavily frowned upon. If you aren't rubbing someone's head like a child or including butterflies and flowers in your posts, then prepare to be slammed.
    Bad rep has to have a comment and can't be just blank. What he had to say was less a "dose of reality" than just blind, uninformed, unconstructive, criticism. Why do you think doctors actually diagnose ADD and ADHD. It's not just an excuse for laziness.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Banned Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just curious to find who are in this profession and have the condition.

The Future of Adult ADHD

I understand. I was lucky. I think staying away from video games helped me avoid this malady because apparently, it's now been proven that those video games can really mess up your mind.

Also, I think things that have improved my ability to concentrate and perform as an IT professional are Prayer, Chess, Judo, and Andreas Vollenweider Music, and not necessarily in that order.

Cheers!

Paladin
    ISMS Architect and Data Center Manager
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    Bad rep has to have a comment and can't be just blank. What he had to say was less a "dose of reality" than just blind, uninformed, unconstructive, criticism. Why do you think doctors actually diagnose ADD and ADHD. It's not just an excuse for laziness.

My comment had nothing to do with ADD/ADHD. Anyway, given the reason you just listed, I would agree with that though.
  • Options
    SteveLord wrote: »
    My comment had nothing to do with ADD/ADHD. Anyway, given the reason you just listed, I would agree with that though.
    The poster you are referring to had made somereally unproductive comments and his little button turned red as a result. The topic is basically ADD/ADHD and he had posted a nastly little comment about people with ADD/ADHD just being lazy and such. I don't like starying off topic so much and these posts may all be erased as a result and all his neg reps may be invalidated as a result.
    There are a lot of really productive posta here as to coping mechanisms people use so that they don't need medication for this malady and that is what is great about this place and the people here.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Paladin wrote: »
    I understand. I was lucky. I think staying away from video games helped me avoid this malady because apparently, it's now been proven that those video games can really mess up your mind.

Also, I think things that have improved my ability to concentrate and perform as an IT professional are Prayer, Chess, Judo, and Andreas Vollenweider Music, and not necessarily in that order.

Cheers!

Paladin

Lots of people have a certain amount of quirkiness in their character, it's what makes the world go around. One of the benefits of the technical age is it has opened up a lot of new kinds of work for people that can enable folks who are challenged to sometimes turn a problem into a strength, at least on the workfront. If someone is really concerned about their behavior then I advise that they see a doctor.

Regardless of if your symptoms are mild or chronic some simple lifestyle choices, given enough elapsed time can really make a difference. Chemicals have been a way of life for all us since the end of the second world war. They are in the pans you use to cook your food, detergent is everywhere, so are plastics, and basically just about everything you eat and drink has been affected. Get some purity into your life and some balance. Try living without computers and TV for a few hours. Walk in the fresh air. Get out of the house and find something else to do. Dig your garden. Engage with a few people and do nice things for a change. And stop playing video games. Grown men have much better and important things to do with their time.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    Get some purity into your life and some balance. Try living without computers and TV for a few hours. Walk in the fresh air. Get out of the house and find something else to do. Dig your garden. Engage with a few people and do nice things for a change. And stop playing video games. Grown men have much better and important things to do with their time.

I so agree, nothing as soothing to the mind as taking the dogs for a walk across the field or through the woods.

And computer games... what are they again?? ;)

But I also have to agree to some exten with ilcram19-2, how ever much it may upset people what they said. Some (by no means all) people do use things like this as an excuse to be lazy.

I have heard to many people say "no point in trying I got x and y so i can't do it" and jsut sit at home living of mum and dad playing computer games and watching tv.

So while many people do stand up and take it head on and try to find ways to cope/manage and get on in life. to pretend that no one uses it as an excuse, to me is as ofensive as as sugesting people do.

Its the same with any condition, some people find the positives and othes the negitives. You have people who lose there leg and decided to curl up and disapear, while others use it to find motivation to climb mountins.

Expect in the most sever cases, ADHD is overcome by willpower and self disipln as much as by any drugs. Just like in depression, while dugs may be able to control the symptoms, it takes chaning your state of mind and how you aprocah things to overcome it.

Are all people who have ADHD simple Lazy... no! But havign ADHD does not make you a failer on its own, being lazy and havng ADHD, that is a sure way to fail.

My view is people who have ADHD do have to work harder to succeed, at least to start with while they find ways to manage the "condition". And the fact they are slow to start can make them apear "lazy", the aim of the game is to prove all the people who think that wrong. And sitting at home, playing computers, watching TV, winging about life is not going to do it. Starting a company, working hard and making billions on the other hand is :)

People who have been dignose with ADHD have done both!
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »
    Great advice and observations! And don't forget to add vitamins to the list of healthy habits!

Cheers!

