Options

It's official I am in an IT leadership role!

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
@ 2:43 PM central time I was offered the IT management position for a hardware deployment team. There will be 3-7 employees underneath me and I will be working under a project manager with 25+ years of IT experience, two bachelors and a masters. Not to overshadow his MCSE, CNE, PMP, A+, N+, S+.

I am extremely nervous, but excited at the same time. This will be my first true management position. I did team lead for 6 months, but that was at a fairly micro managed level. I can't wait to put my two weeks in tomorrow.

A couple concerns I have obvious leadership, but I feel like this is a natural strength of mine, I have always been told. My written communication sometimes can be very average. Working with Dells instead of Lenovo machines.

The extent of break fixs will be systemboards, keyboards, mousepads, ram, hard drives.

I have been in this industry for 5+ years and I feel this is my calling. At age 35 I might not get another chance like this, since age descrimination can occur.

So I just wanted to let you all know that this forum has been instrumental in my success and I wanted to share this with you all.

Kind Regards,
N2IT

Comments

• Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    @ 2:43 PM central time I was offered the IT management position for a hardware deployment team. There will be 3-7 employees underneath me and I will be working under a project manager with 25+ years of IT experience, two bachelors and a masters. Not to overshadown his MCSE, CNE, PMP, A+, N+, S+.

I am extremely nervous, but excited at the same time. This will be my first true management position. I did team lead for 6 months, but that was at a fairly micro managed level. I can't wait to put my two weeks in tomorrow.

A couple concerns I have obvious leadership, but I feel like this is a natural strength of mine, I have always been told. My written communication sometimes can be very average. Working with Dells instead of Lenovo machines.

The extent of break fixs will be systemboards, keyboards, mousepads, ram, hard drives.

I have been in this industry for 5+ years and I feel this is my calling. At age 35 I might not get another chance like this, since age descrimination can occur.

So I just wanted to let you all know that this forum has been instrumental in my success and I wanted to share this with you all.

Kind Regards,
    N2IT

Events like this are what make me cherish this forum. :)

Congratulations on your advancement; I'm sure you'll knock em dead bro.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations mate, you most certainly deserved it.

Just out of curiosity, nothing more, are you going to be fixing hardware even though you are in management now?

With the forums it's the same here. TechExams has played a BIG part in helping shape me career and getting me where I currently am.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    congrats. a management position really shines further down the road.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    Congratulations mate, you most certainly deserved it.

Just out of curiosity, nothing more, are you going to be fixing hardware even though you are in management now?

With the forums it's the same here. TechExams has played a BIG part in helping shape me career and getting me where I currently am.

Yes if we get behind or get a load of inventory you bet your butt I will be in there imaging the machines and getting them ready for deployment. Of course tracking them in asset management and other processes I still need to learn. I will do whatever it takes to make this project succeed :)

The crazy part of this project is the scope is like a laser beam, however they can always revisit the project charter and change the scope. I was informed of that. Right now they are still ironing out some of the assumptions, but I got a really good feeling. I really really want to get into management and this might be my only shot.

I forgot to add it's with a fortune 500 company which makes me think this could really turn out to be a good thing!
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just like she said - Grab it with both hands. This does look to be the role you needed, should definitely get you into the better management positions in the not too distant future. Good luck once again!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wow!!

Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif

I am sure your ITIL stuff will be paying off now.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Congrats mate :)

-Ken
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck, let us know how it goes. Stick around on the forum and share your knowledge when you can. :D
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats and good luck!
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Thanks guys and gals

I will keep you all posted for sure. Besides I am not going to quit posting, if anything it will be more :D
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations, that's really a huge accomplishment, wish you all the best.
  • Options
    The hardest part is waiting.

I have all this energy build up and want to get started and learn.

Do I make excel templates for timesheet etc?
    Should I wait till I at least get into the team before making decisions?
    I am working under a PM, so how much will he be doing and how much will I be doing?

These are uncertainties I have :)

O well I'll put a cork in it hehe
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The hardest part is waiting.

