Options

70-642 Passed! AAH!

darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
A dirty pass, 783, but a pass either way.

I love how accurate the results are; I hardly labbed Network Access and DNS concepts, and Microsoft seems to thoroughly enjoy pointing out how bloody awful I am at employing those commands, designs and concepts.

The one thing I will say is; this exam sat for exactly 60 minutes on my end. This was after... Untold amounts of labbing and former experience with my own Network Server operations within my personal home labs and home servers (Before I went to full linux boxes, something I am still somewhat slow at learning up on).

My advice to all; DNS, Remote Access, WSUS and IPv6. Those are the spots I struggled with, IPSec implementation, Backups, File and Print Server and general addressing and network solutions (Those exhibits don't do justice to how little information you are given...) were all cake. I had 20+ "No Sh*t" moments, I actually slowed down and revised those questions due to how fast and easy they were to answer. Then again, some people struggle with general concept and command line questions, but I found them to be easy as long as you've used them once in a scenario.

My recommended materials: MSoft press book, lab and various youtube videos on how to setup certain server roles and configure them.
:twisted:

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats1 You scored higher than me...lol I scored exactly 700...lol
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    ZentraediZentraedi Member Posts: 150
    Congrats!

I had a similar experience with 70-642. To honest, I think it would have been a much easier exam if I had taken the 70-640 first. Another problem I had was being a bit cocky and not reviewing "File and Print Services". I thought, "Meh, that's fluff. I don't need to review since I use it all the time." Turns out, that's the one section where I did quite poorly.
    Current Study Track
    EMCCA, EMCCAe, EMCCE, VCIX-NV, Puppet Practitioner, ServiceNow
  • Options
    CChilderhoseCChilderhose Member Posts: 137
    Congrats. icon_thumright.gif

When I did the MCITP:SA boot camp we did this exam first before 640 and then 646.

I was lucky and scored a 960 on this one but a pass is a pass no matter what the score.

Good luck on future exams.
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
    MCITP: EA, VA, SA
    VCAP-DCD, VCP6 -- COMING SOON
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Zentraedi wrote: »
    Congrats!

I had a similar experience with 70-642. To honest, I think it would have been a much easier exam if I had taken the 70-640 first. Another problem I had was being a bit cocky and not reviewing "File and Print Services". I thought, "Meh, that's fluff. I don't need to review since I use it all the time." Turns out, that's the one section where I did quite poorly.
    That was my only poor area also. I found that the test hammered this area more than the MS Press book covered it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    thpaulothpaulo Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, and tanks for the advises!
    Im study for this exam, i plan take the 642 test in April, my main work are in cisco networks, so i have some dificults in Win2k8.

My materials are MS book and TSignal videos and virtual labs.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    congratulations icon_thumright.gif
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)