Options

SWITCH Passed, rants

tndfrtndfr Member Posts: 110
finally...!

still disappointed though, the exam experience is awful, Window-Resizing and Manipulation should be Cisco proprietary skill (since no other certification i did was this bad)

there were so many things that just made the whole thing seem a bit amateurish. horrible layouts, colours, graphic, etc... no consistency in the lab formats....badly compressed images (really!!!!!!!) OMG what happened to Cisco?

i actually managed to find sometime to comment on some spelling mistakes and silly other things that i have found.

when i took on this exam i set myself 6 weeks worth of non stop studying (did it in 7 weeks- failed last week)

now on to the route and i will set myself 6 weeks to do the whole thing and add 1 week for TSHOOT.

i firmly believe when time allows (and no big life commitments), no certification should take more than 6-12 months especially if you are already in the industry (hell even CCIE shouldnt take more than 12 months)

if you are willing to take more than 6-12 month to do one than you better be spending your time and money doing a BSC or MSC..
Working on CCNP 642-813 and finishing off MCSA.

Comments

• Options
    wireratwirerat Member Posts: 251
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Congratulations man!

Did you feel like you had better luck this time with the questions or sims you got, or do you think brushing up on the design portion was the main factor? Just curious.

Anyway, congrats again and this thread is proof that even if the exam is extremely poor quality, it isn't impossible to pass.

I'll give it a shot on March 14th and if I fail, well then I'll know which areas to improve on!
  • Options
    /usr wrote: »
    Congratulations man!

Did you feel like you had better luck this time with the questions or sims you got, or do you think brushing up on the design portion was the main factor? Just curious.

Anyway, congrats again and this thread is proof that even if the exam is extremely poor quality, it isn't impossible to pass.

I'll give it a shot on March 14th and if I fail, well then I'll know which areas to improve on!

reading FLG made all the difference, it helped a lot! there was so much in there ! (had to read it with two espresso shots though!).
    FLG covered the design part in every single chapter (at the beginning), some parts of the book went beyond what the exam entitles but i suppose it never hurts to know more about a subject.

i think it was a couple of people on this forum (maybe yourself as well) who advised me to invest some time on FLG, definitely it was time well spent, so thank you for the advice.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    YahelYahel Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulationsicon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
    CCNA = Passed (01-02-2011)
    NEXT : CCNP ROUTE
  • Options
    Ryuksapple84Ryuksapple84 Member Posts: 183
    Congrats man
    Eating humble pie.
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    tndfr wrote: »
    reading FLG made all the difference, it helped a lot! there was so much in there ! (had to read it with two espresso shots though!).
    FLG covered the design part in every single chapter (at the beginning), some parts of the book went beyond what the exam entitles but i suppose it never hurts to know more about a subject.

i think it was a couple of people on this forum (maybe yourself as well) who advised me to invest some time on FLG, definitely it was time well spent, so thank you for the advice.

Aside from the errata/typos, I've found the FLG is a great resource for the Switch exam prep. I'm reviewing the OEG (Books 24x7) and Lab manual for an attempt March 4. Great job on the pass!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass :)
  • Options
    Awesome
    Eating humble pie.
  • Options
    *BB**BB* Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took it today and got a 770 (790 to pass). Some spelling errors, a question about something that didnt exist, and a couple of very vague questions were the only things I can gripe about. The rest is pretty straight forward.

Sadly, security was the death of me. I was brain farting and just drawing blanks on the questions. No big deal though as I dont consider not passing a failure. I consider it an opportunity to see where you are at and improve. More review work this week and take it again next Saturday.
    Procrastinator extraordinaire
  • Options
    *BB* wrote: »
    I took it today and got a 770 (790 to pass). Some spelling errors, a question about something that didnt exist, and a couple of very vague questions were the only things I can gripe about. The rest is pretty straight forward.

Sadly, security was the death of me. I was brain farting and just drawing blanks on the questions. No big deal though as I dont consider not passing a failure. I consider it an opportunity to see where you are at and improve. More review work this week and take it again next Saturday.

OMG you were probably one question away from passing!
    i am assuming we are talking about the same "missing reference" on a lab question, when you are only 1 question away from passing, everything matters and there is no room from sloppy questions that Cisco seems to be riddled with these days. have used the comment function?

i am very sorry to hear that, i failed it the first time with even worse score than yourself 650, if it is only security that you need to brush up on than definitely take it next week.

if you also have some spare time please read FLG, it did help me quite a lot.

i am sure you'll pass it next week with flying colors, all the best.
  • Options
    mentosmentos Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass -

quick question though, what is FLV ? cisco switch book ? - does it come in the routing and trbshooting flavour ?
    Also what books other that "flv" did you read - im currently reading the cisco route ( first of 3 subjects for me).
    a+ n+ ccna
    studying for ccnp route
  • Options
    *BB**BB* Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tndfr wrote: »
    OMG you were probably one question away from passing!
    i am assuming we are talking about the same "missing reference" on a lab question, when you are only 1 question away from passing, everything matters and there is no room from sloppy questions that Cisco seems to be riddled with these days. have used the comment function?

i am very sorry to hear that, i failed it the first time with even worse score than yourself 650, if it is only security that you need to brush up on than definitely take it next week.

if you also have some spare time please read FLG, it did help me quite a lot.

i am sure you'll pass it next week with flying colors, all the best.

Didnt have time to use the comment function. I used up all my time and finished the last question with about a minute to spare. If I get the same one next week, I will comment on it.

I used mainly used the FLG and the OCG as a suppliment. Also got the SWITCH CBT nuggets, but I used them mainly for review if I didnt feel like reading.
    mentos wrote: »
    quick question though, what is FLV ? cisco switch book ? -

FLG=Foundation learning guide.
    Procrastinator extraordinaire
  • Options
    tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, before taking the exam, i feel i need to watch Wireless and Design nuggets. I would feel better even if i think i'm ready for the exam!

I still have some doubts!
  • Options
    Yahel wrote: »
    Congratulationsicon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif

Congrats man.
    Eating humble pie.
  • Options
    Man, I get dinged for my avatar? That is just too much. It is supposed to be funny and I think it is funny.
    Eating humble pie.