Options

Connectivity problem on random computers

zippie666zippie666 Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello world,

I'm currently doing an internship in a very big company (>5000 employees) and they recently migrated their exchange servers to exchange 2010. All went pretty well, but estimated is that between 10 and 50 users cannot use outlook anymore. Client computers are windows xp sp3 and have office 2003 installed.

Now the really strange thing happens in this window (random screenshot from google): outlook2003toevoegenextramailbox-7.png

When I enter the server address and user account it sometimes recognizes it, sometimes it won't. After pressing the check name button it usually gives errors about not being able to connect to the exchange server. When clicked repeatedly sometimes out of the blue it does get recognised and it gets underlined like in that screenshot. When pressing next I get errors again about not being able to connect to the exchange server. When trying this on other computers that have the same OS, same patches, same antivirus/firewall/security setting, that are on the same subnet, ... you can connect on most computers and you don't have any problems at all. The webmail works on all computers, so I'm guessing it's an office 2003 client setting but I can't seem to find what. The encryption required is not the cause of these problems, I have found info about that on the net already. I really have no clue at all, any of you have any idea at all what might be the cause of this?

Thanks in advance,
zippie666
Current cert:
MCSA: Windows 7, 8 & Server 2008
EXIN ITIL v3 Foundation
EXIN ISO 27002 Foundations
CIW Web Professional

Comments

• Options
    Also, I don't think it's a DNS issue since only a "lucky" few (10+) have these problems. Flushing DNS-cache doesn't change a thing, it doesn't break the working ones nor fix the broken ones... icon_sad.gif
    Current cert:
    EXIN ITIL v3 Foundation
    CIW Web Professional
  • Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    DNS, Network issue, build image, you need to find the common denominator (there WILL be one) but that's what to look at first. Seemingly random issues are hard to pin down but use method to work it out, once you worked out whats wrong work on the solution and the easiest way to roll it out.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Do these users have the same issue on a different compute too?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    Do these users have the same issue on a different compute too?

No, it is computer-bound icon_neutral.gif

Users with problems trying on a working workstation don't have problems...
    Current cert:
    EXIN ITIL v3 Foundation
    CIW Web Professional
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    zippie666 wrote: »
    No, it is computer-bound icon_neutral.gif

Users with problems trying on a working workstation don't have problems...

That to me means something is foobar on those machines. Instead of troubleshooting the problem and getting nowhere really, why not just reimage these machines.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Since you are using Outlook 2003 - you may have to set the registry key "DefConnectOpts" in order to allow RPC over HTTP

Error messages when you try to connect Outlook 2007 to Exchange Server: "The action cannot be completed" or "Your Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable" or "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook"

This KB is for Outlook 2007 - but applies to 2003 as well (change the version accordingly - version 14 to 11 (I THINK ) )
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    First off all, thanks for your replies! The problem has been solved icon_cool.gif, albeit on another way. There was a root certificate missing on the client computer, for more info see: Why is the Entrust 2048 bit Root Certificate not installed? — Technote Article — Entrust

Again, thanks for your help
    Current cert:
    EXIN ITIL v3 Foundation
    CIW Web Professional