Options

hate norton av

keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
i hate this mess. i recently uninstalled norton av and none of my network connections would not come back no wireless no lan. i'm lucky that i have a few other computers to use at home and was able to search the web for a fix. come to find out that it had installed 2 registry keys that made dhcp and another network related service dependant on it being on the system icon_eek.gif once i removed those keys and rebooted it was all good.. but there is another problem its installed on the other computer i used to find the fix. i swear use there product and they want u committed...lol
Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons

Comments

• Options
    sputnic68sputnic68 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, we had the same problem. Norton would change registry keys without you knowing. That is why we don't use it anymore in our business
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Norton causes many troubles....gave up on it generations back... Tried McAfee, but now running into similar things.

Looking at TrendMicro, CA or AVG in a test environment to see which works the most efficient and causes the least headache. Trend Micro is doing well, thus far.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    We use a combination of Trendmicro, AVG, and some in house stuff. Works very well.
  • Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    I can't stand the Norton side of Symantec's products, but Symantec's corporate AV client is pretty damned good, it's never given me a problem. But the Norton line... god I have seen so many systems screwed up by a Norton Systemworks install that it'll never grace one of my boxes again.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    we have the same experience when using both Norton and mcAffe, migrated to trend micro... small but powerful software to run on clients workstations. :),
    specially - i love the viruswall running on the edge of the network.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Norton is biggest piece of s**t. We use Trend at all our clients and it such a good client. Runs without hogging all the resources like Norton does.

Anyone use VET. Its not as bad as Norton but it is pretty useless.

Recently, one of our clients decided that Norton was the best to get so they put Norton on all their computers. So I did that then all of a sudden their computers are running really slow. I tried to warn them but hey I'm just the IT consultant what would I know.

So the result? They upgraded the memory on all the computers to handle Norton.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hmmm - strange

Most of our clients use Symantec Corporate or just plain ole Norton AV and we have very few problems. We have had some issues with Norton Internet Security and System Works, but would never advise a client to install that anyways - McAfee has caused us no end of stress on many machines so we shy away from it.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I like Norton / Symantec Corporate. Norton Personal is OK. Norton Internet Security is the work of the devil.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Norton System Works = Resource hog
    Norton Internet Security = A scam to make a consumer feel safe behind a firewall. Thinking ... Thinking ... Thinking ... Okay, the FBI isn't using this product as their firewall.

Norton AntiVirus Corporate = Awesome
    Norton AntiVirus Consumer = Good
  • Options
    MetaldaveMetaldave Member Posts: 102 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We use, Norton Corporate here in the job, its great. No probs at all with it. The client machines are a bit over spec for office boxes anyways so there isnt a performance problem. I was using Norton at home too until I formatted just recently and changed over to Trend, far superior! Doesn't hog resources.. and so far seems to be doing agreat job.