Options

Enterprise ios

cspstercspster Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
What ios do I want on my 2950? I have 12.1(11)ea1. It doesn't support ssh.

Comments

• Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    In the Cisco software download site, the ones with SSH capability are the ones with "crypto" in their description. There's a file naming convention that Cisco uses and you Google that up (because I don't remember it) which I believe in some cases indicate some of these features.

Here's an example which I believe supports SSH:

c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-22.EA13.bin
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    The latest is 12.1.22EA14 as of 2nd November 2010.

Cisco have a list of what the codes mean but only for router IOS. They've not documented what all the codes mean for switch IOS. The code for crypto however is documented and you can obviously work it out based on the filenames of the crypto and non crypto versions.

Look for something with k2 e.g. c2950-i6k2l2q4-mz.121-22.EA14.bin

i6 = ??? - IP something. Its not routing as this appears on L2 switches like the 2950s.
    k2 = Encryption
    l2 = ???
    q4 = ???
    m = Runs from RAM
    z = Compressed image
  • Options
    cspstercspster Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks a ton. i eneded up with 121-22.EA14. Is it illegal to share ios
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    cspster wrote: »
    Is it illegal to share ios
    You're not supposed to distribute any IOS files at all. The IOS files for the small fixed configuration switches like the 2950 which don't have any licensed features are generally available from cisco.com with just a registered guest account and don't require a service contract however.