Options

Not sure what modules I need

brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
I made my monetary commitment to ccna this week purchasing 2x2610XMs and 2x2650, and i went ahead and got the 16u skeletek to try to keep this neat for the mrs. I will get another router (2610 or 2620) and possibly another switch.

What I'm not sure about is what kinds of modules should I be looking at to connect the routers. They both come with a WIC-1DSU-T1, but from what I've looked at in the home lab thread and elsewhere, people are using serial connections, and a serial crossover cable.

If I have 3 routers, what are my options in terms of modules to connect them. How much should I look to pay for them on ebay?

Comments

• Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Your options are to continue using the WIC-1DSU-T1 modules that you already have, the WIC-1T and the WIC-2T. Cabling will of course depend on which WIC modules you go with.

For the most part, there isn't much difference in a lab environment. Personally, I standardized on the WIC-1T's because I also have a few 2500's that have those type of ports built in. Some prefer to spend a little more and get the WIC-2T's and have more ports available. The WIC-1DSU-T1 is usually the cheapest of the three options, and you can build your own custom length cables which helps keep things neat and probably ends up being cheaper than buying cables for any of the options. You can also buy cables that can connect a WIC-1T with a WIC-2T, but you can't connect a WIC-1DSU-T1 with either a WIC-1T or a WIC-2T.

There's also the NM-4A/S and NM-8A/S which give you 4 and 8 ports, respectively, and use the same type of connectors as the WIC-1T. You can use these in addition to WIC's.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Thanks for the reply. So when I have all 3 routers, If I have (1) WIC-2T with 2 serial interfaces, and (2) WIC-1T - that will be enough to connect my routers? Where would I have the ISP come in? One of the WIC-1DSU-T1's?

I wish there was a link that broke down all the WICs and showed when they're best used etc.
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have both WIC 1T cards and T1 DSU\CSU. My old 2500's had the serials, and my 2600's came with some DSU\CSU. I picked the DSU\CSU cards for 5 bucks a piece instead of going with buying 2T cards at their 25+ each price plus cables.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action