Options

Virtualbox setup question for Windows Server 2003

Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
I have a question about Virtualbox and setting it up to use Windows Server 2003. One tutorial I ran across said that you have to have the Server 2003 OS already in order to use it with Virtualbox? Really? I thought that was the whole point of using a virtual program - so you wouldn't have to go out and buy the expensive software?

Of course, this shows you how much I know at this point, but we all have to start somewhere.

Comments

• Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No, go play with VirtualBox before going through the tutorials. Install it and work with it for a short period of time you will see it is really simple to use.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    No - virtualization only eliminates the need for hardware, you still have to have the software you intend to run.

That said, you can install an evaluation version of Server 2003, which will work for 180 days. As far as I know, MS isn't generating keys for 2003 anymore, so that's getting pretty hard to come buy.

Someone else might be able to shed more light on it. I don't bother with evaulation licenses, becase personally, I just drop the $300+ dollars on a technet subscription, which has exceeded all my labbing needs over the years.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
    jmritenour wrote: »
    No - virtualization only eliminates the need for hardware, you still have to have the software you intend to run.

That said, you can install an evaluation version of Server 2003, which will work for 180 days. As far as I know, MS isn't generating keys for 2003 anymore, so that's getting pretty hard to come buy.

Someone else might be able to shed more light on it. I don't bother with evaulation licenses, becase personally, I just drop the $300+ dollars on a technet subscription, which has exceeded all my labbing needs over the years.

Does this also apply to VMware?

If this is the case, and Microsoft isn't generating keys anymore for Server 2003, what good is Virtualbox? Wouldn't it be just as easy to fork over the money for a real honest-to-goodness server with Windows Server 2003 already on it? Wow - everyone kept telling me how easy to use Virtualbox is, but no one mentioned that I still have to go out and buy the Server 2003 software. I wonder how much that's going to set me back?
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Dr_Atomic wrote: »
    Does this also apply to VMware?

If this is the case, and Microsoft isn't generating keys anymore for Server 2003, what good is Virtualbox? Wouldn't it be just as easy to fork over the money for a real honest-to-goodness server with Windows Server 2003 already on it? Wow - everyone kept telling me how easy to use Virtualbox is, but no one mentioned that I still have to go out and buy the Server 2003 software. I wonder how much that's going to set me back?

Nah man you dont need to BUY any licenses. That's exactly what I thought when I first played with virtualisation. In the last thread you created, I have posted links to where you can download trial licenses. Check the post that za3bour made for downloading Windows Server 2003.

It's all part of a learning curve mate, you are not going to be told everything. People on here will tell you most of what you need, for everything else there is Google...
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    poriggityporiggity Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you can, download virtual PC 2007, and there is a trial version of Win2k3 you can download from microsoft's site that will allow you to play around. Problem I am seeing with it, is lack of a domain or domain controller, but I guess I could just make something up HAHAHA..
    A+, 70-270, and working on 70-290 now. Certs are good.
    claymoore wrote:
    If you're unzipping your fly to show off your A+, N+ and Sec+, I'm going to ask if it's cold in here.