Options

My Lab, Thoughs, opinions, suggestions?

grayfox587grayfox587 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
I can finally start studying for my CCENT, and here is the lab that I have. I am concerned because I read on here that you need 2950 switches and I only have 2900's. Right now I have a rollover cable, and a spool of cat 5, so I believe I only need a serial cable to get going?

Lab
-4 2600 routers
-2 2900 switches
-2 2900 xl switches
Doc1.pdf 112.5K

Comments

• Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The 2900's will work for basic stuff for the CCENT. I doubt they will be much use once to hit the CCNA, though. I have several of them, myself. I also went with a few 2950's and a 3550. I don't use the 2900's for anything anymore, other than to look good. Depending on your routers and what interfaces they have, you may be able to get by with just ethernet. If not, you could use at least one serial cable for a serial connection.

When I took my CCENT (failed the first time), it had a few things that a decent lab would have helped. I knew the basics, but I didn't know what they were testing on. I did a lot of reading and a little hands on. I suggest more hands on.

It looks like you have a good lab. That's what I started with, and keep finding good deals and getting newer stuff. Just can't stand to part with the older stuff! :)

Good luck!
  • Options
    Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
    As far as I've seen so far in my Ccna studies, the 2900 switches should be fine. They don't support a few things at the ccnp level, but do support everything at Ccna.

I have basically this same setup. I have:
    2-2610
    1-2610xm
    2-3620 series routers
    3-2950 series switches

I would suggest having at least one fast Ethernet port on a router, and if any of the 2610s are xm series, they are.
  • Options
    Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
    Oh I forgot I have a 2501 also icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    JollycorkJollycork Member Posts: 149
    I'm no expert but in my studies, just working with Cisco equipment as well as researching what one would need, as many here recommend for those seeking lab advise, is the best way to learn.

I think just having any equipment, even if its a tad older, but will provide you with practice on learning foundation topics like subnetting, routing and routing protocols, switching, vlans, STP is a good investment.
  • Options
    grayfox587grayfox587 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone, its good to know the 2900's will be fine for ccna. I have a 2500 router laying around, would that provide me any benefit or is it useless?
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    grayfox587 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, its good to know the 2900's will be fine for ccna. I have a 2500 router laying around, would that provide me any benefit or is it useless?

Useful for routing protocols and frame relay practice.