The 6 crappiest interview questions

UnixGuyUnixGuy Are we having fun yet?Mod Posts: 4,147 Mod
Goal: MBA, Jan 2021

Comments

  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I was asked the first 3x questions yesterday at a first round interview. I was trying not to choke on my own false sense of enthusiasm for the company.

    Real Answers
    5 years time? I'll definitely be working somewhere else by then.
    Why do I want work here? It's job where I fit the criteria and it fits my salary range.
    What's your greatest weakness? No one thing stands out above all else. And I don't think about my weaknesses, I concentrate on self improvement in whatever I'm working on.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've been asked all but the manhole cover question before.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    I've been asked all but the manhole cover question before.

    Same here. I love the author's response to them as well, it's pretty much how most people feel about those questions I would think. Always enjoy The Oatmeal as a way to brighten my day.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    icon_lol.gif

    Made me laugh, nice way to start a friday morning
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

    Studying:
    MS press book 70-680
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513
    skyline wrote: »
    icon_lol.gif

    Made me laugh, nice way to start a friday morning

    Right! Those answers were hilarious but true.

    Concurring with mikedisd2, all those questions I was asked in my interview for my current job. After a few interviews those questions can become pretty mundane. Its like, slicing your wrist......slow deathicon_rolleyes.gif I want to sleeping.gif when I hear some of these...literally
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

    "TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Senior Member Mod Posts: 6,882 Mod
    Goos stuff. Hard to pick a favorite.
  • BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    I rofl so hard haha, thanks for posting this, my last interviewer asked all of the questions above, except the manhole :P haha...

    My favorite was "Tell me about yourself"
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,921 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i saw this a few weeks ago and had a great laugh as i have been asked these questions
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    earweed wrote: »
    I've been asked all but the manhole cover question before.

    Same here. It sounds like your basic HR phone screen before you get to the real interview.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Andy GriffinAndy Griffin Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »


    Like many who have responded, I have been asked all but the manhole question. Another question I hate that is not listed is "Tell me about a time you went beyond your job description to help a customer or coworker." Apparently, most interviewers read the same book.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Another question I hate that is not listed is "Tell me about a time you went beyond your job description to help a customer or coworker."

    This is an awful question. To go beyond your job description is to go out of the scope for what you were employed for. One's job description is there to protect everyone involved; going beyond it could hold me liable if things went wrong. We have ITIL for a reason and to me, occasionally bending the rules isn't something I would boast about to a potential employer. But HR schmucks like to fill in forms so I would make something up.
  • Andy GriffinAndy Griffin Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    This is an awful question. To go beyond your job description is to go out of the scope for what you were employed for. One's job description is there to protect everyone involved; going beyond it could hold me liable if things went wrong. We have ITIL for a reason and to me, occasionally bending the rules isn't something I would boast about to a potential employer. But HR schmucks like to fill in forms so I would make something up.

    I agree that it is an awful question. I am sure that the spirit of the question is to reflect an applicant's willingness to do more than the bare minimum amount required, but your point about potential liability is something I hadn't considered. The question is even worse than I thought. crash.gif
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Alligator wrestler Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    earweed wrote: »
    I've been asked all but the manhole cover question before.

    Yes me too, but this one is easy and really shuts people up when they get the answer. I guess the places where I've been asked that one were expecting..."uh..gee, I don't know...is it because people are round"...really, If I ever face any of these questions in my future, I'm pulling the Ben Afflac "Good Will Hunting" answers out. icon_thumright.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

    ***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

    'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • westwardwestward Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Regarding the man-hole question. They will say the answer is because a circle is the only shape that can't fall into itself. Meaning you can't drop it down the hole.

    The truth is that there's a recess in the manhole itself, which would protect any shape - not just a circle - from falling in.

    The REAL answer is - because a circle is a wheel and it's easier for someone to roll the manhole cover across the street and onto the hole - those things weigh a lot!
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    westward wrote: »
    The truth is that there's a recess in the manhole itself, which would protect any shape - not just a circle - from falling in.