I have all this energy build up and want to get started and learn.

Do I make excel templates for timesheet etc?
    Should I wait till I at least get into the team before making decisions?
    I am working under a PM, so how much will he be doing and how much will I be doing?

These are uncertainties I have :)

O well I'll put a cork in it hehe

I worked as a team leader to almost 1.5 years for a team of 8 employees and the mistake I didn't make is to change the way they work in my first week.

Timesheet are important so is weekly report too, if they're not used to this it will be hard to convince them. I wouldn't make harsh decisions until I know them well and the best advice I can give you is to be their friend and to defend them in front of the upper management.

But I'm not working now in a managerial position and I'm sure there are many other members who will give you better advice but I just wanted to share my experience.

It was a good time and I had to leave the company because they were not honest with me but I think I did a good job since the team was so un organized.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @ 2:43 PM central time I was offered the IT management position for a hardware deployment team. There will be 3-7 employees underneath me and I will be working under a project manager with 25+ years of IT experience, two bachelors and a masters. Not to overshadow his MCSE, CNE, PMP, A+, N+, S+.

Kind Regards,
    N2IT

Congrats!! This sounds like a rewarding and challenging position.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! :)
  • Options
    pakgeekpakgeek Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□

Kind Regards,
    N2IT

Congrats, you deserve it!!
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats! It makes me more optimistic to hear success stories here.
    Wish you the best anopportunity will pay off in the long run for you.d think that this
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    mezekermezeker Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nice work. I am very proud of you.

If you need help with tracking them in asset management and other processes please shot me an PM and I will give you my cell phone.

I dealt and still deal with asset management.

I am the IT Manager for my company Gary Line, Inc. & Gary Plasitc Packing Corp. and I am setting up there first change managment, problem management, incident management, asset management and service profile.

I am very good with ITIL so if you need some help I will be more than happy to extend whatever knowledge in my head on to you.

To me it is so easy.

Once everything is under control just report on it every month and monitor it and that is all. If you monitor it and see something and fix it before people know, guess what, you have an 99.9 up time, well from the view of the users and upper management but you know what you been doing to keep eveything up and running all the time.

Take that job and go far but for one I know you could do it and do it well.

Happy day's man and you don't need luck because you have this down pack.
    MCP, MCDST, MCTS: Vista, MCAS: Outlook 2007, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+, CompTIA Strata IT Fundamentals, ITIL v3, ISFS Information Security Foundation based on ISO/IEC 27002 Certified

"You must not only test whether an application
    does what it is supposed to do, but also whether it does not do what it should not do."
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I am sure I will be hitting you up for advice.

I did my first phone interview, I was doing the interviewing lol. I also have been going over several resumes, pro bono, but I want show that I am here do a good job.

I have created a time and attendance excel template already. I plan on creating shared folders for each employee and then from there creating a hierarachy of sub folders with customer services we receive and other forms of progress tracking.

I am still nervous, but once I get in there and start working things will get better :) At least I keep telling myself that lol
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations

- X
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    congrats yo
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    congrats! your hard work and certifications paid off icon_thumright.gif
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Options
    Management has been very supportitive. This transition has been smoother than I expected.
  • Options
    ThxlbxThxlbx Member Posts: 105
    Congrats!
    WGU B.S.IT - Security
    Currently Enrolled:
    LET1, INC1, INT1
    Courses Completed:
    EWB2, TEV1, TTV1, CLC1, TSV1,WFV1,ORC1
    Courses Transferred:
    BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LVT1, QLC1, SSC1, SST1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses needed:

BGV1, AKV1, GTT1, MGC1, WDV1, TPV1, GUT1, ABV1, TWA1, CPW4, BLV1
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    hey, during the application/interview process, did they cite any of your certifications specifically?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    Mike honestly all they really focused on was my experience.
  • Options
    natureboy24natureboy24 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    MBA: Information Systems (2008)
    BS: Management Information Systems (2006)
  • Options
    TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    I'm mad I just saw this. Congrats man, you are where I want to be in the next 5-10 years.

Good Job!!
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]