ASA vs Router

forbiddenforestforbiddenforest Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi all
I want to know what is main differnce between ASA and Router
Can we use ASA as Router if yes in which scenario in I have private WAN can i use ASA as router or Router will be batter?. beside this I have to connect my Private WAN to remote location using satellite. and i Want this satellite connection to remote location though VPN can i I Achieve this using ASA

i will highly appreciate for favorable response

Regards

Comments

• Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    An ASA is not as modular, but can certainly be used for routing in small environments. The ASA also doesn't offer as many routing protocol options. I believe you can use rip, ospf, or just static routing. If the site where the ASA will be implemented is large I would probably recommend using it as a dedicated security appliance vice providing routing capabilities and security functions.

It also limits you on some other things such as not supporting mgre/dmvpn, and limited QoS features depending on which model you choose.

If you only need the things mentioned in your post, an ASA is fully capable of providing site to site vpn services and nat functionality.

So all in all I would say it depends on the environment and what you are looking to get out of it.
  • millworxmillworx Member Posts: 290
    If your in a SOHO environment the ASA5505 would probably provide everything you need.

But Ryan82 is correct. The ASA supports a limited amount if IGPs. It only supports EIGRP, OSPF and RIP.

And as far as QOS it does support Policing, Traffic Shaping, and Priority Queing.

One huge benefit however, if it's being deployed in a larger enterprise network is the fact that all the ACLs are compiled as opposed to read line by line like the routers (not including 72xx :P)
    Currently Reading:
    CCIE: Network Security Principals and Practices
    CCIE: Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide
  • forbiddenforestforbiddenforest Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for response
    I have 15 locations and more than 100 vehicles moving around the different cities I want to connect these 15 locations with each other using dedicate fiber optic and 100 vehicles can communication any location using satellite link I want to establish VPN connection between vehicles and locations multiple vehicles can do videoconferencing with location.
    Following are the main services over my network

Voice and Videoconferencing
    Data sharing

I need help in my topology
    Which device I must use ASA or Router or Router with ASA
    I have to establish VPN connection between difference vehicles and locations how can I establish VPN connection among them.

I will highly appreciate the kindly help

Regards
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    beside this I have to connect my Private WAN to remote location using satellite. and i Want this satellite connection to remote location though VPN can i I Achieve this using ASA
    What kind of connection does/will your satellite provider supply? If it's an Ethernet Jack, then the ASA supports VPNs and will work. If it's some other interface, then you may need a router that supports the interface (or provides and Ethernet jack for the ASA if the router doesn't support VPNs).
    I have 15 locations and more than 100 vehicles moving around the different cities I want to connect these 15 locations with each other using dedicate fiber optic and 100 vehicles can communication any location using satellite link I want to establish VPN connection between vehicles and locations multiple vehicles can do videoconferencing with location.

Your Satellite IP Communications provider should be able to help you with a solution -- or you need to find one who can:
    Google satellite IP communications

As long as you have the an IP connection/address and the service level/bandwidth (and power for your equipment) there are several possible solutions -- within the limits of the technology. No matter how much money you throw at the solution (launch your own low earth orbit satellite?) you'll still have the delay (and lag) from your satellite communications that may affect your video conferencing.

ASAs don't support DMVPN which could be a consideration.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    Thanks all
    if i connect my locations and vehicles using VPN do I need routers to all my places (vehicles and locations) or in Vehicles i need just Software for
    VPN connectivity?
    for example: i have one location where my router is installed and I want to VPN connectivity from my location and 10 vehicles do i need purticular VPN appliction installed in my laptops in my vehicles or I need to install Routers in my vehicles
    do I need routers to all my places (vehicles and locations) or in Vehicles i need just Software for VPN connectivity?

If you're not running servers (or other resources) or multiple PCs/Laptops in your vehicles that people in the locations (or other vehicles) need to access remotely, then you may just need to use Client VPN software on your laptop or PC (or an SSL VPN). Once you connect via VPN to one Location, then your standard network and routing (over fiber between the locations) could give you access to all resources (that your network security allows) in all locations.

Without routers in your vehicles, all vehicle to vehicle communication would probably be through the individual VPN tunnels each vehicle (and PC/Laptop) would create to a location (and the network connecting the locations).

If you need direct vehicle to vehicle tunnels, you're back to needing routers or ASAs.
    Thanks mikej412 and other
    I m so much thankful to you to clear my concepts.

You mean if i want to connect vachiles to location using VPN I need to install vpn client softwares on my (Laptop/PC in my vehicle)
    for example" there is router in location 1 and my 3 vehicles have only computer then to create vpn i need to configure my router and just install vpn client software on 3 computers in vehichles

regards
    for example" there is router in location 1 and my 3 vehicles have only computer then to create vpn i need to configure my router and just install vpn client software on 3 computers in vehichles
    Right. If the vehicle has only one computer (and one IP address from the Satellite IP Provider) then you'd be able to do a remote access VPN -- which can be done with a VPN Client on the computer or an SSL VPN.
    Thanks for clearing my such concepts is that necessay to use satellite providers ip address. cant we use private adderess in vehicles

regards