Options

Android App Recommendations

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
Ok, got an Android based phone today, so looking for recommendations on some good apps for the phone. Would like some good learning, aka flash card types if anyone has some that work.

Comments

• Options
    ConradJConradJ Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Depending on your job, the the WiFi Anaylzer may be useful to you?
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I'm linking to Cyrket because there doesn't seem to be any better way of linking to the Android Market. These are all fairly normal apps and shouldn't require anything more than Android 1.6 or 2.0 without rooting. They're all free but some may have adverts or a donation option.

As always, check before installing any Android apps to see if they appear malicious or not and read some of the reviews. Look at the requested permissions and don't install anything which asks for bizarre or unusual permissions such as the ability to send SMS messages. If there is no legitimate reason for it to do that then it might actually be hiding malware inside. Watch out for clones of existing apps made by some random person as well.

3G Watchdog if you've got transfer caps on your data plan.
    Barcode Scanner if your phone doesn't come with something that does it already.
    ConnectBot does local shell, telnet and SSH.
    Colornote for todo lists and general notes.
    GPS Status which shows you way more information than you ever need to know about your GPS and your location.
    WiFi Analyzer just shows you available SSIDs and their signal strength. Doesn't really do hidden ones very well but still handy.

The next one is odd. I figured it was a scam but it does actually work and with a reasonable accuracy on my particular phone.

Instant Heart Rate uses the camera and the flash/light if you've got one to detect the slight colour change in your finger caused by your pulse. Probably not useful for most people but still neat to mess around with if at least temporarily.

You should be able to find all the mainstream stuff yourself easily enough e.g. Amazon Kindle, pretty much most of the mainstream Google apps that aren't already installed in your phone actually etc...
  • Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Some days, Tanks & Turrets is all that I can think about. Try it, your get sucked in!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Nothing to do with learning, but Angry Birds is a must have. :D
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    jmreichajmreicha Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    GTasks -- Good to do list app. Integrates with gmail task lists.
    Kindle -- Free ebook reader, syncs with ebooks purchased through Amazon.
    GRemote -- Control your PC using this app through your phone.
    ConnectBot -- SSH client for your phone. Good when you're in a pinch.
  • Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    Bokeh wrote: »
    Ok, got an Android based phone today, so looking for recommendations on some good apps for the phone. Would like some good learning, aka flash card types if anyone has some that work.
    Dude, me too. I got me a Droid X. I am really happy because this is my first smart phone. I am in search of really helpful apps as well.

It would be nice if they have a pdf reader that is similar to Goodreader from iPhone. This will be used for studying.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    The driod market is pretty aweful compated to itunes imho, but im stuck on my motodroid for a while.

I get alot of mileage from (all free):
    USA Today
    NY Times
    NFL News
    Pandora
    The Weather channel (widgit)
    Zedge
    Angry Birds
    Angry Birds Holidays
    Robo Defense (purchase)
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nothing to do with learning, but Angry Birds is a must have. :D

Yea, that game is addicting. IT takes up alot of space, around 12 MB I think....worth it though icon_lol.gif
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thought i'd bump this thread and ask if anyone knows a good app for playing WMV videos
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA