Options

Microsoft Interview

Hey all I am going for a position at Microsoft and the position is premier field engineer. I have passed the first interview and the second one is friday. If anybody has interviewed with microsoft lately please help with what kind of questions they ask for the in depth technical interview. I would also like to know what to expect after.
On the road to MCITP......

Comments

• Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    this sounds like a job for Mr. Agent
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are you going in for finals day? If so, your recruiter should have sent you a document with what you will be asked etc. Is this for platforms?
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    see, told you
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    peakbagger66peakbagger66 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey all I am going for a position at Microsoft and the position is premier field engineer. I have passed the first interview and the second one is friday. If anybody has interviewed with microsoft lately please help with what kind of questions they ask for the in depth technical interview. I would also like to know what to expect after.

What I want to know is, how you got to that point where they actually wanted to interview you in the first place icon_smile.gif. Must be some pretty good work experience under your belt!
  • Options
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    see, told you

:D
    What I want to know is, how you got to that point where they actually wanted to interview you in the first place icon_smile.gif. Must be some pretty good work experience under your belt!

I dont know about him, bue Ive been in the IT field since 95. I have military experience, and experience running AD/Exchange with large clients.
  • Options
    MrAgent wrote: »
    :D

I dont know about him, bue Ive been in the IT field since 95. I have military experience, and experience running AD/Exchange with large clients.

I wonder if large clients/Enterprise experience is what is desired. I have been in the IT field as long as you, starting with NetWare servers and then migrating into Microsoft servers but really, I have never gone much larger than a school district. Then again, I have never applied...! No military XP, either. Perhaps that's another standout item...
  • Options
    donald7862003donald7862003 Member Posts: 128
    Thanks for the reply... this is the phone technical interview... They did not send me a list of things i should know I am just going off what the position details

Primary responsibilities include providing on-site technical support solutions for customer service delivery and availability, while ensuring satisfaction with Microsoft software on the client and server. The successful candidate will be capable of providing field technical support and proactive service presence for groups in the Microsoft Services organization, including but not limited to Premier and Professional Support, Microsoft Consulting Services, and escalation engineers (CPR). The Premier Field Engineer acts as the primary onsite technical contact, providing customer visibility, advanced technical troubleshooting support and problem resolution for Product Support Services and corporate customers, including issues escalated to the highest levels of management. The candidate will provide technical support including product technical training onsite, as well as via telephone, and electronic media. Candidate must be able to manage hot issues by setting customer expectations, devising and implementing action plans, being available 24x7 and professionally communicating to all parties involved.

Recommended qualifications include: Superior problem solving and troubleshooting skills at the System Engineer level; exceptional customer service, overall communication and technical writing skills. Must have sufficient technical depth to communicate with development and other internal organizations at a peer level; Must possess the ability to work independently with minimal management supervision and as part of a nationwide team of engineers; Demonstrated aptitude for providing exceptional customer service in politically charged environments; Ability to enhance the technical expertise of peers via the development of product training, mentoring of new hires, and team content development; Ability to apply technology to improve existing products and systems at customers and for internal use; Ability to actively participate in team support by proposing and implementing solutions; Assist in developing strategies to gain additional Premier support accounts by contacting and establishing relationships with Premier Support Managers and Technical Account Managers.

Technical Requirements: Solid understanding of client/server, networking, and Internet technologies fundamentals. Candidate must possess superior knowledge and demonstrated technical proficiency in 2000/2003 Server and Microsoft client products, Active Directory design and deployment, DNS, DHCP and other related areas with troubleshooting at the expert level within large network environments. In addition, the successful candidate must possess excellent knowledge of TCP/IP and other protocols including use of troubleshooting tools - scripting, resource kit diagnostic tools and packet sniffers and\or Netmon. Five or more years experience in systems development, network operations, and software support or I.T. consulting. Five or more year’s industry experience with Microsoft products, effective learning skills, works well in a team environment, Strong problem-solving skills.
  • Options
    Also I have about 8 years experience in IT.. I worked for the Air force as a windows/exchange admin, I have done AD & Exchange Migrations and worked in AD in Afghanistan...
  • Options
    Based on the description, I would assume its platforms (servers/AD).

I would expect to be asked heavily about replication, FRS, DNS, and definitely the 5 FSMO roles. The tech interview isnt hard at all.

Finals day is nerve racking.
  • Options
    I don't think I got it... I missed a couple questions and I didn't get the warm and fuzzy feeling at the end of the interview. I am trying to remain hopeful, but I think i need to dive deeper into my studies. It was a great learning process though!
  • Options
    I don't think I got it... I missed a couple questions and I didn't get the warm and fuzzy feeling at the end of the interview. I am trying to remain hopeful, but I think i need to dive deeper into my studies. It was a great learning process though!

Sorry to hear! You never know, the lack of warm fuzzies may prove you wrong.

What kind of questions did they ask on the tech interview? At what level? Deeper than the exams?
  • Options
    They ask you to name the FSMO roles, and general questions on FRS. Its not so much that you miss the question as they want to see your thought process.
  • Options
    MrAgent wrote: »
    They ask you to name the FSMO roles, and general questions on FRS. Its not so much that you miss the question as they want to see your thought process.

Ahhh, I see. Even with the general nature of the questions, it's hard to predict how I woud do "under the gun". Probably not well!

MrAgent do you work for MS?
  • Options
    No, I ended up not going with them and instead with a company called Fusion IO.
  • Options
    Update have not heard anything from Microsoft.. I wish they would just confirm either I am moving on to the next interview or i didnt get it
  • Options
    It took them about 2 weeks to tell me that I had made it to finals.
  • Options
    BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    You're going to get paid bank for this you'll be travelling to different state/country all food/hotel/travel are reimbursed, I interviewed for the same position back in 2006 I believe, and that time the position was paying 90 - 120K, plus 3,000 $ you can spend on microsoft product such as x-box and zune!

Goodluck!!!
  • Options
    You dont make a ton at MS from your salary, you make a ton from the stock you get.