Options

Possible long term thread idea

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I was thinking just now, that we should have a long term thread on specific jobs. What I mean by this is that we should create some structure to the post and list different types of jobs.

Example

HelpdesK ( and the other variation of the title that we can include)
Then list what skills you will need to be able to do this job successfully. If you want to list recommended and perferred that's cool too. I would also list another section talking about educational and certication requirements. Again stating recommended and perferred. Then at the end possibly listing how to get to that point. Another jobs that can help leap frog you or leverage your resume so that you can land one of the positions. Example: Working in a call center answering and routing calls would be a great entry way into technical helpdesk. Again I am not sure how long this post would be, but I think it would be a great idea.

Job titles that I see come up on here all the time. Network Admin Engineer, System Admins, Helpdesk, Database Admins, Developers of all sorts of languages, Analyst (Business, Application, Data), IT Management, Report Writer, EtC.

I see a lot of good threads leading you in the right direction, but I don't see an high overview thread of employment. I know that a lot of people come to this board afraid to post, because honestly all they have is the passion. If we could map out a post that could show them what it takes and possibly how their skill sets match up to a certain position, it could give them the drive and motivation to go through with their dreams.

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The thing with job titles is they can be completely different from company to company. One mans network engineer is another mans system admin.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think some sort of disclaimer would also be neccesary because job descriptions vary from job title often. For example, working as a NOC Technician could mean doing basic Cisco stuff or it could be a full on Engineering position. Another possibility would be to categorize each job as Entry Level, Mid, and Sr. I think that would allow people to go through and read what type of responsibilites they may take on as they progress in their career. It may be good to formalize what should be mentioned for each job title and post a "form" to fill out on here.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds like a good idea but as others have said job titles vary from company to company. Maybe before starting, for example, a helpdesk thread you should query what different titles helpdesk people have.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You all make good points, but this can be done. I agree compile a list of job duties and then list their different names. Help desk analyst, remote desktop support, service desk technician etc. If that is the biggest kink we should have no problem getting this done.

I can create a template when I get home and submit it and we can move forward from there if you all want to. If not, my feelings won't be hurt. I am just doing it for the newer people who have the passion, but don't know which questions to ask or that are intimidated to ask questions because of their lack of knowledge.

We have one on resumes, shouldn't we have one on jobs in general?

X I agree a disclaimer would be a nice idea.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I see both points. It is true that position titles means a different things to every employer. "Network Engineer" can be anything from Tier 1 Helpdesk to CCIE stuff.

Having said that, it wouldn't hurt anyone to list what a typical role involves. Seeing so many "I'm new to IT" posts I think this would be a good idea as long as it is specified that the list is not by any means inclusive. Maybe add the line all those weight loss infomercials have: "Result may vary" or YMMV.
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I see both points. It is true that position titles means a different things to every employer. "Network Engineer" can be anything from Tier 1 Helpdesk to CCIE stuff.

Having said that, it wouldn't hurt anyone to list what a typical role involves. Seeing so many "I'm new to IT" posts I think this would be a good idea as long as it is specified that the list is not by any means inclusive. Maybe add the line all those weight loss infomercials have: "Result may vary" or YMMV.

Yes, so true. I guess thats why in most job descriptions you have the one duty that states.."Other duties as assigned" icon_lol.gif. I know what you mean cyberguypr about all those newbie IT posts...this is still why if I have any questions first..consult the sticky topics to see if they are answered there. Most of the time they are icon_study.gif

I think what ever your IT discipline whether it is Systems Engineer, Network Engineer, Systems Analyst, IT Project Manager, etc....you should give a description of that particular job which would alleviate some occurences of duplicate submissions and give valid descriptions of those role. Who better knows what they do then people with those titles. just my $0.02
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i like the idea a lot, it would be very helpful to noob's
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I really like the idea it will be a great help for job seekers. Yes it is not accurate and each company has some requirments but I really think this thread will cover most of it.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I like the idea of this thread it could be very useful info despite how job titles and duties can vary between companies.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    I was thinking just now, that we should have a long term thread on specific jobs. What I mean by this is that we should create some structure to the post and list different types of jobs.

Example

HelpdesK ( and the other variation of the title that we can include)
    Then list what skills you will need to be able to do this job successfully. If you want to list recommended and perferred that's cool too. I would also list another section talking about educational and certication requirements. Again stating recommended and perferred. Then at the end possibly listing how to get to that point. Another jobs that can help leap frog you or leverage your resume so that you can land one of the positions. Example: Working in a call center answering and routing calls would be a great entry way into technical helpdesk. Again I am not sure how long this post would be, but I think it would be a great idea.

Job titles that I see come up on here all the time. Network Admin Engineer, System Admins, Helpdesk, Database Admins, Developers of all sorts of languages, Analyst (Business, Application, Data), IT Management, Report Writer, EtC.

I see a lot of good threads leading you in the right direction, but I don't see an high overview thread of employment. I know that a lot of people come to this board afraid to post, because honestly all they have is the passion. If we could map out a post that could show them what it takes and possibly how their skill sets match up to a certain position, it could give them the drive and motivation to go through with their dreams.

What do you think?

Great idea…..Like others have there is no clear definition of a help desk/ admin , or any other position in IT. I wish there was some sort of documentation for certain roles in IT , how to get them best certs to have, experience ect..ect.. I think it would be helpful for me and others too!! Even just saying that you need to have xyz skill to start on the help desk, that would be great for me. I have seen help desk positions that require a BA degree and I have seen others that require 1 year experience, and some even require 5-15 years of experience( sounds nuts)

Can we have a cover letter and a thank you letter sticky, too?
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor