Options

Updated Certification Goals

ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
Hey,

Just wondering if anyone's certification goals have changed since we last had this discussion towards the end of last year.

Has anyone's goals changed? I know I find myself changing my goals frequently...typically the next 1-2 are set, but future goals can change!

I am preparing for GCIH now and after that I may tackle ICND2, Linux+, or GPEN....not sure.
CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Although not set in stone, my goals for this year are what I decided them to be. I may not be able to do a CCA or read 10,000 pages though, but definitely going to knock out the 662 and 663 for the EMA and gun for the VCP next. The VCP is going to be big ask for me, but I'll give it my best that's for sure.

My cert goals seem a bit lofty, and they are. This way I can push myself more and keep me constantly motivated, so even if I got 3 of the 5 certs I planned for the year, I'm happy.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mine really has been hijacked!

I went ahead and picked up a 5 pack of MS exam packs. I wasn't really planning on pick up any MS certs but for that price w/2nd shot how could I resist?

By the end of the year, I'm shooting for:
    MCDST
    MCITP:EST
    MCITP:EDST
    &
    MCSA (maybe MCSA:S).
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I always have a list of what I want to do but the priority keeps changing. Then something new comes along that I think ought to be doing right now and then it changes again. Ultimately it just means nothing gets completed. It's a vicious circle.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mine have not changed, but I have not made any progress. They (still) are, finish MCSE: Security (need 70-293 and 70-298 ) and maybe do CCEE (need three exams). I'm also interested in the RHCE, VCAP-DCA, and (if available) VCP 5. Things may change, though.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    Then something new comes along that I think ought to be doing right now and then it changes again. Ultimately it just means nothing gets completed. It's a vicious circle.

^This. That and work tends to give me new stuff to do, i.e. they now want my team to do Sharepoint 2010 (I'll put up a decent post on this later this year).

So mine is currently CCNA, MCITP:Sharepoint 2010 Admin, VCAP4-DCD. It will be different tomorrow :)
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Jarhead2011Jarhead2011 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mine is still the same as last year.
    Just finished MCSA 2003 two weeks ago, now on to finish MCSE 2003. Then Upgrade to MCTS and MCITP:EA and possibly CCNA.
    "Getting information off the internet is like drinking water from a fire hydrant" - Michell Kapor
    2013/2014 Certifications
    CCNA R&S Project Management SQL 2008/2012
    Currently Reading: Network Warrior 2nd Ed.

• Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    My goals did include some MS stuff, mainly as I wasn't getting any interviews and every job seemed to be the jack of all trades IT guy than networking. However, I've done three interviews this year now and none involved any form of MS admin thankfully, so I can put that idea to bed for the moment.

I'm partway through the CCIP, I'm studying for the JNCIS-ENT at the moment with the goal to take it next week at some point, and I want to do the CCIE Written (R&S) before the end of the year. Far from my certification goals changing, my goals are back where I wanted them to be in the first place :)
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sort of. I want WCNA and CEH next. After that SSCP, LPIC-1 and GCIA. Idk about what I am going to do after that. I've been thinking about doing CCNP instead of SSCP, LPIC-1 and GCIA just because I want another job and I think CCNP would get me another job the fastest. I don't know though. After WCNA I'll have to see how I feel. I haven't made much progress on doing those yet so I guess I should focus and get those done.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    my bankroll made me slow my pace down... just waiting for WGU now
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I don't remember what mine were, but I'll probably hit up the CCIE written or the JNCIS/P this year.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    confuse on this plan

Plan A
    CCNP-Wireless > CCNP > CCIP > CISSP > CCNA-Sec > CCNP-Sec

or

Plan B
    CCNP-Wireless > CCNP > CCIP > CCNA-Sec > CCNP-Sec >
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Learning my new job. Developing my leadership style.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    my bankroll made me slow my pace down... just waiting for WGU now

After a while it just eats at your checking account.

