Options

Should a CCNA certified member also get N+ ?

thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
If so, in which circumstances? Or, how is he able to strengthen his
skills(abilities) at the system side (with which certification)?
Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

Comments

• Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    For someone with little to no experience it may be hard to find a job with the CCNA on the resume. Hiring managers may be reluctant to let a CCNA with no experience loose on their Cisco equipment. And for the lower level help desk roles a hiring manager may be reluctant to take the chance on someone with a CCNA because they assume you are going to jump ship.

If someone finds themselves in that situation it may be useful to get some more entry level type certs: A+, Net+, MCDST or one of the client exams.

Otherwise for someone with the CCNA and a bit of experience I would think that CCNA should also indicate a mastery of the vendor neutral theory and skills tested on the Net+. For that person I probably wouldn't think about the Net+ unless it was required by an employer. For that person it would seem more logical to think about what they work with and what they would like to work with and add the appropriate MS or Cisco certs.
  • Options
    ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    If you have CCNA I don't see much value in Network+....

If you want to learn more on the systems side Microsoft, Citrix, VMware(class is $$, but skills are important), and linux.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ibcritn wrote: »
    If you have CCNA I don't see much value in Network+....

If you want to learn more on the systems side Microsoft, Citrix, VMware(class is $$, but skills are important), and linux.

+1

If you have your CCNA then I would focus on more Cisco or something else. Network + for pieced together some information while filling the knowledge gaps. If you have the CCNA I would skip right on by Network +
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree with everyone else. Even if you went the DoD you'd be better off getting Security+ to qualify you for IAT levels 1 and 2 or IAM level 1.
  • Options
    gosh1976 wrote: »
    For someone with little to no experience it may be hard to find a job with the CCNA on the resume. Hiring managers may be reluctant to let a CCNA with no experience loose on their Cisco equipment. And for the lower level help desk roles a hiring manager may be reluctant to take the chance on someone with a CCNA because they assume you are going to jump ship.

If someone finds themselves in that situation it may be useful to get some more entry level type certs: A+, Net+, MCDST or one of the client exams.

Otherwise for someone with the CCNA and a bit of experience I would think that CCNA should also indicate a mastery of the vendor neutral theory and skills tested on the Net+. For that person I probably wouldn't think about the Net+ unless it was required by an employer. For that person it would seem more logical to think about what they work with and what they would like to work with and add the appropriate MS or Cisco certs.

Your first sentences point out a nice determination. i could only work and have experience two months in a big corporation. Called first-level troubleshooting in network section over Cisco modem and WAPs. However, my certification didn't change my life even a little. Same difficulties at finding a job keep going.Im about to get crazy. Moreover, sometimes, i bear in my mind to die for rescue.

Net+ cert idea doesn't belong to me. Certain people in other forums thought like that by making a decision in order me to fill some gaps.

I really feel depressed about it.
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No cert will hurt you.

But the Network+ won't help you too much and it is pretty expensive. Your time/money could be used more efficiently in other areas.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A lot of people will skip the lower level entry certifications because they think they will learn the information when they study the "better" certifications -- unfortunately if they are an IT noob, they've missed out on the repetition of information that leads to building a solid foundation of computer knowledge.

If someone has already been working in IT and has the "street smarts" they may be able to get away with skipping the CompTIA certifications -- as long as they've got the skills and experience (and some other buzzwords that get their resume pulled from a pile).

If someone is just trying to start their IT career, they may go and get the Network+ after the CCENT or CCNA to get an easy additional certification (if they don't mind spending the money) to list on their resume. But you'll probably never know if dropping that job at the Mall Ice Cream Parlor from your resume to make room for the Network+ Certification is what got you that phone interview....
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You never know if the cert itself will help you but it can't hurt. The least you might want todo would be to study the material as if you were studying for the test itself. You're bound to get some extra networking knowledge that you didn't get while studying for the CCNA. As Mikej412 said above that cert could be the litte edge you have to get that phone call for an interview.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    In my country, in business field there is a rule : if you are not either much intelligent or do not have relatives in management department of the corporation, you are required to know plenty of things in your field of interest/profession and have more certificates also at least 2-3 years of experience.

Tell me, if circumstances are rather heavy as above, how are you able to improve your skills practically since you have not got a job?

In other words, how can you gain 2-3 years of experience without having a job?

• Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    thedrama wrote: »
    In my country, in business field there is a rule : if you are not either much intelligent or do not have relatives in management department of the corporation, you are required to know plenty of things in your field of interest/profession and have more certificates also at least 2-3 years of experience.

Tell me, if circumstances are rather heavy as above, how are you able to improve your skills practically since you have not got a job?

In other words, how can you gain 2-3 years of experience without having a job?

are you from turkey?