Paladin
    So true. Vitamins and regular exercise has helped mine a great deal.
    I have multiple problems, Bipolar Type 2, ADD, and thyroid (Graves disease). I have to take meds for the thyroid but regular exercise and talk therapy has helped me to ween off (most) of the BPD drugs. The ADD is getting betteras I'm almost off meds for that. Vitamins and exercise are 2 of the most important ingredients to a better lfestyle and mental health.
    Lazy is not something you can use to describe me but the depressive episodes I use to suffer were debiltating to the point of not being able to get anything done.
    I might also add that getting proper sleep helps and that is also aided by regulating your diet (caffeine and nicotine) and exercise. I found that walks with the family helps.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    earweed wrote: »
    So true. Vitamins and regular exercise has helped mine a great deal.
    I have multiple problems, Bipolar Type 2, ADD, and thyroid (Graves disease). I have to take meds for the thyroid but regular exercise and talk therapy has helped me to ween off (most) of the BPD drugs. The ADD is getting betteras I'm almost off meds for that. Vitamins and exercise are 2 of the most important ingredients to a better lfestyle and mental health.
    Lazy is not something you can use to describe me but the depressive episodes I use to suffer were debiltating to the point of not being able to get anything done.
    I might also add that getting proper sleep helps and that is also aided by regulating your diet (caffeine and nicotine) and exercise. I found that walks with the family helps.

I would say get your vitamins from your food as opposed to taking pills. Either way get the right stuff inside you. Shop for fresh ingredients, local if you can find them, use iron pans, watch the oils you use (beware transfats which are everywhere in food), wash with bicarb of soda, no cleaning agents, prepare your meals by hand, buy good meat. We simply love cooking in our house and every meal is a banquet. Once you have an ordered kitchen, great cooking does not take long. You feel better and recover from illness, when you do get ill, much faster.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□

I am a member on a parenting forum and I read stories of parents who have children with ADHD. Not to be rude, well actually I am but who cares, to hear stories of kids getting so frustrated to the point of tears, adults getting frustrated to the point of falling so far behind they lose their jobs doesn't sound like "lazy" to me. And how did you "know" they were lazy? I know as a kid I would get so frustrated at times that I would just give up.

And back in my day AIDS was a "g@y disease", dyslexia was "stupid", etc, etc. Just because it was not diagnosed or doctors knew little about it does not mean it didn't exist.

Mental illness at one time meant you were possessed by demons.
  • Options
    No offense taken with your post you're definitely entitled to your own opinion, with all those certifications you have, I would assume it would be common to do your dilligent homework before spilling uninformed idea.

I would rather not feed to the trolishness if there's any, but anyway just my 2 cents :)

i dont think this has anything to do with my certs is just what i have seen, reality is not easy as having add or adhd, alot of the times we need to take responsability of our actions rather than being judge insane, alot of people take advantage of this and could even get away with murder. sociaty is tricky and if "WE" keep allowing or enabling this type of behavior people are just going to take advantage of it. i probably have ADD i cant concentrate when im reading or studying for a cert and i rather be playing xbox and wutching TV but i need to keep up to date other wise i could lose my job and i wont be able to pay my mortage,car loans etc,
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    they were friends of mine in high school, they didn’t get to take the task test and all they would do was sleep, i did see a few kids that were in special classes as well that you can tell that they were mentally ill,
    the parent didn’t do anything to make sure that their kids actually had ADD
    And also let me apologize to all for my words didn’t mean to offend anyone

Yeah no offense taken, I used to just generalize everyone sometimes and now realize there are certain issues out there and some people abuse the system. Sort of like a lady in my Guard unit who came back from Iraq with us, we were not a combat unit, she claimed she had PTSD (coincidently after she lost her job) and got on disability. I wanted to ask her if she got stressed out when the chow hall ran out of lettuce or something. I think some people play the system and people don't want to make it harder for those who actually need help so people abusing the system slip through.
  • Options

I don't think anyone here has a problem with a dissenting opinion. Lord knows I've gotten into a few heated discussions with folks.

It's more about the way it's said. This isn't the Cartoon Network, but neither is it the Penny Arcade forums.

This is just my opinion, however. Unless a mod tells you that what you're saying is out of line, then you're not breaking any rules. However, don't be surprised if folks who don't like how they're being talked to decide to neg rep you.

Now, as to the topic at hand, I pretty much agree with you. As I said before, I'm relatively sure that if I went and saw someone about it, I'd get a diagnoses and a note for some pretty pills to go along with it. I've seen far too many people claiming this or that disease as the reason for all of their problems. I've had plenty of problems coming up in my life, I'm dealing with a chronic health condition myself, but I *never* use it as an excuse, and I do not let it effect my performance.

I think people should acknowledge their problems, adapt, and overcome. However, I can only speak for myself, because I only know how I feel. In my own case, I can attribute pretty much all of my attention deficit issues to either laziness or boredom.