    The REAL answer is - because a circle is a wheel and it's easier for someone to roll the manhole cover across the street and onto the hole - those things weigh a lot!

    I'm also told that a cylinder is the strongest structure. I reckon I would be more concerned about hitting my head in a square manhole as well.
  • TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    There is actually a skill to answering these questions "can you bull**** your way through some hoops". It is a bit of a double edged sword for the employer as it can and will be used against them but can be very useful for using on your customers to let them down gently.
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just hate this question "where do you see your self in 10 years" icon_blackeye.gif
  • westwardwestward Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    za3bour wrote: »
    I just hate this question "where do you see your self in 10 years" icon_blackeye.gif

    My smart ass answer:

    "In the mirror, the same place I see myself now."
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    westward wrote: »
    My smart ass answer:

    "In the mirror, the same place I see myself now."

    :D that would be a good answer
  • Andy GriffinAndy Griffin Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    westward wrote: »
    My smart ass answer:

    "In the mirror, the same place I see myself now."

    Reminds me of the Family Guy classic response by Peter at an interview. I won't post it here, but true FG fans know what I'm talking about.
  • jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    Reminds me of the Family Guy classic response by Peter at an interview. I won't post it here, but true FG fans know what I'm talking about.

    hahahah (don't say doing your wife... don't say doing your wife...)
  • JDMurrayJDMurray MSIT InfoSec, CISSP, SSCP, GSEC, EnCE, C|EH, CySA+, PenTest+, CASP+, Security+ Surf City, USAAdmin Posts: 11,662 Admin
    If a more mature interviewee, such as myself, were asked these questions, I would assume the interviewer was inexperience and was just asking practice questions to gain experience in conducting interviews.


    That being said, I remember several interview situations where "Operation PeePee Storm" would have come in very handy--on both sides of the desk. icon_lol.gif
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Are we having fun yet? Mod Posts: 4,147 Mod
    check this out guys, written by the same guy icon_lol.gif

    Mingle2 - Top 10 Ways for a Geek to Impress a Girl
    Goal: MBA, Jan 2021
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,314 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The Oatmeal rules. I was surprised everyone was taking that comic so seriously. There's no reason not to read all of these: Comics - The Oatmeal
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Are we having fun yet? Mod Posts: 4,147 Mod
    dynamik wrote: »
    The Oatmeal rules. I was surprised everyone was taking that comic so seriously. There's no reason not to read all of these: Comics - The Oatmeal


    yess !! I've read all his stuff, check his FB page :

    The Oatmeal | Facebook
    Goal: MBA, Jan 2021
  • JDMurrayJDMurray MSIT InfoSec, CISSP, SSCP, GSEC, EnCE, C|EH, CySA+, PenTest+, CASP+, Security+ Surf City, USAAdmin Posts: 11,662 Admin
    Eh, I'm more of a Penny Arcade reader--especially when they feature Dead Space.
  • HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Eh, I'm more of a Penny Arcade reader--especially when they feature Dead Space.

    Just recently finished both of the dead space games. I cracked up on the comic where issac stomps the dead person to find four dollars in his ribcage:D
  • JDMurrayJDMurray MSIT InfoSec, CISSP, SSCP, GSEC, EnCE, C|EH, CySA+, PenTest+, CASP+, Security+ Surf City, USAAdmin Posts: 11,662 Admin
    Heero wrote: »
    Just recently finished both of the dead space games. I cracked up on the comic where issac stomps the dead person to find four dollars in his ribcage:D
    Play it on the Easy setting to get more $$$ per corpse stomp. icon_moneyeyes.gif

    I'm really excited about DS2, but it's difficult for me to find enough leisure time just to finish DS1. I actually built myself a new gaming computer for Xmas because DS1 was killing my old one.
Sign In or Register to comment.