Options

Passed Server+

ToullyToully Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Had to take the server+ as my company was insisting on it. Got 855. Didnt really study, just brushed the cobwebs off old info stored somewhere in my brain. Got a few questions I want expecting, specifically vmware. Overall I am pleased with the score. On one question, I had no idea what they were talking about and still don't. Cant remember what it was and wouldnt be allowed to say even if I did but they may as well have written it in arabic!

Very little study material out there if you do need to study though. I was fortunate, all my years in HP put me in good stead for the exam but anyone going in from scratch or with little hands on may find quality study materials hard to come by.

Comments

• Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Toully wrote: »
    Had to take the server+ as my company was insisting on it. Got 855. Didnt really study, just brushed the cobwebs off old info stored somewhere in my brain. Got a few questions I want expecting, specifically vmware. Overall I am pleased with the score. On one question, I had no idea what they were talking about and still don't. Cant remember what it was and wouldnt be allowed to say even if I did but they may as well have written it in arabic!

Very little study material out there if you do need to study though. I was fortunate, all my years in HP put me in good stead for the exam but anyone going in from scratch or with little hands on may find quality study materials hard to come by.

Great job

I have found some information and books out there. Hopefully it will be enough for me to pass.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    Great job

I have found some information and books out there. Hopefully it will be enough for me to pass.

Good luck with your exam when you take it.
  • Options
    Good luck with your exam when you take it.

Thanks man I appreciate it.

The book I am using is in my sig line.
  • Options
    I genuinely believe this cert is under estimated. I have heard many people say it has little value or is just slightly above A+ but in reality many manufacturers, such as HP, require this as a prerequisit for their own exams which then lead on to certifications that allow warranty work to be carried out.
  • Options
    I genuinely believe this cert is under estimated. I have heard many people say it has little value or is just slightly above A+ but in reality many manufacturers, such as HP, require this as a prerequisit for their own exams which then lead on to certifications that allow warranty work to be carried out.

That's great to hear!

I really enjoy studying for the Comptia exams. I really do learn a lot from them. I want to get this one done and security +.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I'm looking forward to taking this exam, I wish it was part of my WGU track
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to taking this exam, I wish it was part of my WGU track

Yeah I am pretty much done with desktop support technologies to be honest. I was going to do the 271 and 272, but decided financially and career wise this would be a bad move. I don't want to paint myself in a corner as a hardware tech, remote tech, or deskside tech. Eventually I want to get out of this role. If this means jumping to a brand new technology then that would be fine or going back to a team lead role or even supervisor.

Whatever certifications I get will point me to those directions. That is why security and server are going to be my last certifications for a while. I don't see any ROI on any other certifications at this point, until I get the experience.

Someone used this analogy on this forum, and I have adopted it since then. "The certification is the icing and the experience is the cake".

That's why I like the Comptia's. It gives you a non vendor high overview perspective over the different technologies. IMO, that is all it is, I feel getting vendor specific certs a waist, unless you are required to get the certification or if you are currently working in that technology and want to fill in the knowledge gaps and learn more about it.

I know some people state that they learn the technology in a book and labbing first then attempting to get a job. I found this tactic having a very low success rate. I find people are more prone to get those jobs because of their work ethic, parents or relations in the company, personality, direct managers, and attrition. Notice I never mention certifications in that formula. It's because it rarely plays a factor. Very few of our high level guys have certifications in their job field. Some do, but it's usually 1 or 2, not 10.

With that being said do what you feel is right. I am a team lead in a support center, not to be mistaken for a supervisor. I am in my 30's and still haven't made it yet. So I am not saying what I am saying is correct. But it's an observation and being in 3 different environments has given me several points of view.

Bottomline is do what you feel will give you the best chance to succeed.