However, I allow for the fact that I could be wrong and someone could be chemically screwed up in the head to the point where they cannot function as a normal human being on their own.
  • Options
    i think if you are expressing yourself in a forum expect to hear different opinion not just what you want people to tell you people think differently because of their experiences you can’t expect that everyone to think the same as you do, this is a public forum just because i don’t think like ya'll do doesn’t mean i can’t be taken seriously lol it means that in order for me to be consider i have to say what you want to hear!!? doesn’t make sense if you are putting your thought is a forum. you are pretty much telling everyone that doesnt think like you no to waste their time with a comment that won’t be appreciated plus if you arent going to change or be open to suggentions what is the point of asking for an opinion keep it to your self and you wont be bother lol
  • Options
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Yeah no offense taken, I used to just generalize everyone sometimes and now realize there are certain issues out there and some people abuse the system. Sort of like a lady in my Guard unit who came back from Iraq with us, we were not a combat unit, she claimed she had PTSD (coincidently after she lost her job) and got on disability. I wanted to ask her if she got stressed out when the chow hall ran out of lettuce or something. I think some people play the system and people don't want to make it harder for those who actually need help so people abusing the system slip through.

+1. This happens A LOT more in the military than people realize. And some actually want to give Purple Hearts for that.
  • Options
    i think if you are expressing yourself in a forum expect to hear different opinion not just what you want people to tell you people think differently because of their experiences you can’t expect that everyone to think the same as you do, this is a public forum just because i don’t think like ya'll do doesn’t mean i can’t be taken seriously lol it means that in order for me to be consider i have to say what you want to hear!!? doesn’t make sense if you are putting your thought is a forum. you are pretty much telling everyone that doesnt think like you no to waste their time with a comment that won’t be appreciated plus if you arent going to change or be open to suggentions what is the point of asking for an opinion keep it to your self and you wont be bother lol

You missed my point entirely - it's not what you say, it's how you say it. Presentation counts for alot. If people don't like the way you present yourself, don't be surprised if folks don't react well to it.

Look back at the civil discourse that occurred before your first post in this thread. Folks were talking openly and frankly about their experiences with the condition. Then you decide to call folks spoiled, lazy, disrespectful (oh the irony in that one), and irresponsible.

If you're honestly surprised you got neg repped, you have absolutely no softskills.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    you have absolutely no softskills.
    They could just have CPDD -- Capitalization and Punctuation Deficit Disorder. Oh, a kitty!
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    in my time ADD/ADHD was call spoiled little kid and you fix that with a few spanks,
    i cannot believe that people believe in that crap lol is so funny!!!! for an adult is also call
    Lazy, disrespectful, irresponsible (LDI) lol

This goes to prove how ignorant you are on the topic of ADD/ADHD. ADD/ADHD doesn't imply an attitude problem, being lazy, being disrespectful (like you are now), irresponsible, or any other trait. In fact, many people with ADD/ADHD find roles in the professional world that actually cater well to how their brain works and in those cases ADD/ADHD can work to their benefit and provide for greater success in their chosen field.

I was diagnosed later in life, just before my mid 20's. I actually held similar opinions that you have before being diagnosed. After my diagnosis, I did a good amount of reading and research on the issue and was able to formulate my own opinion. I believe the problem genuinely exists for some people, though I also believe the criteria to diagnose are fairly vague and easy to fall into even if you don't actually have it. I also believe it's often over diagnosed and med's are dished out on a whim. I can say this though, once I was diagnosed and knew more about it - a lot of issues I had in academics, professional life, personal relationships, financial, etc... made a lot more sense since there seemed to be a reason/cause behind it. I tried med's and they did work and had a marked improvement, but used them long enough to work on focusing on lifestyle changes to help keep things organized in a way that would allow me to better function as a person.

FYI... blurting out rude comments without thinking of their consequences before doing so and ending up sounding like a prick is one of the traits of ADD.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    FYI... blurting out rude comments without thinking of their consequences before doing so and ending up sounding like a prick is one of the traits of ADD.

I thought that was tourettes....
  • Options
    Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    eansdad wrote: »
    I thought that was tourettes....

involuntarily blurting out rude comments is tourettes, saying things without the consideration of the consequences is a trait of ADD/ADHD.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    i just said what everyone else thinks or thought, sorry im not sesitive
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    i just said what everyone else thinks or thought, sorry im not sesitive

Many of the responses in this thread clearly indicate your not saying what "everyone else" thinks or thought. Each post you make seems to make yourself out to look even worse off than the post before. Maybe it's time to reconsider your strategy.
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    They could just have CPDD -- Capitalization and Punctuation Deficit Disorder. Oh, a kitty!
    +1 and CSD Correct Spelling Disorder