Options

Narbik's Boot Camp

jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
Well I am in Richardson, TX about to attend Narbik's CIERS-I bootcamp this week. I will try to provide some nightly updates if you guys want to hear about it. I heard the class runs pretty late though, so we will see what happens. For now, back to my beer.

Comments

• Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Soak in the opportunity! Let us know how it goes.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I will try to provide some nightly updates if you guys want to hear about it.
    Nightly updates would be useful -- if you do have the time and it doesn't take away from your study/lab time.

Or you can just post nightly "too tired, must sleep" or "too drunk, must sleep" updates to let us know you're still alive -- and then post a review after the bootcamp. :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    I've heard his bootcamps are great, will be difficult for me to attend one though. Wish they would be a bit closer to where I am located :)
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well I am in Richardson, TX about to attend Narbik's CIERS-I bootcamp this week. I will try to provide some nightly updates if you guys want to hear about it. I heard the class runs pretty late though, so we will see what happens. For now, back to my beer.

If you are going to a bootcamp I would completely forget about this place and all other distractions. Other than personal hygene, sleep and mealtimes all you should be doing is either sitting in class or working very late on labs. You will find two kinds of candidates in bootcamps, those who are serious and those who are not.
  • Options
    CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    Turgon wrote: »
    If you are going to a bootcamp I would completely forget about this place and all other distractions. Other than personal hygene, sleep and mealtimes all you should be doing is either sitting in class or working very late on labs. You will find two kinds of candidates in bootcamps, those who are serious and those who are not.

spot on... nothing else to add...
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If he is at narbik's bootcamp he won't have time do anything else! I know
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    keenon wrote: »
    If he is at narbik's bootcamp he won't have time do anything else! I know

Thats an understatement. 9a-10p today. Had to hop online anyways, so thought I might drop a line here. 8 hr mock assessment lab to start the day, then on to layer 2 security , and frame relay. Narbik lives up to all expectations in terms of teaching approach and knowledge. We got lunch, but besides that your on your own...so bring plenty of snacks.
  • Options
    Well I am home now...a bit exhausted. Like I mentioned before, day 1 was fun. Since Narbiks camp is now associated with the 360 program you get two assessment labs during the week. The first one is the first day, and is just core technologies. You get 8 hrs, but I was done in about 4 (it was not all that difficult). The second is a full scale lab...troubleshooting then configuration (this is Thursday). It is a beast, and starting the whole deal at 6pm after a full day of class makes it even more unforgettable. You get two racks for the week, one from Cisco, and another from Narbik (one for each topology). You also get cisco's 360 labs workbooks, and Narbiks boot camp 2.0, advanced technologies workbooks 2.0, and his troubleshooting wb's (fantastic material).

So day 1 was the mock assessment lab, and then switching security and frame relay. Day 2 was IGP's, day 3 was bgp and mpls, day 4 qos (l2 and l3), and a huge mock lab. Day 5 was a half-day covering multicasting. That is it, and about all you can cover in 5 days truthfully. If you want the other stuff you have to attend his 12-day in Glendale, CA (IP services, security, etc...).

I took enough notes to fill a notebook, and really just tried to soak everything in. The dude is brilliant, and his delivery is fantastic. You have all probably heard; he is solely whiteboard...no slides. He will note his outline of what he is about to cover for each subject on the board, and then he just crosses them off as he covers them. Even going 12 + hours every day, you never find yourself tired or about to fall asleep. It is a totally different experience than what I had in college. Narbik is full of energy, and it shows in his lectures that he is very knowledgeable and enthusiastic on what he is talking about. He is an ios dictionary, and can draw out headers from memory. He has fully labbed everything that he is talking to you about, and will tell you if what he has found is different than what Cisco or someone else tells you...then he will prove it to you. Like I said, it was a truly great week of learning and labbing. When you get back to your hotel you are so tired...but cant help yourself from cracking a beer and starting a telnet session to your rack. I do recommend Narbik's boot camp to anyone looking at boot camps as it is extremely useful in both gaining knowledge and affirming knowledge. Plus the dude is extremely funny, and will keep you having fun through the whole week.
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds like a great experience!! Once I begin my journey to CCIE (maybe a year away), I'll definitely attend his bootcamp! Nice write-up/recap! Enjoy some time with the family and study up on topics in which you feel you can improve. Good luck in your trek to those "magical" numbers!

Drink one for me... drunken_smilie.gif

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Fantastic to hear all of that! I will be sure to check him out of my journey takes me to the R&S CCIE.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yep, I attended at the end of 09 and it was the same. Can't wait until he's close enough for me a do the free retake
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons