Options

Perfered Frame Relay Router

geek4godgeek4god Member Posts: 187
Is there a preferred frame relay router?

Comments

• Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    As it relates to a lab setup..
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pretty much any router that you already have on hand is capable of performing Frame Relay switch duties. It's just a matter of which one you can stuff enough serial ports into. I prefer using one of the older routers and saving the newer routers with better IOS versions for actual routing, but you can use which ever one fills the role best.

And if you don't have any router with 3 or 4 serial ports, look at this for another option.
  • Options
    lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    Frame Relay? never heard of it icon_lol.gif

Anyway, you can pick up an NM-8A/S pretty cheap on eBay these days.. in AU there are two buy it nows for AUD $89. If you have a router which supports NMs, then your good to go. Thats probably the cheapest/easiest option, depending on what your current lab setup is like.

Oh, the NM-[number]a/s modules are fairly slow, they max out at 128Kbps on each port or something.
  • Options
    Is speed even an issue with a lab? If it is would I be better off going with 2 NM-4T versus the 1 NM-8A/S?
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    For my CCNA lab I used a 3620 with a NM-4A/S.
  • Options
    impzimpz Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    geek4god wrote: »
    Is speed even an issue with a lab? If it is would I be better off going with 2 NM-4T versus the 1 NM-8A/S?

The NM-xAS versions run really slow but for lab purposes that shouldn't be a issue
  • Options
    Odd question related to this.. I have a bunch of T1 cards could I use a NM-8T1 in frame relay router and connect all of my routers to it using T1 cards and cat5?
  • Options
    Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
    Odd question related to this.. I have a bunch of T1 cards could I use a NM-8T1 in frame relay router and connect all of my routers to it using T1 cards and cat5?

I don't see why not... I would probably do a little more research on it before buying it, but this link:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/63017-my-choice.html

has a link to a page that shows the pinout for a t1 crossover cable.

On this note, does anyone have a good reference on how to setup a frame relay router?
  • Options
    Greenmet29 wrote: »
    I don't see why not... I would probably do a little more research on it before buying it, but this link:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/63017-my-choice.html

has a link to a page that shows the pinout for a t1 crossover cable.

On this note, does anyone have a good reference on how to setup a frame relay router?

Would be a lot clearnier to route the cat5 that is for sure. Wonder if it would be limiting or cause issues?

There is a lab here on the site that is about setting up frame relay. You might check it out, not sure if it is what you need..

TechExams.Net CCNA TechLab: Configuring Frame Relay
  • Options
    Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
    Sweet! That's exactly what I needed! Thanks a lot!
  • Options
    billyrbillyr Member Posts: 186
    Here you go. See the attachment. Excuse my artistic abilities.
  • Options

Yes you can connect things up like this, but no, not with cat5. What you need is T1 crossover cables

How to Make a T1 Cross Over Cable.  T1 Cross over Cables.
  • Options
    Thanks! I have not seen any labs setup that way.. Seems like the all use serial. Any others issues like maybe config issues or is it just a preference kind of thing?
  • Options
    I'm not sure why it seems so much less common. I'm sure a lot of it is that a lot of people just don't know you can do it.

There's a couple things you'll have to worry about in the config, but it doesn't seem too bad:

Using the Cisco 2524-2525 Back-to-Back [Cisco 2500 Series Routers] - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use NM-8A/S for my home lab. Here's how it looks like:

CCIE%2BHome%2BLab%2B1.png
    :study: Life+
  • Options
    zerglings the routers conected directly to eachother without going to the frame are connected how? Separate serial card or what?
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Multiple WIC's. You can tell by the interface numbering. It looks like he has the INE topology which is what I'd expect from someone pursuing CCIE.

How To Build A CCIE Rack | INE
  • Options
    zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    zerglings the routers conected directly to eachother without going to the frame are connected how? Separate serial card or what?
    QHalo wrote: »
    Multiple WIC's. You can tell by the interface numbering. It looks like he has the INE topology which is what I'd expect from someone pursuing CCIE.

Pretty much what he said. Though, the only one that has multiple WIC is the R3.

home%2Blab.png
    :study: Life+
  • Options
    CyberNBDCyberNBD Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've seen it in several places, but is there a specific reason for also using direct router to router serial connections when you already have a frame relay cloud where you can make all connections?
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    I used a 3640 16F 64D with a NM-8a/s

Ive also used a 2520 in a lab environment.

You really don't need much to run a frame relay switch... just as many serial ports as you can get for the least amount of cash :)
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • Options
    Yea, picked up a cheap 2610 and a NM-8A/S 8-Port..
  • Options
    jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    I use a 2600 with 4 WIC 1Ts (using a NW-2W), I've never really needed more than 4 devices connecting to the FR cloud.
  • Options
    lwwarnerlwwarner Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use a 26xx with a pair of WIC-2T cards installed plus an NM-16A. This way I get a 4 port FRS and my TS in a single rack slot, leaving more real estate for other toys!
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    Bill -

After that post, I also built out a 2620XM in the same fashion....great setup. :)
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU