Options

CNA Switch Help

Ryuksapple84Ryuksapple84 Member Posts: 183
Hey Guys,

I will be starting my studies for my Switching exam and I want to purchase a used AP so I can have hands on exp for the wireless part of the exam.

What AP should I look into purchasing?

Is Cisco Aironet 1100 Access Point AIR-AP1121G-A-K​9 a good one?

Thanks for the response.
Eating humble pie.

Comments

• Options
    What about this one?
    CISCO AIRONET 1200 ACCESS POINT AIR-AP1231G-A-K9 AP WAP
    Eating humble pie.
  • Options
    tndfrtndfr Member Posts: 110
    What about this one?
    CISCO AIRONET 1200 ACCESS POINT AIR-AP1231G-A-K9 AP WAP

those are autonomous APs, so they will do fine.
    just make sure you dont pick up the 802.11B version.

can i just say that your really dont need this for the SWITCH exam, in fact if you noticed, the curriculum focuses on LAP and WLCs and the LWAPP encapsulation used (i think there is only a page or two that covers the use of an autonomous AP with WLSE)

in fact in terms of Wireless coverage i think the CCNA went to more in depth than the 642-813 (which i remeber enjoying quite well at the time)
    Working on CCNP 642-813 and finishing off MCSA.
  • Options
    Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    Switch should only cover the switch configuration side on Wireless. Honestly you should just skip the WAP and try your best to remember the concepts and commands.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    tndfr wrote: »
    those are autonomous APs, so they will do fine.
    just make sure you dont pick up the 802.11B version.

can i just say that your really dont need this for the SWITCH exam, in fact if you noticed, the curriculum focuses on LAP and WLCs and the LWAPP encapsulation used (i think there is only a page or two that covers the use of an autonomous AP with WLSE)

in fact in terms of Wireless coverage i think the CCNA went to more in depth than the 642-813 (which i remeber enjoying quite well at the time)

Could you recommend which AP I should get that will help me with this exam as well as CCNA Wireless?
    Eating humble pie.
  • Options
    *BB**BB* Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Man, I thought we were going to talk about cisco network assistant
    Procrastinator extraordinaire
  • Options
    *BB* wrote: »
    Man, I thought we were going to talk about cisco network assistant

Sorry, that was a typo
    Eating humble pie.
  • Options
    tndfrtndfr Member Posts: 110
    Could you recommend which AP I should get that will help me with this exam as well as CCNA Wireless?

if you have the money then it wouldn't hurt to invest in an Autonomous AP 1230/1220 , if you are short on money however you can just buy a 802.11B and then upgrade components (antenna and software to 802.11G) from ebay (it'll work out cheaper than buying a G version).

we have two WLCs at work and i do get to play with them using WCS.

investing in a WLC is just an overkill for CCNA wireless let alone the SWITCH exam.
    Working on CCNP 642-813 and finishing off MCSA.
  • Options
    essclubessclub Member Posts: 31 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I doubt very much if you need to purchase an ap as I did the ccnaw with no hardware at all due to the costs involved however if u have the cash by all means buy but IMO if the hardware is not necessary for ccnaw I doubt it will be necessary for switch as it's only a small part of the course.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    One of these days I want to upgrade my lab with a WLC and AP's - but I passed the BCMSN without the wireless gear and from what I've heard you don't need to lab wireless for the new SWITCH exam.

The gear is getting less expensive - I've seen WLC's for $400. Last year they were going for $800.

Gear or no gear, you of course still need to study wireless. :)