Options

Router for a Terminal Server

Dave88LXDave88LX Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
Did some researching and reading. I found that the Cisco 2509 through 2512 are used as Terminal Servers, with the 2509 and 2511 being the most popular, at 8 and 16 devices respectively, with Ethernet instead of Token Ring (2510/8 port, 2512/16 port).
Cisco 2509, 2510, 2511, and 2512 - Overview of the Cisco 2500 Series Access Server - Cisco Systems

I also learned you can use a 2600/3600 series and add an NM-16A or NM-32A card to them, but looking at eBay, this does not seem to be a very cost-effective solution for a terminal server. Is this correct?

An Octal cable can be had cheaply (~$25) from various sources such as MonoPrice etc.

Is it worth it to look for an -RJ model of the 2511 for any reason? Or just get the best valued 16/16 2511 in good condition I can find, and grab an Octal cable for it?

If it matters I will be using this beyond CCNA level stuff.

Lastly, what is considered a "great" price for a 2511?

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The RJ version of the 2511 is the way to go if you know how to make cables.

Otherwise, go with the octal cable model as it's usually less expensive to buy octal cables when compared to the price for 16 rollover cables.

$200 is a great price, $250 is a fair price IMO

Good luck with your lab.
  • Options
    Oooh yeah, making cables isn't a problem. I haven't looked at the required pinout yet; is it just a rollover cable?

Also, my technical mind wants to know what makes the RJ version more desirable?

Thanks!

Also, do they all require a
    AUI / RJ45 Transceiver?

EDIT: Found this thread here.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/21012-2509-vs-2509-rj-vs-2511-a.html

mikej412 wrote: »
    The main advantage of the RJ interface version is you can do custom cabling. If you have lots of large devices in multiple racks, you can still use the one access server.

For a home lab it may not be worth the extra money, unless you have your lab equipment spread out over a larger area.
  • Options
    I did find one for what seems like a cheap price (still open bid), but, it looks like an older IOS with less memory. How crucial is it to get it at 16/16, and a newer IOS? Just wondering.

IOS (tm) 3000 Software (IGS-I-L), Version 11.1(24a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    cisco 2511 (68030) processor (revision M) with 6144K/2048K bytes of memory.
    4096K bytes of processor board System flash (Read ONLY)

Probably better off holding out for a higher memory model? Or, is memory cheap/accessible for these?

Also, what does the "AS" model offer over the non-AS?
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/products_data_sheet09186a008009204c.html

I found that, but, the information isn't meaning anything to me at this point...?
  • Options
    JollycorkJollycork Member Posts: 149
    Dave88LX wrote: »
    I did find one for what seems like a cheap price (still open bid), but, it looks like an older IOS with less memory. How crucial is it to get it at 16/16, and a newer IOS? Just wondering.

IOS (tm) 3000 Software (IGS-I-L), Version 11.1(24a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    cisco 2511 (68030) processor (revision M) with 6144K/2048K bytes of memory.
    4096K bytes of processor board System flash (Read ONLY)

Probably better off holding out for a higher memory model? Or, is memory cheap/accessible for these?

Also, what does the "AS" model offer over the non-AS?
    Cisco 2500 Access Server Series [Cisco 2500 Series Routers] - Cisco Systems

I found that, but, the information isn't meaning anything to me at this point...?

Personally, I just use mine as an access server and nothing else. It works to telnet in and I don't care about memory and IOS.

But if you are going to use it for other tasks as well as an access server then yeah, IOS ver and memory [DRAM & Flash] do count. [they do have serial ports and an AUI port one can use]
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Dave88LX wrote:
    Oooh yeah, making cables isn't a problem. I haven't looked at the required pinout yet; is it just a rollover cable?

Also, my technical mind wants to know what makes the RJ version more desirable?
    Thanks!

Also, do they all require a AUI / RJ45 Transceiver?

Yes, it's a rollover cable.

And you need a transceiver if you use the ethernet interface.

I have an RJ model and I like it because

a. I make my own cables
    b. I can make a long cable for devices that are not local to my main rack
  • Options
    How big is your rack/how much gear do you have? Sorry if I've missed it in another thread.

are all the 'RJ' models an AS2511-RJ? I'm trying to determine what the 'AS' denotes in front of some models.
  • Options
    ZeroHunterZeroHunter Member Posts: 148
    Netwurk wrote: »

$200 is a great price, $250 is a fair price IMO

Good luck with your lab.

Another option to look at:
    c0op3r.com - SCS1620 Pg1

Techexams Thread on Console Server
    Z3r0

Skool: Herzing Univ for CCNA
    c0op3r.com
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    How big is your rack/how much gear do you have? Sorry if I've missed it in another thread.

are all the 'RJ' models an AS2511-RJ? I'm trying to determine what the 'AS' denotes in front of some models.

Access Server
  • Options
    jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    NM-16A is the way to go IMO, it just makes things better without an extra device taking up power, space and noise
  • Options
    Extra device being what, the transceiver?

ZeroHunter -- Thanks for showing another option. I think I would prefer to go with a Cisco solution to school myself on how to do it though.
  • Options

ZeroHunter -- Thanks for showing another option. I think I would prefer to go with a Cisco solution to school myself on how to do it though.

I fully understand, I did not even know about the terminal servers when I starting building my Lab Setup, just when I saw that price point at 200+ I wanted to make sure you knew of other options.

