Options

Remote-access VPN

thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
As i told you before, i had a pretty short work experience in a company. There, we were using VPN clients to reach VPN servers i mean Cisco 7609 backbone routers. What we performed via VPN client was launching Cisco VPN client(ugent) software on our computer. Then inside SecureCRT terminal emulation application, after adding POPs which include these 7609 routers, connecting one of them via SSH. After all of these, communicating with wireless Internet subscribers/customers by telnetting their interface of Cisco 877 modem/routers. Also, same thing is valid at home or cafe having Internet connection.
However, there is something i really didn't understand here: OK, i use VPN client and connect to the Cisco 7609 router. And if this is described as remote-access VPN , why couldn't i read my corporate emails or have the ability to reach business computer via this VPN client software?
Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    When you build a VPN you specify the inside addresses the client will have access to. So, it sounds like someone didn't build access to the corporate network.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    When you build a VPN you specify the inside addresses the client will have access to. So, it sounds like someone didn't build access to the corporate network.

Did you mean the IP address on the VPN-client software? They belonged to each 7609 router, not corporate network yes.

is Cisco VPN client not used to read emails or to reach the corporate computer from outside? (Assume VPN server is completely configured)
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

• Options
    thedrama wrote: »
    is Cisco VPN client not used to read emails or to reach the corporate computer from outside? (Assume VPN server is completely configured)

Yes it can be used for that.
  • Options
    Yes it can be used for that.

In real life,for that, specified destination IP "should be" the VPN server of
    corporate network? Let's say VPN client is configured with the specified
    IP of VPN server, username and password entered. Then,

How am i able to see the page of my corporate mail?

• Options
    The destination IP will be the IP of the mail server. I suggest you do some reading on the subject to tie it all together.

Cisco Secure VPN Client Solutions Guide [Cisco Secure VPN Client] - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    The destination IP will be the IP of the mail server. I suggest you do some reading on the subject to tie it all together.

Cisco Secure VPN Client Solutions Guide [Cisco Secure VPN Client] - Cisco Systems

Thank you so much.

• Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Make sure the router you're VPNing to can get your IP to the mail server. If your VPN client has a valid IP, try adding a static route on the vpn router to the mail server's IP. Once you're vpn'd, try to ping it.
  • Options
    brad- wrote: »
    Make sure the router you're VPNing to can get your IP to the mail server. If your VPN client has a valid IP, try adding a static route on the vpn router to the mail server's IP. Once you're vpn'd, try to ping it.

I think adding static routes to the backbone router without much knowledge of the network is pretty bad advice.