Options

most irrelevant interview questions asked

dangtran09dangtran09 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
yesterday, a interviewer asked what i thought was completely immaterial to the tech position i applied.

"my wife dropped her wedding ring in a cup of coffee. when she took it out it was completely dry, why do u think so?"

let's hear yours...:D

Comments

• Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've heard the exact question before except it was a cup of water.

The coffee was frozen, it shows you willing to think "outside the box"
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Or maybe to see how quick someone is. If they answer with "Wow, really" you know they aren't the quickest person. If someone has to think about it for 5 minutes they to fail. A quick response of "The cup is empty" or "It's frozen" or something cleaver would mean they are on the ball.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I really hate those questions. I think if you want to test my ability to think outside the box, give me a real world or logical situation. IE: I have 30 marbles and a scale. All of them are the same size, but one has a different weight. How can I figure out which one it is with the least amount of mathematical steps.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    wesamesswesamess Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    probably because it's coffee grinds?
    I've never had a irrelevent question of that randomness besides practice ones like...if you were a fruit, what fruid would you be?
  • Options
    pertpert Member Posts: 250
    Question I hate the most is what do you prioritize when you have multiple things going on at once. How is this question ever relevant? You prioritize the most important things, then its mostly a function of time required for each project. There is nothing within this question that in anyway reflects on ability to think or manage or anything remotely useful. Everytime someone asks me this I immediately regret applying for the company because its always some know nothing HR person going through the motions about a position they have no idea about.
  • Options
    PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    chmorin wrote: »
    I really hate those questions. I think if you want to test my ability to think outside the box, give me a real world or logical situation. IE: I have 30 marbles and a scale. All of them are the same size, but one has a different weight. How can I figure out which one it is with the least amount of mathematical steps.

Is it a balance scale? Or just a scale?

My approach in either case would probably be divide them into 15 and 15, weigh them, the half that weighs more, keep them, set aside the other group. do 7 and 7, if they weigh the same, eureka, you lucked out and the leftover is the denser one. If not, repeat this step until you end up singling one out or get down to 1. Youll only have to perform 4 weighings.

15 and 15 -> first weighing eliminates half
    7 and 7 -> second
    3 and 3 -> third
    1 and 1 -> fourth

Thats just how i would do it. *shrug* There may be another way... who knows, as with the other coffee example there may be different answers, ie, coffee was frozen, it was coffee GROUNDs, or BEANS, etc

As far as being asked these questions, i dont recall ever having been asked one. Ive only ever had 1 real traditional interview and job application. The rest were after id broken into the IT industry and had made a circle of contacts. The rest was history.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    steve13ad wrote: »
    I've heard the exact question before except it was a cup of water.

The coffee was frozen, it shows you willing to think "outside the box"

i was gonna say, it was a cup of coffee grinds/beans
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "If you could be any animal in the world what would it be and why"

My answer:

"A Falcon, because I want to be at the top of my food chain and be able to have good vision of what's going on around me." Best I could do on the spot.

I told a coworker at the job I had at the time and he said, "hopefully they don't think you want to be that just to get high."
  • Options
    Pratt2Pratt2 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    One has a different weight does not mean one weighs more. Heh
  • Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    I recently had an interview where I was aked what order I put my sneakers on and if I then tie the laces in the same order. I think my guy may have been smoking pot or something, who knows. needless to say, this annoyed me to no end.

i keep my sneakers tied and just slip them on and off, if anyone was curious what i answered. :)
  • Options
    MechaniXMechaniX Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    "How often do you shave?"
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    sambuca69 wrote: »
    I recently had an interview where I was aked what order I put my sneakers on and if I then tie the laces in the same order. I think my guy may have been smoking pot or something, who knows. needless to say, this annoyed me to no end.

i keep my sneakers tied and just slip them on and off, if anyone was curious what i answered. :)

Same answer I would have given. Also, whatever is closest to me is what I put on first. icon_lol.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    wesamess wrote: »
    probably because it's coffee grinds?
    I've never had a irrelevent question of that randomness besides practice ones like...if you were a fruit, what fruid would you be?

Since the majority of our banana plantations have just been wiped out by a cyclone, I'd be a banana. That would make me expensive and in high demand.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Part of my last interview went something like this....

Them: Do you like coffee??
    Me: No
    Them: Do you like tea?
    Me: Yes

I found it really odd for them to ask me that. I never did drink tea in the office downstairs with them but I did drink a lot of it in the upstairs office though :)
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    On the topic of Interview questions this is a rather good link:
    Security Interview Questions | InfoSec Daily

This would be more of a "Relevant Interview Questions", but I figured those interested in this thread might find that link interesting.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA