Options

Monitor problems

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
I just recently installed a new Video card GEFORCE 9500 GT and a few days later started having problems. I don't know if the problem is with the card or the monitor. On the secondary monitor (dual monitors) the monitor will intermittently go out requiring me to press power switch on monitor to "reboot" it.
Any ideas on if it might be the video card or the monitor and how to verify which it is.
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Swap the monitor and cable between the ports. If it still does it on the secondary display then your card or drivers are screwed up in some way.
  • Options
    Did all that. Appeared to be the cable. Then I decided to check the adapters (DVI-VGA) and the adapter was screwed on too tightly....should have been just fingertight but had attached it with a screwdriver (over-torqued)...easy fix.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Just now revisting this. Thought problem was fixed. Must be monitor but now it only occurs when I open the browser (or an application) on that monitor and it completes opening. Strange occurence. At first it also did it after I took computer out of sleep ode.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    You swapped the monitors around and its following the monitor? If not then I'd suspect a fault with the video card itself. I've had weird issues where specific screen layouts would cause it to freak out and it turned out to be bad video RAM.

You tried reseating the video card?
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    earweed wrote: »
    Just now revisting this. Thought problem was fixed. Must be monitor but now it only occurs when I open the browser (or an application) on that monitor and it completes opening. Strange occurence. At first it also did it after I took computer out of sleep ode.

If it's powering down like that it's most likely the monitor. I dealt with these problems for several years and that's what it almost always is.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Assuming it is following the monitor, the monitor is LCD, and the problem exhibits itself coming out of sleep mode; likely suspect is the monitor power supply is being overloaded and shutting down. Most likely cause aging display lamps which need replacing. Have you also noticed that sometimes that monitor takes a while to become fully bright? The lamps will eventually take out the monitor supply because of the pull on the high voltage inverter. Just another reason for LED lighting in monitors. Depending on the model, you may find replacement lamps on Ebay should you wish to attempt a repair vs replacement.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    That could be the problem. It finally went out completely. It wasn't less bright but just began going out more each time I used it. It would go out right after I started my PC when it got its first full screen display but would work fine after turning off and on again. It then began doing it 2 then 3 times after initial start up and then finally went out.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    earweed wrote: »
    That could be the problem. It finally went out completely.

Yeah we have NEC's and Samsung's that do it all the time.

I had a feeling it was the monitor.

Hope it doesn't cost you to much for a replacement.

-PW
  • Options
    $94 on Amazon. I'm looking for cheaper ones