XLSX File

Lee HLee H Posts: 1,135Member
Hi

I have been given an excel file that requires editing but its locked

I can open the file and re-save it but a lot of cells are not selectable, when I click "unlock", it asks me for a password which me or the user doesn't have

I have googled it for a while tried a couple of downloads but to no avail

Help please....
Thanks
.

Comments

  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Posts: 4,317Member
    Without having the file myself and run it through some "password recovery" tools myself I won't be able to help myself.

    Obvious solution is of course asking the person who gave that file to you for the password - SOMEONE got to have it surely ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Lee HLee H Posts: 1,135Member
    Gomjaba wrote: »
    Without having the file myself and run it through some "password recovery" tools myself I won't be able to help myself.

    Obvious solution is of course asking the person who gave that file to you for the password - SOMEONE got to have it surely ...

    Yes I agree that would be the easiest solution

    One particular tool reported to have opened it but when I tried it said corrupted, so am not sure if they even work

    I did find one website that said this.....

    1、Rename the file to .zip, for example, test.xlsx rename to test.zip.
    2、Unzip the .zip file, then open \xl\worksheets\sheet1.xml (if sheet1 has password).
    3、Delete this code: <sheetProtection password=…….. />, save.
    4、Zip the folder to test.zip, the rename it to test.xlsx.
    5、Enjoy

    I can locate the code but its longer than what's stated in step 4, mine is this

    <sheetProtection password="E38B" sheet="1" scenarios="1" selectLockedCells="1"/>

    Once removed the file becomes corrupt

    Any ideas?
    .
  • N2ITN2IT Posts: 7,483Inactive Imported Users
    Lee H wrote: »
    Yes I agree that would be the easiest solution

    One particular tool reported to have opened it but when I tried it said corrupted, so am not sure if they even work

    I did find one website that said this.....

    1、Rename the file to .zip, for example, test.xlsx rename to test.zip.
    2、Unzip the .zip file, then open \xl\worksheets\sheet1.xml (if sheet1 has password).
    3、Delete this code: <sheetProtection password=…….. />, save.
    4、Zip the folder to test.zip, the rename it to test.xlsx.
    5、Enjoy

    I can locate the code but its longer than what's stated in step 4, mine is this

    <sheetProtection password="E38B" sheet="1" scenarios="1" selectLockedCells="1"/>

    Once removed the file becomes corrupt

    Any ideas?


    Can you **** the spreadsheet into Access and then reimport into another sheet?

    Do you have macros created or formulas on this spreadsheet? Is it a fullblown workbook?

    I am just wondering the situation you are in before I make suggestions.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Posts: 4,298Member
    Or save as a CSV?
  • N2ITN2IT Posts: 7,483Inactive Imported Users
    Another thing I would like to know is this workbook ever stored on a network share?

    Who is the owner of the workbook/speadsheet?

    And like Robert said, can you try to save it in another file format CSV, XLS, XLSM, anything like that.
  • tierstentiersten Posts: 4,505Member
    Lee H wrote: »
    I can locate the code but its longer than what's stated in step 4, mine is this

    <sheetProtection password="E38B" sheet="1" scenarios="1" selectLockedCells="1"/>
    Step 3 in your instructions is just an abbreviated indication of what you're supposed to search for. Its not the actual full statement...
  • Lee HLee H Posts: 1,135Member
    A lot of the cells are editable apart from a large table with many figures in it

    I would love it if I could keep the formulas

    How can the table be locked for editing but not anything else?
    .
  • tierstentiersten Posts: 4,505Member
    Lee H wrote: »
    A lot of the cells are editable apart from a large table with many figures in it

    I would love it if I could keep the formulas

    How can the table be locked for editing but not anything else?
    You can protect specific portions of a worksheet as well as the whole file.
  • draineydrainey Posts: 261Member
    You can try this one (password.xla). I have used it successfully to remove the password protection on a worksheet. It claims to work with workbooks also but that I haven't had any luck with.


    Excel password: Excel password remover


    Good luck.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Lee HLee H Posts: 1,135Member
    drainey wrote: »
    You can try this one (password.xla). I have used it successfully to remove the password protection on a worksheet. It claims to work with workbooks also but that I haven't had any luck with.


    Excel password: Excel password remover


    Good luck.

    Get following error, maybe becase its an XLSX file

    "This workbook has lost its VBA project, ActiveX controls and any other programmability-related features."
    .
  • blargoeblargoe Posts: 4,165Member ■■■■■■■■■□
    Try this

    Excel Password Recovery Instructions

    I have also had success in the past resolving weird Excel issues by simply opening the file in OpenOffice, saving it, and then opening it again in Excel.
    IT guy since 12/00

    Recent: 1/29/2018 - Passed 70-743 - MCSA 2016 Complete; 1/13/2018 - Passed 70-411 - MCSA 2012 complete
    Working on: Being a better coder, build/test/deploy automation fundamentals
    Future: Renew VCP (due 2/2019), possibly with an adjacent VCP or VCAP
  • Lee HLee H Posts: 1,135Member
    Update on this....I was able to unlock using

    Excel Password Recovery

    It claims to be thee only application that can unlock 2007-2010 documents and it does work!!!

    Thanks for your help people!!
    .
Sign In or Register to comment.