Anyone self taught a foreign language?

2»

Comments

• thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    Zentraedi wrote: »
    Accepted.

*Shakes head* No one really learns or becomes fluent from those. A tourist might check those out on the plane ride over, but that's it.

Seriously, what's your actual goal?
    I would like to travel to Japan and if I get lucky may be live there.

To tell you the truth, I don't even know where to start. I guess I would like to learn how to speak Japanese so that I can communicate with them, and learn how to read and so that I won't get lost.

How did you start learning the language?
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have been doing a horrible job of teaching myself German for the past couple of years. My only saving grace is that English is a Germanic language; you can definitely tell such when thinking in terms of soundex.

I took six years of French in school and I never had much of a practical need except for once in England... a female coworker spoke Spanish as her first language, French as her second language, and English as her third. It was much easier for us both to compromise on our second languages... and it was a good thing that I essentially just had to walk her through setting her IP address (I have no idea why they weren't using DHCP).
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When my girlfriend is out of school and has had a break, then we will learn Spanish. Hopefully, we can spend time learning it then speak it to each other in the home so be familiar with it.

I've always wanted to learn a foreign language, Spanish is probably going to be one of the only ones we might use. Plus, the little Spanish I know, is really easily related to English.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • pakgeekpakgeek Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Chivalry1 wrote: »
    For me I am learning French. I use a variety of resources which include Rosetta Stone, Youtube, and a number of websites where I chat with other users. I will study French for another 3 years to become more fluent, then I will move on to Spanish.

Do you mind sharing the websites? I'm learning French and would be helpful to chat with other French users :)
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    pakgeek wrote: »
    Do you mind sharing the websites? I'm learning French and would be helpful to chat with other French users :)

+1 sharing would be helpful. I took entry level French course two yrs ago..but I forgot everything. I'd like to refresh my knowledge...
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• ZentraediZentraedi Member Posts: 150
    thehourman wrote: »
    I would like to travel to Japan and if I get lucky may be live there.

To tell you the truth, I don't even know where to start. I guess I would like to learn how to speak Japanese so that I can communicate with them, and learn how to read and so that I won't get lost.

How did you start learning the language?

I started by going to an intensive language school here in Japan.

First things first though. Get a solid professional base(CCNP level work would be good) and then come here to visit. If you're still sort of interested, enroll in a Japanese language school for 6 months to a year until you get at least Level 2 Japanese ability. Don't hang around with people that will speak English and force yourself to use the language as much as possible. At that point, you'd definitely be able to find a solid, well-paying job here.
    Current Study Track
    EMCCA, EMCCAe, EMCCE, VCIX-NV, Puppet Practitioner, ServiceNow
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    Zentraedi wrote: »
    I started by going to an intensive language school here in Japan.

First things first though. Get a solid professional base(CCNP level work would be good) and then come here to visit. If you're still sort of interested, enroll in a Japanese language school for 6 months to a year until you get at least Level 2 Japanese ability. Don't hang around with people that will speak English and force yourself to use the language as much as possible. At that point, you'd definitely be able to find a solid, well-paying job here.
    I am currently working on my CCNA:S, and once I pass this, I am going to start my CCNP: R&S.
    I finally got an IT job (helpdesk tier1), and it is not related to networking though; but it is a start.
    About hanging around with certain people would be hard for me. I am surrounded by English speaking people, but it kind of helps me too because English is my second language.

Let's say I had CCNP under my belt and had a year of experience, would I get a networking job in Japan?

Dude, you're motivating me to study harder. I like it.

Thanks
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • ZentraediZentraedi Member Posts: 150
    thehourman wrote: »
    I am currently working on my CCNA:S, and once I pass this, I am going to start my CCNP: R&S.
    I finally got an IT job (helpdesk tier1), and it is not related to networking though; but it is a start.
    About hanging around with certain people would be hard for me. I am surrounded by English speaking people, but it kind of helps me too because English is my second language.

Let's say I had CCNP under my belt and had a year of experience, would I get a networking job in Japan?

Dude, you're motivating me to study harder. I like it.

Thanks

Well, I can't guarantee that you would be put in charge of networks, but you could definitely find a solid IT job. Just build up your experience now apply to enter a Japanese language school next year. They usually start in April, but the visa stuff needs to be done by January I think. Once here, study your ass off, perhaps get a girlfriend here. If you really focus and try, JLPT level 2 is possible within 6 months to a year. That's not completely fluent, but its a good level that shows you can live here and don't need to be babysat.

Here are two places that I would recommend you look in to:

The Naganuma School Tokyo School of Japanese Language
    Japanese Language School - Study Abroad in Japan - Japanese Language Studies at The Yamasa Institute

I went to the second one, but the first one actually produced a graduate who went on to become a citizen and member of parliament here.
    Current Study Track
    EMCCA, EMCCAe, EMCCE, VCIX-NV, Puppet Practitioner, ServiceNow
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    chrisone wrote: »
    Same here, i am in the starting process of gathering materials to tech myself a little Japanese. I am not that concern with mastering the language, but just enough to have a basic conversation and to understand when others speak it.

Yep, I am also looking to learn Japanese as well. I have been studying and working on it on and off between my career, certs, gaming, and life in general. It's not on the highest priority at the moment but I would like to know basics to have conversation and understand others before my planned trip to Japan within the near future. icon_cool.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63