Options

MCSA vs. MCITP

I don't know if these two certifications are comparable, but I'm interested if one would go better with a CCNA than the other when job-hunting? I already have a Security+, so the MCSA would only be three tests, and the MCITP is also three tests. However, the MCITP (SA) requires an Active Directory certification, which I see a lot of requests for on the job boards. Other than that, I'm not sure which to learn toward. I want to go with what's the most in demand and which can better pay the bills, if you know what I mean.

I know the MCITP is in less demand right now because fewer people know about it and that should change in the next few years, but I need a job *now* - not down the road.

Comments

• Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I still see demand for the MCSA/MCSE which I'm currently pursuing. I would recommend going for the MCSA and then upgrading later for the MCITP.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There's always going to be some debate on this issue, MCSA/E or MCITP. I believe if your just starting out cert-wise, go for the MCITP. Thing is if you are just starting out, each of the MCSA/E exams is going to take 2-6 months (depending on a few variables), so by the time you finish the MCSE you'd have taken about a year. That's assuming you pass all the exams in the first hit. Then you take the upgrade exams for the MCITP, which might take another 6-8 months. That's 2 years.

If you looking for entry level jobs, go for the MCSA+CCNA combo, cant go wrong. You'll make it past the HR filter and your rounded skillset will make you more attractive come interview-time.

If you are not entry level and think you can knock out the MCSA/E exams soon, do it and then upgrade to the MCITP. The MCSE is still more marketable and will continue to be so for the next several months, at the very least.

Personally, I stopped at the MCSA and started on the MCITP track. This was because the MCSA got me to the position I wanted. I did not see a reason to go on to the MCSE as the company I am with is very soon going to migrate to 2008, hence it made more sense to get the MCITP. Just me 2 cents.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi

Would also advice the same here Go for the MCSA and then upgrade to the MCITP

Also the MCSA is 4 Exams in total and getting the Sec+ will give you the MCSA : Security Credentials ( Instead of the normal 2 exams required ).

Hope i am right and good luck .......
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Dr IT wrote: »
    Also the MCSA is 4 Exams in total and getting the Sec+ will give you the MCSA : Security Credentials ( Instead of the normal 2 exams required ).

Hope i am right and good luck .......

Nope, the S+ will not give you the MCSA:S credential. You have to pass one of the security electives in addition to the S+. I have read of people getting the MCSA:S cred if they also used the A+ and N+ as their electives for the MCSA.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Essendon wrote: »
    Nope, the S+ will not give you the MCSA:S credential. You have to pass one of the security electives in addition to the S+. I have read of people getting the MCSA:S cred if they also used the A+ and N+ as their electives for the MCSA.

I did the 299 and used the Sec+ for my elective. You can use the 70-350/351, or the SSCP, CISSP, CISM, or CISA as electives.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you can get the exams done in a short time (due to knowledge of systems and/or experience) then go for the MCSA first. I'd then get the MCITP:SA first as you'll be approaching time for (probably) the release of Server 2012 exams. That is if they in fact do have a new server version out in 2012.
    Just my 2 cents.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
    Essendon wrote: »
    If you looking for entry level jobs, go for the MCSA+CCNA combo, cant go wrong. You'll make it past the HR filter and your rounded skillset will make you more attractive come interview-time.

If you are not entry level and think you can knock out the MCSA/E exams soon, do it and then upgrade to the MCITP. The MCSE is still more marketable and will continue to be so for the next several months, at the very least.

Personally, I stopped at the MCSA and started on the MCITP track. This was because the MCSA got me to the position I wanted. I did not see a reason to go on to the MCSE as the company I am with is very soon going to migrate to 2008, hence it made more sense to get the MCITP. Just me 2 cents.

So what kind of position/title would I be looking for if I had a CCNA/MCSA? It seems like employers want one or the other, but I guess it depends on the specific job.

I seem to be hearing that a good course would be to get the MCSA first, then go after the MCITP (assuming I have a job at that point and it's a good career move by then).

Also, I see a lot of job descriptions asking for knowledge of Active Directory, and I also see employers wanting SQL knowledge. I wonder if getting a single cert in either one of these before going after the MCITP might be more advantageous? It would certainly be a shorter time frame to obtain, and with me unemployed that's a primary concern.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A lot depends on your experience level. Experience trumps certs. I'm not employed in IT right now and have had 0 luck getting an IT job with all my certs and very little actual experience. My experience so far is doing PC repairs and I've done a couple refresh projects. For most of the IT jobs I've interviewed for I've been up against people with years of helpdesk/ desktop experience.
    If you get the MCSA then it depends on your experience level as to which would be better (a CCNA or a SQL cert) and also what type of job you're looking to get.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
    earweed wrote: »
    A lot depends on your experience level. Experience trumps certs. I'm not employed in IT right now and have had 0 luck getting an IT job with all my certs and very little actual experience. My experience so far is doing PC repairs and I've done a couple refresh projects. For most of the IT jobs I've interviewed for I've been up against people with years of helpdesk/ desktop experience.
    If you get the MCSA then it depends on your experience level as to which would be better (a CCNA or a SQL cert) and also what type of job you're looking to get.

Well, all my job experience has been in networking. I have zero server experience. Since I can't just go out and get server experience without a job first, getting a certification(s) is the next best thing.

Does anyone know what's the best book or books to study for in getting the MCSA? Is there a series or publisher that's better than another? I went to my local bookstore today to see what they had, and they had nothing. I guess I'll have to order online.