Options

Release dates for MS Press books with R2 content

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
This is from the horses mouth. Release dates are kind of late for a lot of people who are already studying though.
Title
Author
Files to Printer Date
MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-642): Configuring Windows Server® 2008 Network Infrastructure (2nd Edition)
Tony Northrup and J.C. Mackin
23-Apr-11
MCITP Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-646): Windows Server® 2008 Administrator (2nd Edition)
Orin Thomas and Ian McLean
1-Jun-11
MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-643): Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, 2nd Ed
J.C. Mackin
1-Jul-11
MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-640): Configuring Windows Server® 2008 Active Directory® (2nd Edition)
Dan Holme, Nelson Ruest, Danielle Ruest, Jason Kellington
15-Jul-11
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments

• Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks earweed, wow finally :D too bad can't use them but it's good to know atleast they have a date. I don't see 70-647 don't they have a R2 book for it?
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks for heads up!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    They didn't list the date for the 647 book. I don't know if they either don't have a date yet or maybe not even planning one.
    It is kind of shortsighted of MS to wait til so long after incorporating R2 into the exams. I used IT Academy which is a Microsoft learning resource and even it hasn't been updated yet.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    Thanks for the info! Won't hit up 2008 server exams til next year so these will definately be in my arsenal.
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Options
    austin010507austin010507 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    They didn't list the date for the 647 book. I don't know if they either don't have a date yet or maybe not even planning one.
    It is kind of shortsighted of MS to wait til so long after incorporating R2 into the exams. I used IT Academy which is a Microsoft learning resource and even it hasn't been updated yet.

It looks like Microsoft plans on releasing an R2 2nd edition MS-Press book for 70-647 as one of the Prep Materials Microsoft lists is the 2nd edition book (although it does not link up to anything and is just a bullet point - see the link below). I have read from a MCITP-EA that the 1st edition
    book is suffice, although he suggested getting familiar with forefront technologies.

Pro: Windows Server 2008, Enterprise Administrator
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205
    "MCITP Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-646): Windows Server® 2008 Administrator (2nd Edition)
    Orin Thomas and Ian McLean"

This might be a bit off-topic, but does anyone expect these books to be good or worth it? In particular, the one I quoted, since its from the 2 authors that gave us the 70-680 book.

After taking the 70-680 and failing, using the MS Press book (and several others, but still) my faith in the Press books are a little shaken. I guess we'll have to purchase them anyways as one of the many materials we use, but I'm still worried icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    LCALCA Member Posts: 215
    It's good to see MS Press releasing these second editions. It needs to be remembered that no single book no matter how good it is will ever be enough on its own to pass a MS exam.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://sqlsnapshots.blogspot.com/ - My SQL Server exam resources blog
  • Options
    Dracula28Dracula28 Member Posts: 232
    mattlee09 wrote: »
    "MCITP Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-646): Windows Server® 2008 Administrator (2nd Edition)
    Orin Thomas and Ian McLean"

This might be a bit off-topic, but does anyone expect these books to be good or worth it? In particular, the one I quoted, since its from the 2 authors that gave us the 70-680 book.

After taking the 70-680 and failing, using the MS Press book (and several others, but still) my faith in the Press books are a little shaken. I guess we'll have to purchase them anyways as one of the many materials we use, but I'm still worried icon_sad.gif

The 680 book was rushed, and by far the worst MS Press book I've ever read. Orin Thomas also co-wrote the excellent 70-290 book, and is a thorough professional. I remember passing the 270 exam way back in 2004, much thanks to his practice questions on CertTutor.net, which I think he was a co-founder of. I have not really read the 646 book, but I would definitely give Orin Thomas the benefit of the doubt.
    Current certs: MCP (210) MCSA (270, 290, 291 and 680) MCTS (680, 640)