Does anyone use the Microsoft cloud?

tenroutenrou Member Posts: 108
Hey,

There has been some talk about moving services off to the microsoft cloud but I'm a bit stumped on how you would actually be able to access the data. Take Exchange for example, at what layer does it stay in the could? Are CAS, HT and Mailbox all in the cloud? If so what methods do I use for connecting my clients? Alternatively do I host a CAS/HT server locally and then link local services to the cloud with SSL?

I'm assuming it uses Azure or is that mainly a .net dev enviroment?

Cheers

Comments

• tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    No clue since "the cloud" idea seems to be an evolving term.
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    One of my client uses Forefront Protection Online for spam filtering, I guess that would be considered the cloud.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I use Microsoft Mesh to sync up some folders on my machine using Skydrive, but that's about it. There are plenty of interpretations of the phrase "the cloud", it's mainly a buzz-term* to describe online storage or over-the-Internet transfers of data between machines/networks. Think of it kind of like this generations version of the phrase "the information super-highway".

*(See also: "web 2.0", "world of tomorrow", and "broadband".)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • tenroutenrou Member Posts: 108
    I've done some digging myself and it looks like they are talking about Office 365/BPOS.

I'm not sure I'm sold on the idea.
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    I use Microsoft Mesh to sync up some folders on my machine using Skydrive, but that's about it. There are plenty of interpretations of the phrase "the cloud", it's mainly a buzz-term* to describe online storage or over-the-Internet transfers of data between machines/networks. Think of it kind of like this generations version of the phrase "the information super-highway".

*(See also: "web 2.0", "world of tomorrow", and "broadband".)

Absolutely agree, I have seen a number of companies use cloud and virtualization terms interchangeably with different products and services. These brochure terms make it a pain in the butt for the implementers because I end up having some MBA telling me about how to solve infrastructure problems that he/she heard about at his last conference.

I almost banged my head against the conference room table (repeatedly) when an individual (Big Boss) stated that virtualizaiton will help reduce load of pegged servers. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yeah I use Dropbox and Google Docs to access homework and information from my iPad/desktop. Not sure about security though, I need to access the files but on the other hand I really cannot put anything remotely important in the folder because I have no clue where it is stored or how. Need to read up on how hosting providers will accommodate regulations different companies might need to comply with.
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I reread the original post. He is probably talking about Office 365 or MS BPOS cloud based collaboration tools.

To connect your outlook clients MS has a small widget software that will configure Outlook for RPC/HTTP and, of course, they can always use OWA.