Options

Is CCENT right for me?

Brownie1985Brownie1985 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys

Wondering if the CCENT/CCNA is worth taking, been reading the press book and some CBT nuggets and it seems fairly striaght forward.

I work in an environment with many switches and am used to doing the normal admin of moving interfaces to vlans, creating vlans physically putting a switch in place etc. Our WAN is controlled by an external party.

I have a strong understanding of networking in general, just wanted to improve my CISCO kit skill and get a bit more of an understanding as our main networking guy left unfortunaetly. So thinking now would be a good time to start and save scratching heads when something goes wrong.

How much experience is advisable for taking these exams, ideally i'd be happy with just a CCNA? We do have some spare kit to work with and if not can use GNS3 for routing.

Thanks guys
Next Targets:
70-294
CCENT

Comments

• Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    Hi Guys

Wondering if the CCENT/CCNA is worth taking, been reading the press book and some CBT nuggets and it seems fairly striaght forward.

I work in an environment with many switches and am used to doing the normal admin of moving interfaces to vlans, creating vlans physically putting a switch in place etc. Our WAN is controlled by an external party.

I have a strong understanding of networking in general, just wanted to improve my CISCO kit skill and get a bit more of an understanding as our main networking guy left unfortunaetly. So thinking now would be a good time to start and save scratching heads when something goes wrong.

How much experience is advisable for taking these exams, ideally i'd be happy with just a CCNA? We do have some spare kit to work with and if not can use GNS3 for routing.

Thanks guys

TBH If your doing MS certs then study and maybe take the CCENT and leave it at that, I have not taken the exam but since studying for it I have a much better understanding and respect for the network guys and what they do... but I am a windows server guy and thats is what pays my bills and that's what I do.
  • Options
    ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    If were me, I'd go to full CCNA. CCENT really does not cover VLANs much, if at all.

Feel free to stop at CCNA though. You can, at a later time, decide to do CCNA: Security or CCNA: Wireless, if desired.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • Options
    Brownie1985Brownie1985 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys, full CCNA is really what I am after. Herd doing the two exams is easier than the full CCNA exam.

I guess the MS-Certs are my main priority as I deal with Windows day in day out, and only do CISCO stuff every now and then. So may drop this down on the back burner for a moment
    Next Targets:
    70-294
    CCENT