The floppy has left the building

TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
...the night the shut the floppy down; all the techs were singing; nahhh nah nah nah nah...

Today Sony the last major manufacturer of floppy disks announced that they were discontinuing production of the 3.5 inch floppy. The device is now part of computer history. Better put a drive aside for when someone desperately needs to recover an archive folks. I wonder if media will rise in price on ebay.

\"Well Bye" -- Curly Bill
Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO

Comments

• HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    My immediate though to this thread title is......That's what she said.

On a more serious note they do make a fine coaster in a pinch. icon_lol.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    i really should copy the last of my floppys over then!! wonder if they still work!!
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hmm, I wonder how we'll update our IBM server firmwares.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Crazy! I was just thinking about this yesterday. I'm surprised by how long they have been manufactured for.
  • lwwarnerlwwarner Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The floppy is dead; long live the floppy!

I think there are still a couple of 8" floppies stashed around here someplace with the PDP-11 version of Zork on them...
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    And I just found a Wolfenstein 3D floppy in my desk drawer today, time to make an image of that I suppose :D
  • JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    A few days ago I was given a bunch 5.25 floppies and asked if I can get the software off of it. :) I was like to myself 1) where do i get the drive for it and 2) WTF do I install it on ? ms-dos 5 ?
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wonder if windows 8 is going to reserve drive A: as the floppy drive still.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    i have a computer still with an a drive and a b drive
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    I still have an old gateway pc with a working floppy drive. Also have a lot of floppies with joke apps / pr0n / funny pics on them too. Guess I should, as the others are doing, save them elsewhere.... anyways, VIVA LA FLOPPY!
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Priston wrote: »

Hopefully Linux and Mac OS X will continue support for floppies for a while even if Microsoft doesn't.

I still think floppies are the most ideal format for boot/recovery/install disks, but times have changed. . .
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Priston wrote: »
    It will do for compatibility reasons.

You may not have a physical floppy drive but quite a lot of El Torito discs still use floppy emulation instead of the no emulation mode.