Options

Switch - Failed

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
A little frustrated right now, just mad. Coworker who cheated his CCNA last year went to a 12 day CCNP boot camp on the company's dollar, and bam. CCNP now. VERY frustrated by that opportunity alone.

So after having this coworker lap me I thought I would push myself. I stayed in for 3 solid days studying. I've already got near 100 hours into this test and a few years experience with STP and switches in general. Way more than this other guy. I mean, I have done everything right? I should do alright. Or at least it would be close.

Wrong! Man did I just get owned. Am I allowed to post the actual score? I think I am not allowed to under Non-disclosure? Bah!

I am laughing about it really, since I am glad I took it. I realized I am spinning my wheels at the moment on my materials. I did great in every category except wireless and security. I even FELT great doing it. But material I needed to pass the wireless section is simply not in my tool kit.

I suppose people are passing the wireless section via experience since I can now assure you 100% that what you need to know to pass the wireless section on Switch IS NOT in the Learning Guide, Certification guide, Lab Manual, Video Mentor, CBT Nuggets or in Network Warrior. I have the questions as best I can recall them on paper in front of them and it's just not covered.

I just ordered the CCNA: Wireless book and asked my boss to buy the CCNA: Wireless Nuggets.

The Security part wasn't so bad, I honestly just forgot some syntax. Confident that I'll pass that sim next time now if I get it again.

So I am going to step back to the CCNA:Wireless for a couple months but I'll be back on switch by June. Set backs happen, as long as I am moving forward, right?
-Daniel

Comments

• Options
    wireratwirerat Member Posts: 251
    That sucks. Better luck on the next attempt.
  • Options
    tndfrtndfr Member Posts: 110
    sorry man, CBT is just not adequate for the wireless (personally i think it is a complete waste of time, i'd rather the 8 hours reading books...).

for the wireless i am only using what i did on my CCNA few years back and the foundation guide+official certification guide.

i have got my SWITCH exam tomorrow, will keep you posted.
    Working on CCNP 642-813 and finishing off MCSA.
  • Options
    by the way where does it say we cant publish our scores? i think we're taking this NDA business too far, i posted mine the other day and the foum's admin didnt block it.

my score was 650
  • Options
    lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    Posting the score and score breakdown is not against the NDA.

Bad luck dude, I've been following your SWITCH preperation posts and I thought you would have killed it. I thought the wireless stuff on the exam was difficult too as I didn't have any real experience configuring WLCs or deploying LAPs.

See you back here in June!
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I think I agree that CBTs are a waste. I am really starting to think that. At least for things with a CLI. Maybe if I go back to Microsoft certs. I think maybe as review only. Nice to have someone talk through a concept for you.

But honestly the wireless materials were not in the texts either. At least not what I saw in the test. Already started reading CCNA:Wireless. Question is should I just get all the associate level certs before moving on? It's really feeling like that.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Did you find your preperation materials were enough for the the 'Prepare, plan, design,..' type questions?
  • Options
    *BB**BB* Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sucks man; get it next time.

I'm taking it on Saturday. Pass or no pass, I dont care anymore. I just want to take it. If I pass-cool. If not, at least I know what I need to work on.
    Procrastinator extraordinaire
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Did you think about giving hints to your bosses that your coworker cheated on the CCNA exam?
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    Did you think about giving hints to your bosses that your coworker cheated on the CCNA exam?

Bad idea in my opinion.. people who **** on their exams will eventually get found out in some way or another.
  • Options

nah... i'd leave it to Karma. usually with networking people get found out very quickly....
  • Options
    BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    lrb wrote: »
    Bad idea in my opinion.. people who **** on their exams will eventually get found out in some way or another.

+1 you don't want to create problems with peers it can have mix consequences...
  • Options
    Xishan anwarXishan anwar Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    so sad
    good luck for next time
  • Options
    Ryuksapple84Ryuksapple84 Member Posts: 183
    Keep at it and don't give up. It is awesome that you are studying and not just going to a boot camp and cheating. Believe me, you will know a lot more then that guy.

I have seen the same thing happen many times but you are better off. Good luck. I am in the process of purchasing an AP for the Switch Exam so I can practice.

Cheers
    Eating humble pie.