Options

It is now official

azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
Just received the email.

Congratulations! It gives me great pleasure to be the first to address you with the Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP®) designation!

Woo Hoo, just in time for the weekend. =)
Currently Studying:
VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)

Comments

• Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Congrats man! I'm sure it feels nice.

How long did you spend studying for it?
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,029 Admin
    Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif

Have your endorser already lined up?
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif

Have your endorser already lined up?

Thank you,

Yes I did. It was a co-worker from a previous position. Now waiting for the certificate to mount on the wall.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
  • Options
    xenodamus wrote: »
    Congrats man! I'm sure it feels nice.

How long did you spend studying for it?

It feels great.

I've been studying for the past year or so. I took the Sec+ in December '09 and the SSCP in April '10. I started my Masters in Info Sec in July so it has been stepping stones up the the CISSP. Now it's back to the books to work on the Masters.
    Currently Studying:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Member Posts: 0 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I got one of those discounts coupons with my SSCP certificate and was planning on ordering the plaque tonight.
    Currently Studying:
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    azjag wrote: »
    I got one of those discounts coupons with my SSCP certificate and was planning on ordering the plaque tonight.
    I was advised by my (very senior) endorser that those cert plaques really impress on the wall in an office. I've just never got around to ordering a set.
  • Options
  • Options
    surinbsurinb Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats Man... Me also waiting for it now (Endorsement done)
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the accomplishment!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! It's a great feeling.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations, I have the Sec+ next week, do you think its worth taking SSCP before the CISSP?
  • Options
    za3bour wrote: »
    do you think its worth taking SSCP before the CISSP?
    I went that route and found it very beneficial. I was looking to learn as much as I could from studying for the SSCP/CISSP and took my time and it was worth it.
  • Options
    Congratulations, I have the Sec+ next week, do you think its worth taking SSCP before the CISSP?

I agree with JD on this. I found taking the SSCP to be very helpful in preparation for the CISSP. The SSCP has seven domains while the CISSP focuses on ten domains. I found it easier to build up from the Sec+ to the SSCP in terms of what to study and time to understand and apply what I had been studying. Then to make the transition to the CISSP only involved adding the different domains and was a refresher for the ones I had already studied. That and changing the mindset from how to handle something as an engineer to how a manager would handle the same issue. (brainectomy)

One thing to remember though, the SSCP is a technical security certification while the CISSP is more on the managerial side. ISC2 has not done the greatest of jobs in marketing the SSCP certification and some people have viewed it, myself included, as a stepping stone for the CISSP. They feel it should be considered on equal footing and not lessor certification by any means.
    Currently Studying:
  • Options

Actually ordered the plaque on Saturday night. Now to see which one will arrive first. According to ISC2, the certificate should arrive in 4-6 weeks whereas the plaque will arrive in 3-4 weeks. Let the race begin.
    Currently Studying:
  • Options
    I agree with JD on this. I found taking the SSCP to be very helpful in preparation for the CISSP. The SSCP has seven domains while the CISSP focuses on ten domains. I found it easier to build up from the Sec+ to the SSCP in terms of what to study and time to understand and apply what I had been studying. Then to make the transition to the CISSP only involved adding the different domains and was a refresher for the ones I had already studied. That and changing the mindset from how to handle something as an engineer to how a manager would handle the same issue. (brainectomy)

One thing to remember though, the SSCP is a technical security certification while the CISSP is more on the managerial side. ISC2 has not done the greatest of jobs in marketing the SSCP certification and some people have viewed it, myself included, as a stepping stone for the CISSP. They feel it should be considered on equal footing and not lessor certification by any means.

Great, thanks a lot for clarifying this, I do agree that they haven't promote it as much as they do for CISSP. I will take a closer look at it.
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I went that route and found it very beneficial. I was looking to learn as much as I could from studying for the SSCP/CISSP and took my time and it was worth it.

Thank You. I might do the same route, my only concern now is financial matter I do have time but I might not have the resources to do both. What about books do they share they same books?
  • Options
    Thank You. I might do the same route, my only concern now is financial matter I do have time but I might not have the resources to do both. What about books do they share they same books?
    They have different study guides, but several of the domains in each cert have overlapping material. The SSCP does not have domains on ethics/law, physical or application security, and the CISSP does not specifically deal with Malware or very technical aspects of security technologies.

With regards to cost, the Annual Maintenance Fee (AMF) that you will be paying for both certs is $150US/year. You need to keep up with that on-going cost if you want to stay an (ISC)2 member in good standing.
  • Options
    pugsleyahpugsleyah Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your efforts and the sweet result.

Question / from getting the email telling you they had your docs to the email @ the top of this post - what was the timeframe? I passed in Jan and submitted my docs on 2/11 (trying to get an idea of the current wait time)

Congrats again!
    -Adam
  • Options
    pugsleyah wrote: »
    Congrats on your efforts and the sweet result.

Question / from getting the email telling you they had your docs to the email @ the top of this post - what was the timeframe? I passed in Jan and submitted my docs on 2/11 (trying to get an idea of the current wait time)

Congrats again!
    -Adam

Thank you,

The time frame for my CISSP:
    Exam Day: 12/4/2010
    Pass/Fail Notification: 1/7/2011
    Endorsement paperwork sent: 1/11/2011
    Awarded CISSP designation: 2/18/2011
    Receipt of Certificate: 2-6 weeks.
    Currently Studying:
  • Options
    Thank you,

Receipt of Certificate: 2-6 weeks.
    Thanks - I just need to be patient / which is hard because I want to move up in my career!
  • Options
    surinbsurinb Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Ordered Plaque 2/19/2011
    Receipt of Certificate: 3/10/2011
    Received Plaque: 3/14/2011.

I had a co-worker endorse me so in case you are wondering what that time frame is.
    Currently Studying:
  • Options
    Ordered Plaque 2/19/2011
    Receipt of Certificate: 3/10/2011
    Received Plaque: 3/14/2011.

I had a co-worker endorse me so in case you are wondering what that time frame is.
    Thanks; sent mine on 2/11 and I am still waiting.

I've heard the plaques are nice for the office. What do they run?
  • Options
  • Options
    pugsleyah wrote: »
    Thanks; sent mine on 2/11 and I am still waiting.

I've heard the plaques are nice for the office. What do they run?

They run about $100 + shipping so around $110 out the door. I had a discount coupon from the SSCP exam I passed and was able to apply it to this purchase. came out to ~$80 with shipping. Looks great, just don't know if I want to hang it up at home or work. tough decisions. ;)
    Currently Studying: