Options

Books or Nook or Kindle?

cisco_certscisco_certs Member Posts: 119
Ive been thinking of buying the Nook Color so i can upload all my PDF files to Nook and carry it anywhere.

What do you guys think?
Any comments about Nook vs Kindle vs reading from a book?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I tried reading PDFs on the normal Nook, they were too small. Everyone here suggested the Kindle DX was the best. So "Santa" was very gracious with me, and the Kindle DX is excellent for PDFs as well as normal text. I wouldn't go any other way.
  • Options
    cisco_certscisco_certs Member Posts: 119
    why was kindle dx better?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My DX is en route and will be here early next week. I've had the reader on my PC and iPhone for awhile, but I finally broke down and got the actual unit.
    why was kindle dx better?

Magic Eight Ball says: Bigger is better.
  • Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    I got the Kindle DX and actually bought Exchange 2010 Best Practices for it. It was cool but my wife was using it so much for her books that I decided to return it and buy the real thing.

I went with the DX because I read somewhere that it was better for displaying graphs, tables, graphics etc.
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    If you're reading PDFs then you'll want something like the Kindle DX as the screen is significantly larger. PDFs aren't really designed to be easily reflowed so you need the bigger screen to view them properly and the Kindle PDF viewer doesn't do reflowing at all. Be aware that the Kindle DX is still on the older v2.x firmware unlike the new Kindle 3 which is on v3.x which has quite a few changes and enhancements.

If it is a real eBook format then its not a big deal as it will reflow properly. ePub is NOT supported on a Kindle so if you've got ePub files from a store or from the library then you can't directly transfer them on. The Kindle supports Mobipocket which is also widely used however.

As for books vs ebooks, I use both. Its nice to be able to quickly skim through a real book and its much easier to leave multiple books open for reference. However, the ebook advantage is that you can carry around your entire library in one reasonably compact device.
    dynamik wrote: »
    Magic Eight Ball says: Bigger is better.
    Thats what she said. Hurr hurr
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wanna get the Kindle DX but it's expensive for me, I really like it's features.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    While it's not on your list, I prefer the iPad because it gives me the widest selection of ebook formats to read from. Being able to pull in pdf, epub, mobi, and Kindle books is too good to pass up.

That and I've tried both a Kindle and Nook and had issues with .pdf.

I actually use both, ereader and books. I've bought quite a few books in both formats. The ereader serves as my reference platform, I prefer to study from real books, especially when doing lab work. But the ereader is convenient for studying in places like the doctor's office, on the train, or on the crapper.