Smart move to pump the breaks, you are good for a 5 years guy. Get you education and experience.
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Mine has changed a bit. I finish my Cisco Academy course in May, and want to take the CCNA right after. I still need to pass the 70-291 for my MCSA2003. I was hoping to go for the Win7 exam (680?) right after the 291, but we just found out that my wife is expecting our first child in September. I may be a bit busy getting things ready.
  • Options
    brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    Mine were initially to knock out ITIL Foundations then start work on MCITP:EA. After discovering how utterly boring ITIL was and deciding that I really would like to get away from doing direct end-user support I swayed to the Cisco side, but will still do MCITP:EDA7 just to increase my knowledge of Windows 7 for desktop type positions that must be done prior to breaking into networking.
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    No change here. Preparation for CCIE when time allows.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I keep coming back to this Juniper kick every so often. So I'm reading the PDF's for the JNCIA-JUNOS exam and debating purchasing an SRX device to play with. I want to replace my Linksys device anyway with something that I can have some fun with and learn. I really want to diversify my knowledge in networking so I can make a career move. I'd like to work for a partner at some point. Just not sure which one. :p
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Still working on the CCNA (ICND2). I plan on getting CCDA and CCNA: Security by September. Then I have non IT related certs such as TORFL, First Aid, and Ham Radio.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Not sure..

CCDA - Focusing on now.

I'm considering the following:

CWNA
    ITILv3 Foundation
    Project+
    BlackBerry Certified System Admin

I'm also considering another Professional level Cisco cert but I don't know.. If it's worth it at this point.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mine has changed a bit. I finish my Cisco Academy course in May, and want to take the CCNA right after. I still need to pass the 70-291 for my MCSA2003. I was hoping to go for the Win7 exam (680?) right after the 291, but we just found out that my wife is expecting our first child in September. I may be a bit busy getting things ready.

Don't slow down, rather speed up and get them finished. My study time has dropped significantly. It's going to be months before I get some serious study time in again. Our child things that 3 o'clock in the morning is wake up time icon_sad.gif

Oh, and of course congratz! They are well worth the lack of sleep. :)
  • Options
    willhi1979willhi1979 Member Posts: 191
    I'm working on the ones in my signature and should have them done by the end of March. I will be starting a new job the 14th so they will have a lot of say in my cert plans for the rest of the year. I am signed up for the VMWare class at Santa Cruz starting in April so the VCP will most likely be on the list.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Mine almost changed. I was about to take a job that would have required CISSP within 6 months, but it didn't pan out.

I've been making good time on the MCSE, though.

3 down, 4 to go with one in a few weeks.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My cert goals in the past changed as day turned to night but as of recently I think I may have actually found a stable plan. In recent news, my hardcore study regiment from last year has fallen to pieces due to work and laziness. After two burnouts throughout all last year, this is expected :)

I decided that I might finally take that crack at LPIC-1 and I'll try either MCTS Windows 7 or Network Infrastructure (Dreamspark ftw!) immediately after my CCNA Security. The notion of CISSP associate happened at the beginning of the year but all in all, I need to step my game up fast.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My plans have stayed the same, as I only planned out through May of this year, but I did give myself an aggressive plan and a more relaxed plan. It appears that the aggressive plan has failed.

That being said, I have two MS vouchers sitting around and a two week lull at the end of the month... I may knock out MCSE 2003 Messaging before the Exchange 2003 exams retire. I need to get the SNAF exam done before that, though.

Early April is SNAA, before it retires, and then CEH in mid-April following my training course. Then, May is IPSv6.0 and I will be CCSP/CCNP Security.

I was thinking of doing CCNA Wireless and then slowly doing CCNP and the new CCNP Security exams, but I don't even need them done this year... they may be a next year thing, leading up to my CCIE Security written exam.

I could see myself pursuing PMP later this year, and maybe a low end Solaris certification or RHCE.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro