Options

WGU handling of transfer credit in terms of GPA grade....

westwardwestward Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was wondering, when you get a "GPA transcript" from WGU (which I heard they do, but not on their normal transcript), does transfer credit just show as a 3.0 or if it was a 4.0 originally, will that show?

The reason is, I was stupid enough to get two "Not Passed" (didn't finish class in time, to ambitious) and now I'm thinking I'm screwed out of ever getting into a Masters program. However, if my 4.0 classes show, perhaps it will keep the total above 3.0

Any ideas? If not, I guess I'll have to get a whole second Bachelors just to get into an MBA program....

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It would be the same if you failed a course at a traditional school. You will have a record of when you "failed" (not passed) and then passed. There are undergraduates in Masters programs that have had a failure in a class for a variety of reasons....I think if you're upfront with your circumstances it should not be a deal-breaker.

Here is the only stuff I found that talks about this from the WGU Student Handbook:

Transcripts include four possible marks:

Pass: Certifies successful completion of a course of study. The student has demonstrated the required competencies by passing the final assessment with a grade equivalent of B or better or 3.00 grade points on a 4.00 scale.
    Not Passed: Indicates that a student failed to complete a course of study in the time allotted. To meet program requirements, the student generally re-enrolls for the course of study in a subsequent term.
    Transfer: Signifies that the student has completed equivalent work at another regionally or nationally accredited institution.
    Withdrawn: Represents that the student was withdrawn from the university or course before term completion.

The University does not calculate a grade point average (GPA).

One competency unit is the equivalent of one semester hour credit of learning in traditional grading systems.

Grades are transcripted upon completion of a course of study, but courses of study in progress will not show on the transcript until the end of a term.

Note: Students receive a mark of Pass or Not Passed on their permanent academic record for any courses of study for which they enroll in a term, regardless of whether they attempt an assessment. Marks of Not Passed are counted as units that are failed and, as such, are counted against satisfactory academic progress. See Satisfactory Academic Progress.

Satisfactory Academic Progress
    Satisfactory academic progress (SAP) is a measure of student progress toward the completion of a degree or certificate program. SAP is a quantitative measure based on the number of competency units a student completed divided by the total number of units for which a student enrolled cumulatively over the student's academic career at WGU. It is an academic success indicator and a financial aid requirement. Federal regulations require that all students who receive financial aid maintain satisfactory academic progress.

Students receive a mark of Pass or Not Passed on their permanent academic record for any courses of study for which they enroll in a term, regardless of whether they attempt an assessment. A grade of Pass indicates that the student has demonstrated competency at a grade equivalent of “B” or better. Grades of Not Passed are counted as units that are failed and are counted against satisfactory academic progress.