Options

1760 memory question

geek4godgeek4god Member Posts: 187
Okay, having a lot of fun learning this stuff, but it is all a little overwhelming! I have decided to pick up a few more 1760s since I had one with the 32meg flash. Going to max them with 128 dram, but noticed on the Cisco website that the flash will go to 64meg. I assume this is another slot as I am seeing 32meg flash memory on eBay. Is it worth it to upgrade to 64meg on the flash and is it just a matter of plugging a SIMM in?

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    1760s came in two versions. One had 16MB of flash and 32MB of memory soldered in and the other had 32MB of flash and 64MB of memory soldered in. Both came with a socket for 1 flash SIMM and 1 memory SIMM and that largest flash SIMM they supported is 32MB.

You need to look at your 1760 to see what type it is. The 1760s with the built in 32MB flash had a little black square with 32 in it above where the Ethernet interface is. You can also obviously open it to check.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    1760s came in two versions. One had 16MB of flash and 32MB of memory soldered in and the other had 32MB of flash and 64MB of memory soldered in. Both came with a socket for 1 flash SIMM and 1 memory SIMM and that largest flash SIMM they supported is 32MB.

You need to look at your 1760 to see what type it is. The 1760s with the built in 32MB flash had a little black square with 32 in it above where the Ethernet interface is. You can also obviously open it to check.

All have the black square.. Is it worth it to go to 64MB on the flash?
  • Options
    geek4god wrote: »
    All have the black square.. Is it worth it to go to 64MB on the flash?
    If you want to mess around with CME then probably a good idea to upgrade. The maximum memory you can have is 160MB.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    If you want to mess around with CME then probably a good idea to upgrade. The maximum memory you can have is 160MB.

Will do as they are cheap.. I was looking at the IOS images and the 14T ADVANCED ENTERPRISE SERVICES requires 160mb which I thought was odd as the MAX DRAM is 128 on the 1760, but it was still listed as an option for the 1700 series. Do you add the expanded flash and the DRAM to figure the memory for the IOS image?
  • Options
    geek4god wrote: »
    Will do as they are cheap.. I was looking at the IOS images and the 14T ADVANCED ENTERPRISE SERVICES requires 160mb which I thought was odd as the MAX DRAM is 128 on the 1760, but it was still listed as an option for the 1700 series. Do you add the expanded flash and the DRAM to figure the memory for the IOS image?
    If you want 160MB memory then you need to have the 1760 with 64MB soldered in and add a 128MB SIMM. It only actually recognises a maximum of 160MB even though you've got more fitted.