70-294 Today

BudzyBudzy Member Posts: 117
Well, today was the day when I took this exam and I managed a score of.....1000!

I was somewhat shocked as you can imagine! I've been studying the material for this exam since December (right after passing the 293) and have devoted around 2 hours of study each day after work as well as time at the weekends.

I found this exam to be very logical – I took my time on each question, making sure I fully understood the requirements before committing to an answer (half the battle in my opinion). I think only two questions were educated guesses and a few others were instances where I had eliminated all other possibilities.

For those of you interested, my study resources were:

- Mike Meyers' Paperback Book - Exam 70-294 (used this brush up on any gaps in my knowledge)
- Transcender Exam Preparation – very good tool, the questions here are very in-depth, and include an explanation of the answer.
- 3x Windows Server 2003 machines: did a fair bit with these which included: Setting up the different types of trusts with multiple domains and two separate forests. Configuring AD sites with associated subnets, site links / costs, replication, hosting the GC etc. Setting up GPOs. Installing the adminpak and looking at the AD schema....You get the general idea here, putting knowledge into practice.
- And this site J

However, the most important thing here for me was real-world experience of the technologies in operation. I’ve been working in a large number of Schools for the last 8 years as a travelling systems engineer, technician and network manager (role depending on the size of the school). The skills I learnt and experience gained gave a massive boost – I would say 50% of the questions in the exam were very similar to scenarios I’ve had to deal with in the past.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. Just want to say a big thanks to the other forum administrators & members for sharing their knowledge & experiences here. Also a big thanks to the wife who has had to put up with me while I do this lol

On to the 297 now.

Cheers, Budzy.

Comments

• kamikaze_wormkamikaze_worm Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    VERY WELL DONE.

Good luck with 297, Sounds like your ace it! Probably before me :S lol

Kamikaze_worm
    IT Desktop Support Technician
    Comptia Exams passed - A+
    Microsoft Exams Passed - 270, 290, 291, 620, 293, 294
    Qualifications - MCP, MCTS, MCSA
    Working towards - MCSE
    Currently Studying - 298
  • BudzyBudzy Member Posts: 117
    Thank you. Had a look at the skills measured for 297 and also asked a colleague who completed a design exam...They sound rather different and pretty scary.
  • mezekermezeker Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nice job. Good work.

Since reading this I am going to re-take my 70-291 and now the 70-294 exam. I started studying the material a few years ago but it just fell off.

Can you let me know what type of servers you use. I am thinking about buying an Dell power edge server maybe an 1850, 1950, 2600 model since I know those models inside out.

Was thinking on getting it from geeks.com or tigerdirect.com (don't really sale dell servers) or maybe even ebay.

but you got an nice score on that exam and I wish you all the best on the next one.
    MCP, MCDST, MCTS: Vista, MCAS: Outlook 2007, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+, CompTIA Strata IT Fundamentals, ITIL v3, ISFS Information Security Foundation based on ISO/IEC 27002 Certified

"You must not only test whether an application
    does what it is supposed to do, but also whether it does not do what it should not do."
    mezeker wrote: »
    Nice job. Good work.

Since reading this I am going to re-take my 70-291 and now the 70-294 exam. I started studying the material a few years ago but it just fell off.

Can you let me know what type of servers you use. I am thinking about buying an Dell power edge server maybe an 1850, 1950, 2600 model since I know those models inside out.

Was thinking on getting it from geeks.com or tigerdirect.com (don't really sale dell servers) or maybe even ebay.

but you got an nice score on that exam and I wish you all the best on the next one.

Thanks mate,

In terms of hardware, I had a couple of old Dell power edge SC430 servers kicking about in the office after doing a few school server upgrades / migrations. If you’re looking for new hardware, I would just make sure it will support 64-bit operating systems for future study with windows server 2008 - probably don’t need anything that’s server grade for in-house studying / labbing.

Good luck with the 291 – that exam proved tricky on my first attempt.

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mezeker wrote: »
    Nice job. Good work.

If you're looking for the cheap route, VMware is the way to go. I have 6 or 7 servers running on my laptop. Much cheaper, and convenient that I can carry around an enterprise enviorment in my backpack.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • DOSDOS Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    WOW, a score of 1000. You really know your stuff. Congrats:D
  • BulletzBulletz Member Posts: 159
    GOOD JOB, !!! mate Good luck with 297, i will hitting be 298 next week
    Show me the way to go 127.0.0.1
    Thanks again peeps. Currently been reading the O'reilly MCSE Electives in a nutshell book in an effort to get my head around the 297. Not looking forward to this one so much (although I had a good laugh at the animal cover art that O'reilly use for their publications haha). Maybe worth a look for you both as it also contains the 298 material and isn't too in-depth in terms of waffle.

I was lucky to start my career when NT4 and 2000 were still around, just hoping I don’t need to learn too much of yesteryear.

Good luck guys!
  • sixfeetdeepsixfeetdeep Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great Job! I hope to do just as well when I sit to take exam in a few weeks!

b