Options

Do you recommend pursuing other certifications before CCNA for a newbie?

blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
Hey everyone! I want to first say thanks to the people who run the site. Of all the different sites I've been to the last few days looking at information, this one has been infinitely helpful with everything from personal insight to resources. Onto the annoying newbie question!!

I'm a recent college graduate with a Bachelor's in IT. After graduating I landed a job for about a year, but the company went through some serious downsizing. As a result I was laid off. The good part of it all is I realized that I would much rather pursue a career in networking than PC system support, and after doing some research I decided I want to pursue a CCNA.

Given my lack of experience I was wondering if there are any certifications that you would recommend I pursue before trying for a CCNA? I'm strongly considering the Net+ and Security+, but I'd love to hear what other people who are pursuing or already are CCNA certified think. Thanks a lot! Cheers icon_cheers.gif

Ben

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's not going to hurt you to attack the CCNA. I will highly suggest you get the CCNA by doing the two part option.

ICND1 (CCENT) --> ICND2 (CCNA)

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le0/le9/learning_certification_type_home.html

RANT WARNING

In my personal opinion CompTIA certifications only help someone who is first starting out, and even then I think pursuing either Microsoft or Cisco certs is much more valuable financially and career wise.
  • Options
    Dave88LXDave88LX Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you are going to go for the CCNA, then personally, I would skip the Net+. From what I have seen in my environment (DoD contractor), the Net+ basically means to these guys that you know enough about a computer to break it. They are not taken seriously. Once you get the CCNA, from what I have seen, basically trumps the Net+ anyways.

I'd focus on CCENT/CCNA and go that route personally.
  • Options
    cisco_certscisco_certs Member Posts: 119
    Go for CCNA. what's stopping you from pursuing CCNA?
    Are you intimidated?

I think its a waste of money if you will go through Network + then CCNA.
    CCNA does not have pre-req so take advantage of it.

My first cert was CCNA so don't let CCNA scare you and now I'm aiming for 3 types of CCNP.icon_thumright.gif

Goodluck
  • Options
    A lot of it is intimidating I suppose, in particular teaching myself the majority of things. I'm also in a position where I can afford to live quietly while pursuing the CCNA cert, but the last thing I wanted to have happen was the realization I was in over my head, lol.

It's great to know it isn't crazy to head straight for it though, and even better that there's people on here who's first cert was CCNA.
  • Options
    impzimpz Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You have a Bsc. in IT so I'll say to skip all those Comptia stuff. I did my Net+ and I am kinda regretting wasting over $200 to take the exam now that Im pursuing the CCNA. The CCENT portion of the exam covers around 75%+ of Network+ stuff.

If you really want to do the Net+ badly then I suggest you start studying for CCENT (ICND1) then just buy a Network+ book and take a quick look at the stuff that wasn't taught in CCENT. Don't write the exams for the Net+ though.
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    As mentioned before I'd start with the ICND1.. CompTIA tests are just too expensive for the personal expense (unless you are being reimbursed for then).. Since they won't be worth as much as a the CCNA in anyway.

If networking is what you want to do then you can't go wrong.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would say CCENT covers most if not ALL of net+. Although I haven't finished, CCNA will be my first cert and if you consistently study and LAB what you learn you will be in great shape.

I take CCENT next thursday and feel really confident.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    Best of luck with your exam!

What does LAB stand for?
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry, by lab, I meant get some hardware and set up a lab to apply what you learn. You could also use Simulators but if you can, go on ebay and buy some cheap switches and routers.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    Oh - absolutely. I was going to look into that as well. Do you recommend any routers/switches in particular?
  • Options
    impzimpz Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    blatini wrote: »
    Oh - absolutely. I was going to look into that as well. Do you recommend any routers/switches in particular?

you want 4 routers and 3 switches.

The cheapest options will probably be

3 1721 ($20-30) with a serial interface module attached to it e.g WIC-1T
    1 router to act as frame relay switch (which basically means you need a router with lots of serial ports 3+)

For switches

Get 3 2950 ($25-60)

check out the faq and previous threads for more info and check out the certskills website by wendell odom for more of the "possible" lab setups.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would also suggest going for the CCNA and just skip the Network+ as others have mentioned it would be extra money wasted doing both that can be applied to your next cert. I'm considering getting my CCNA after I finish my MCSA/MCSE. icon_cool.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Your degree is nice, but if you have zero knowledge of networking I would still suggest Network+ as an introduction to the material. CCENT tests Network+ knowledge with some basic cisco technologies on top of that, so it is more difficult (in my experience) than the Network+. If money is an option, I'd still suggest looking over the Network+ material before jumping into CCENT. The learning curve required is sharp otherwise.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    chmorin wrote: »
    Your degree is nice, but if you have zero knowledge of networking I would still suggest Network+ as an introduction to the material. CCENT tests Network+ knowledge with some basic cisco technologies on top of that, so it is more difficult (in my experience) than the Network+. If money is an option, I'd still suggest looking over the Network+ material before jumping into CCENT. The learning curve required is sharp otherwise.

+1

I took the same route because I was too scared to start with Cisco back in the day.
    :study: Life+
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    chmorin wrote: »

I'll toss a +1 on that as well. Network+ will lay out a pretty nice foundation for you that you'll build upon in the CCENT and CCNA tests. Even though the Network+ is fairly general broad knowledge I see a lot of it repeated in CCENT. I'm finding it very useful overall having taken the Network+ as it's allowing me to dive into CCENT that much quicker than if I had to learn everything from the ground up.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you have a good general understanding of how networks work in a windows environment, then i would just jump into the CCENT/CCNA.

I was a Desktop support tech before i got into the CCNA so i had a good basic understanding of TCP/IP, adding computers to networks etc, how DHCP and DNS servers work.

Get a copy of Todd Lammles CCENT study guide and go through it. The first few chapters go through the basics of how networks work. It does seem a little daunting at first but after you get into it and start learning stuff, it becomes a lot more enjoyable. I wasn't a fan of subnetting to begin with, but after i learnt it and understood it, i really enjoyed it.

Also i would highly recommend the CBT Nuggets videos by Jeremy C. Definitely get them if you can. They are awesome. A must have really. The guy really makes learning fun. It is almost like being in a class.

Also, you dont really need the real gear at the CCNA level. Sure it helps to have say one router and switch to get the physical hands on, but i did most of my hands on learning for the CCNA by using Cisco's packet tracer. So much easier setting up decent sized networks then having real routers and switches all over the place and cables everywhere. Because essentially, the CCNA covers only the basics of the cisco command line anyway so a simulator like Packet Tracer is more then fine at the CCNA level. Obviously, when you get into the CCNP stuff then you really do need some real switches.