Options

Just a few questions related to wide area network services

thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
You know, Ethernet networks(LAN) handle MAC addressing during packet transmission. (Destination MAC address is learned through ARP request if its not placed on its ARP cache before if transmitting device is a PC or router.
However, on leased lines which packet encapsulation is made via HDLC or PPP protocols, how is the addressing made? I mean, HDLC or PPP frame has an "address" field but does it have a special name as it was on MAC and while packet is on the network layer of transmitting router, what should be learned from the other end instead of MAC?

Second and the last,

On point to point dedicated lines, is the router on one end "directly connected" to the one on the other? or between these routers, is it possible to mention that WAN switches are interconnecting them even though
this type is called point-to-point ?
Edit : i asked this because it is shown as "link going through WAN switches following a dedicated path" in my study guides but it is written "point-to point" without any intermediate device which sticks its nose into.
Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

Comments

• Options
    Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
    Point to point leased lines are exactly that... leased, or dedicated, lines. They do go through some type of service provider, but what happens behind the csu/dsu, stays behind the csu/dsu. At least at the CCNA level it does.

In other words, they [probably] are switched, but it is a dedicated line, that no one else has access to, that is from router A to router B. Therefore there is no need for a mac address type field. It would be like if your having lunch with your friend John, and everytime you say something to him you say his name first. You could do it, but there is no need for it because it is a conversation between you and John.

In frame relay there is, because they are many to many connections. For FR, they mac address type field is called the "dlci", or data link control identifier.
  • Options
    thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Greenmet29 wrote: »
    Point to point leased lines are exactly that... leased, or dedicated, lines. They do go through some type of service provider, but what happens behind the csu/dsu, stays behind the csu/dsu. At least at the CCNA level it does.

In other words, they [probably] are switched, but it is a dedicated line, that no one else has access to, that is from router A to router B. Therefore there is no need for a mac address type field. It would be like if your having lunch with your friend John, and everytime you say something to him you say his name first. You could do it, but there is no need for it because it is a conversation between you and John.

In frame relay there is, because they are many to many connections. For FR, they mac address type field is called the "dlci", or data link control identifier.

You are totally right. Im so grateful to you since you realised my question correctly.

Yeah, frame-relay is a shared type of WAN connection whereas leased lines are not, they are private.

And again you told the truth above for the addressing thing. Everything got cleared in my mind. Thank you so much.
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

• Options
    Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
    Happy to help! So many people on here have helped me out. I'm sitting next to my dad and when I answered your question I told him, "I'm so glad that I can get on here and answer peoples questions and actually know what i'm talking about. Especially when no one else has gotten to them first!"