Options

Which 70-647 Practice Exam

I had a voucher for the Microsoft eLearning site for 70-647. Don't care for the ElementK interface and the online labs were nearly unusable. Couldn't find any post-tests to determine how well I absorbed the knowledge.

I read through the Sybex book and have taken the practice exams on the accompanying CD but I don't feel ready to try and take the certification exam yet.

I can afford to pay for one practice exam package but am unsure which one is the best. Any thoughts / recommendations since the prices for both Transcender and MeasureUp are comparable.

Thank you

Sean
----CCNP goal----
Route [ ] Studying
Switch [ ] Next
Tshoot [ ] Eventually

Comments

• Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    spd3432 wrote: »
    I had a voucher for the Microsoft eLearning site for 70-647. Don't care for the ElementK interface and the online labs were nearly unusable. Couldn't find any post-tests to determine how well I absorbed the knowledge.

I read through the Sybex book and have taken the practice exams on the accompanying CD but I don't feel ready to try and take the certification exam yet.

I can afford to pay for one practice exam package but am unsure which one is the best. Any thoughts / recommendations since the prices for both Transcender and MeasureUp are comparable.

Thank you

Sean

I have used MeasureUp and I think they're good, I don't have any experience with Transcender though.

Have you read the MS book or you're only using the Sybex?
  • Options
    Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    I've used both Transcender and MeasureUp for previous exams and I like Transcender better and it seemed to be closer to the actual tests - and it covered the material better IMO.

MeasueUp is also good, but I thought the questions seemed like a rerun of the questions on the MS Press book CD.

Both are good sources and I would recommend selecting whichever has been updated for 2008 R2. Last time I looked neither was R2 ready... I'm getting ready to take 647 and the lack of R2 practice tests has been a HUGE issue in preparation.

Good luck.
  • Options
    spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224

Both are good sources and I would recommend selecting whichever has been updated for 2008 R2. Last time I looked neither was R2 ready... I'm getting ready to take 647 and the lack of R2 practice tests has been a HUGE issue in preparation.

Good luck.

I saw the same lack of R2 content on the practice exams. Had an opportunity and went ahead and took the 647 exam today. Passed with minimum score. There were a lot of questions that I had had no preparation for just using the Microsoft eLearning and Sybex book. I would have probably scored higher if I'd taken the 642/643 or 649 first.
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on passing the exam!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    marcelsmarcels Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nice work, congrats!

Do you have any advice to share with us that are currently prep'ing for this exam?
  • Options
    spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    marcels wrote: »
    Nice work, congrats!

Do you have any advice to share with us that are currently prep'ing for this exam?

Thanks. This test was the one I felt least prepared for of all I've taken going back to NT4.

I don't want to violate NDA so...
    Read and understand the current written materials, then
    Read up on R2. There's a free eBook available from Microsoft (about 200 pages) that highlights differences between R1 and R2. Some things have been added with R2, some have been renamed, and the client focus has moved forward.

Windows Server 2008 Training and Learning Courses | Training Portal

sean
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually