Options

First CCNA exam - 783

Chrisjag92Chrisjag92 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Feeling pretty sour about the results of my CCNA. I'm sure whoever has been there can relate. All the studying only to lose $250 for a test. The exam was much rougher than I expected.

Anyway, the problem is I'm not sure where to start now. Do I sign up and take it again next week while the knowledge is fresh in my head still?

I believe I did worst on working my way around the switch CLI because I don't have any gear to practice on. At least with routers I can use GNS3. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I use router and switch equipment all the time at work, and I just strated messing around with packet tracer today. It's a really finished simulation product. Hope this helps
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    coty24 wrote: »
    I use router and switch equipment all the time at work, and I just strated messing around with packet tracer today. It's a really finished simulation product. Hope this helps

And how does one go about getting a copy of packet tracer?

Is there no way you can get your hands on a Cisco switch? I borrowed some equipment from work that was sitting on the shelf. Any friends/colleagues who can help out?
  • Options
    lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    Bad luck mate.. doesn't sound like you were too far off based on your score.

What were some of your weaker areas (e.g. < 60%) on the score breakdown sheet they print off for you at the testing centre?

A pair of 2950 series switches should set you back less than $150 bucks on eBay these days (looking at the eBay AU site) so I think that's a better investment than trying to brute force the exam again. With two switches you can at least practice all of the switching topics from the CCNA blueprint. They will also be a good investment if you decide to go further on with your Cisco studies.
  • Options
    AvidNetworkerAvidNetworker Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't really say the $250 was wasted, since now you know what to expect on the exams. Personally I have worked with enterprise equipment, and extensively with packet tracer, and I was totally unprepared for how "different" the lab simulations were. I had a really hard time with it, mostly because everything felt so "smashed together", and the CLI did a lot of things I wasn't expecting, and had excluded commands I was accustomed to using to complete the requested task. Luckily I still passed, but the lab simulator in the exam nearly sunk me.

Don't really know what advice to give, but don't get down on yourself, especially since you had such limited experience in the CLI, I had extensive experience in it, knew 100% how to complete the labs no sweat, but the interface nearly failed me.
  • Options
    Chrisjag92Chrisjag92 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I appreciate the motivational support. I suppose all I can do now is study harder, as I signed up to take the test again in 2 weeks.

^^ The Cisco Packet Tracer seems like it will work nicely.

Is there anywhere someone could suggest I look for practice labs and scenarios?
  • Options
    network.ipadminnetwork.ipadmin Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am going to see if I have done enough studying to pass. I am going to also do the 1 exam. I can understand your disappointment. I went onto ebay and got 3 2950s to use.
  • Options
    mezekermezeker Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Chrisjag92,

I too failed my CCNA exam this week and was so piss.

If you like let's team up an study together to pass this exam.

PM me so I could provide you my contact information.

I can't take the exam till the 24th but I am going to try again in two weeks again as that will be my third time taking it so I hope I pass.

Cheers mate.
    MCP, MCDST, MCTS: Vista, MCAS: Outlook 2007, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+, CompTIA Strata IT Fundamentals, ITIL v3, ISFS Information Security Foundation based on ISO/IEC 27002 Certified

"You must not only test whether an application
    does what it is supposed to do, but also whether it does not do what it should not do."
  • Options
    seekritseekrit Member Posts: 103
    Chrisjag92 wrote: »
    I appreciate the motivational support. I suppose all I can do now is study harder, as I signed up to take the test again in 2 weeks.

^^ The Cisco Packet Tracer seems like it will work nicely.

Is there anywhere someone could suggest I look for practice labs and scenarios?

ICND1 Practice Labs
  • Options
    mezekermezeker Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the link.
    MCP, MCDST, MCTS: Vista, MCAS: Outlook 2007, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+, CompTIA Strata IT Fundamentals, ITIL v3, ISFS Information Security Foundation based on ISO/IEC 27002 Certified

"You must not only test whether an application
    does what it is supposed to do, but also whether it does not do what it should not do."
  • Options
    thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Chrisjag92 wrote: »
    Feeling pretty sour about the results of my CCNA. I'm sure whoever has been there can relate. All the studying only to lose $250 for a test. The exam was much rougher than I expected.

Anyway, the problem is I'm not sure where to start now. Do I sign up and take it again next week while the knowledge is fresh in my head still?

I believe I did worst on working my way around the switch CLI because I don't have any gear to practice on. At least with routers I can use GNS3. Does anyone have any suggestions?

i suggest you never get upset mate. Work harder on topics which you had much difficulties during exam.
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)