Options

NOC Experience

arsalan921arsalan921 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello All,

anyone who works as Network Engineer in NOC would like to share their experience ? initial days, and after few months ?

i am starting from next month. first job.

Comments

• Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    pretty good first job if you ask me. id kill to work in network operations as a firs gig.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    westwardwestward Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    arsalan921 wrote: »
    Hello All,

anyone who works as Network Engineer in NOC would like to share their experience ? initial days, and after few months ?

i am starting from next month. first job.

How'd you go about getting this position...education, degree, and where'd you see the listing?

Love to know, thanks!
  • Options
    cisco_nerdcisco_nerd Member Posts: 198
    My job here in Aus as part of the Defence is to maintain a high tempo combat operational network data processing centre. My position is as a Network Maintainer and Systems Administrator as well.

Amazing experience, maintaining a huge data network spanning 3 main sites, and multiple smaller sensor sites and associated centres. As a result it is imperative we maintain uptime of 99.999% due to the nature of data that is processed.

I don't have a degree (yet), but i am trade qualified in Electrical and Electronics Engineering and this is my first job in the I.T. sector and on just under AUD$80k.
  • Options
    arsalan921arsalan921 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @Cisco Inferno: yaa i think its a great start.
    @cisco nerd: thank you for sharing your experience.
    @westward. my qualification. BS(Computer Engineering) and I am ccnp certified.
    I gave 3 to 4 interviews recently for network engineer position in an ISP, and they have asked me to join them from march. so wondering what will be my initial duties, what tasks i will be assigned.
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    It differs from company to company what NOCs do. In some you are pretty much doing everything network related. In ours, its mostly a monitoring with some light configuration work.

You'll only be able to find out from the place you will be working at.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    arsalan921 wrote: »
    I gave 3 to 4 interviews recently for network engineer position in an ISP, and they have asked me to join them from march. so wondering what will be my initial duties, what tasks i will be assigned.

If I were you... I'd try to email someone from the shop you'll be working in and ask them if there is any particular technology they want you to concentrate on to better prepare you for the start of your new job. That'll give you an idea of what you'll be doing... HTH.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    stuh84 wrote: »
    It differs from company to company what NOCs do. In some you are pretty much doing everything network related. In ours, its mostly a monitoring with some light configuration work.

You'll only be able to find out from the place you will be working at.

This. One places NOC Engineer is another places system administrator. So take the title with a grain of salt. Do you not have a job description?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    I worked for an ISP as a NOC Tech for almost 4 years. It was good at first, quite a bit of hands on but it gets really repetitive. I went to the Network Academy because we were a big Cisco shop, got my NA and they started letting me do some Field Engineer work. I would often install and troubleshoot customers connections, do night maintenance. I got to head up most new projects and learned quite a bit.

The reason why I left was because they were "consolidating" resources into central Ohio and started using some piece of junk smart media converter that made the job so easy a monkey could do it. Before all that started I found a job working for a dedicated Cisco Parter as a consultant. In my case it was a great decision, had things stayed the same I probably would have stayed though.

Just my experience
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    Ryuksapple84Ryuksapple84 Member Posts: 183
    I work in a NOC as well and I would have to agree, the tittle can sometimes be a joke. I would not go as far as calling myself an engineer since all we do here is monitoring, ticketing and light configurations on production devices.

When it comes to troubleshooting issues, we have no eyes or ears with the Engineering team so we are always in the dark.
    Eating humble pie.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I work in a NOC as well and I would have to agree, the tittle can sometimes be a joke. I would not go as far as calling myself an engineer since all we do here is monitoring, ticketing and light configurations on production devices.

When it comes to troubleshooting issues, we have no eyes or ears with the Engineering team so we are always in the dark.

I had a job like that, I kept it for like 7 weeks. I hate they have these titles and then u don't do anything.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    Ryuksapple84Ryuksapple84 Member Posts: 183
    shodown wrote: »
    I had a job like that, I kept it for like 7 weeks. I hate they have these titles and then u don't do anything.

Yeah, I am in the process of getting my CCNP in hopes of moving to another position where I can be an engineer. I have the knowledge, but it seems like you need to have a lot of certs or know someone. I just don't happen to know anyone, lol.
    Eating humble pie.
  • Options
    gaby_978gaby_978 Member Posts: 222

Same here. I worked for a Managed Services NOC as a "noc engineer" and pretty much all I did was monitor and open and assigend tickets to the TRUE Engineers.
    ‎"If you spend too much time thinking about a thing,
    you'll never get it done"
  • Options
    cuuloco10cuuloco10 Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    1st Level NOC = 20 Skills / 80 Process/Procedures/Tickets Assigments
    2nd Level NOC = 60 Troubleshooting / 40 Procedures, Exp CCNA & CCNPs
    3rd Level NOC = 100% cool stuff from Security, R & S, and Voice = CCIE

that's imho...