Cell Internet Service

Unforg1venUnforg1ven Member Posts: 108
I looking into moving away from traditional cable/dsl internet access.

What providers have the best internet service using their cell networks? ATT/Virgin Mobile/Verizon etc.?? Keep in mind, I am not interested in phone bundles and all that jazz ;)

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Next on Tap>> WGU B.S. IT - Network Administration
MCSA:2008 Complete >> Capstone left!

####################################
"One of God's own prototypes... too weird to live, too rare to die..."

Comments

• BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well Im am using Clear's WiMax, that runs on Sprint's system. Somedays it's unbelievably fast, other days the connection drops out a lot. It came built in to my laptop (Asus) so if I want to use it, I am locked into a contract with Clear for two years. $45.00/month.

What I don't like about it, is I connect to a tower just up the street from me, yet when I do a speed test, it tells me I am in southern Tx. Long way from St Paul, MN area. I checked with Clear, and they said nothing they can do about it. "IP addresses are not assigned geographically." True, but others in the area pull up MN, so I dont know what the deal is with mine.

What I do like is the go anywhere, do anything feature, and not dependent on hot spots.

If I were to do it again, I would forgo the built in feature, or at least turn it off, and get the Clear modem for the house on a month to month contract.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Have you actually checked that a mobile broadband connection via celluar is actually something that would be suitable for your usage patterns? The mobile broadband packages advertised here generally gloss over or relegate to the fine print certain important pieces of information about the service.

Good:
    Its convenient as you can use it away from home or whilst travelling.
    Potentially faster than your regular broadband connection.

Bad:
    No SLA. Even worse than your DSL/cable no SLA. Think entire areas losing service for periods of time.
    Okay to awful latency on connections depending on cell and whether its 3G or "4G". If you game this is going to kill you.
    Throughput can be like a dial up modem if you're in a bad signal area or overloaded cell.
    Expensive.
    May have transfer caps. If you use any kind of P2P app or streaming media then you may find it not viable.