Please those old 2500 Series units a a bit ancient.
    Z3r0

c0op3r.com
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    ZeroHunter wrote: »
    I fully understand, I did not even know about the terminal servers when I starting building my Lab Setup, just when I saw that price point at 200+ I wanted to make sure you knew of other options.

Please those old 2500 Series units a a bit ancient.

They're solid though. Most Cisco gear can withstand good amounts of heat and abuse. it's only the parts that move, like internal fans and power supply fans that wear out, and they can be replaced at a fraction of the cost.

I got my 2511-RJ off ebay for $100, so good deals can be found.

And I would also recommend using a Cisco solution if you have any aspirations for the CCIE lab, as that's what they use. The last thing you want when you're in the middle of an 8 hour ordeal is to waste time having to figure out how to clear the terminal lines.
  • Options
    jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393

I was talking about the 2500 series. Id rather just put the module in one of the routers already being used as opposed to adding a 2500 series to the picture
  • Options
    OK I get it. You have a router that supports whatever you need it to do; and just added the module into it for the terminal server. Good idea too.
  • Options
    lwwarnerlwwarner Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OK I get it. You have a router that supports whatever you need it to do; and just added the module into it for the terminal server. Good idea too.
    Yes. For example, in my lab rack I have a 2620 with an NM-16A plus a pair of WIC-2Ts installed. This gives me a single router that doubles as my terminal server and a 4-port frame relay switch.

As for the RJ models, I don't see the advantage. You can just as easily create custom adapters and extensions for the octal cables as needed.
  • Options
    I was going to say "Oh wow, the 2620 can be had for only ~$40!

Then I saw the NM-16A costs ~$190.icon_sad.gif

To be honest I don't know anything about frame-relay switching. Can you run it as a terminal server, router, and frame relay switch all at the same time?

How many are required for most labs?
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I was going to say "Oh wow, the 2620 can be had for only ~$40!

Then I saw the NM-16A costs ~$190.icon_sad.gif
    The NM-16A is used for connecting to the console ports of other devices as a terminal server. It isn't for frame relay.
  • Options
    Right on, I guess I wasn't clear. I meant "Oh great, I can pick up a 2620 for $40!" And then "Oh bummer, but need to spend another $190 to get it to function as a terminal server." Sorry for the confusion...

Looks like something which will take the NM-16A is going to be more versatile than just a 2511 which can probably only be used as a terminal server?
  • Options
    SUBnet192SUBnet192 Banned Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks to this thread (NOT) I am selling my 2511 and I bought 2 Lantronix SCS1620 from ebay... :)
  • Options
    SUBnet192 wrote: »
    Thanks to this thread (NOT) I am selling my 2511 and I bought 2 Lantronix SCS1620 from ebay... :)

Now you are talking, email when you need help
    Z3r0

c0op3r.com
  • Options
    zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got my 2511-RJ off ebay for $100, so good deals can be found.

Wow, great deal. I got my 2511 with two octal cables for $190 about a year ago or so.
    :study: Life+
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Looks like something which will take the NM-16A is going to be more versatile than just a 2511 which can probably only be used as a terminal server?
    Yup. You can get NM-32A as well if you've got a really big lab. Sometimes you find NM-16As going for less than 2511s as people don't always look for the NMs.
  • Options
    ZeroHunter wrote: »
    Now you are talking, email when you need help

Thanks.. I just hope they are functional. Auction stated "pulled working from a production environment"... I offered 300$ for 2 and got them. If they are both good, I'll resell one of them (tested thoroughly) to try and offset the cost of mine (a bit at least) as I saw them sell for 400$-600$...

If anyone's looking for a 2511 with 2 octal cables & AUI to RJ45 adapter let me know! :)
  • Options
    Thanks.. I just hope they are functional. Auction stated "pulled working from a production environment"... I offered 300$ for 2 and got them. If they are both good, I'll resell one of them (tested thoroughly) to try and offset the cost of mine (a bit at least) as I saw them sell for 400$-600$...

If anyone's looking for a 2511 with 2 octal cables & AUI to RJ45 adapter let me know! :)

For that price they better be!
    Did you not want to try to do the repair on the non-working units that sell for about 50.oo?
    Z3r0

c0op3r.com
  • Options

How much are you looking to get for that 2511?

Undecided if I want to get a 2511 or get a 2620 with an NM-16A.
  • Options
    How much are you looking to get for that 2511?

Undecided if I want to get a 2511 or get a 2620 with an NM-16A.

Well, in CAD$ ;) It would be 225$.

I got the SCS boxes today and while the seller said they were both tested, they were not. One was DOA. I opened it up and the power supplies had fried, leaving burn marks on the inside of the cover icon_sad.gif

So I took one PS from the 2nd unit and put it in and it boots up ;)

I am currently reformatting one of the CF cards with the newer update.

** UPDATE

Well I flashed the CF card, and it boots fine, however I can't seem to get the web interface going. Simple enough, go to the menu (setup), enable Web, and that should be it. But no webpage found by my browser...

** UPDATE 2
    I had to allow SSLv2 in my browser (insecure) for it to work. I found out when trying to connect with Firefox, which gave me a decent error message (IE urgh...)

So I'm up and running with this :) Thanks for letting us know about this! Much cooler to use this with dedicated IP addresses from my home "production" network to connect to "lab" environment!

Making cables is a pain though lol