More Lab Questions!

Maverick918Maverick918 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Sooo i know a lot of people have been posting questions about labs lately and its great because I'm starting my lab up as I right write this. I have 2 2600(with T1 interface cards for PPP)Routers that my work is letting me use and I was thinking about going through eBay to get 2 2950T switches also. Would this be a good setup for a CCNA lab?

The physical practice isn't as much of what I'm worried about for this exam because I already went through the Net Academy a couple years ago, so I know what it's like to work with the equipment hands on. I'm going to need more practice using CLI and just knowing the material in general(Subnetting fast and commands) so i guess I'm wondering if it's even worth the money and just use packet tracer and other materials to get familiar with CLI.

Thanks guys!

Comments

• yapchinhoong2010yapchinhoong2010 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi there, I have written a free CCNA guide and you may go through the labs in it. Thanks.
    Cisco CCNA Complete Guide 2nd Edition
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes, 2 decent routers and 2 decent switches such as what you're looking at will be enough.
  • Ryuksapple84Ryuksapple84 Member Posts: 183
    Honestly, I would focus more on routers since there seems to be more routing and frame relay on the CCNA then switching. That is what I remember.

Just use packet tracer for the switches and try to get another router if possible with serial links like a WIC 1T maybe.

Maybe the senior members can chime in?
    Eating humble pie.
  • -DeXteR--DeXteR- Member Posts: 130
    Sooo i know a lot of people have been posting questions about labs lately and its great because I'm starting my lab up as I right write this. I have 2 2600(with T1 interface cards for PPP)Routers that my work is letting me use and I was thinking about going through eBay to get 2 2950T switches also. Would this be a good setup for a CCNA lab?

The physical practice isn't as much of what I'm worried about for this exam because I already went through the Net Academy a couple years ago, so I know what it's like to work with the equipment hands on. I'm going to need more practice using CLI and just knowing the material in general(Subnetting fast and commands) so i guess I'm wondering if it's even worth the money and just use packet tracer and other materials to get familiar with CLI.

Thanks guys!
    Well i'm taking my CCNA Exam this month end , and i'm depending on Packet Tracer and GNS3 for the labs which i guess s enough for the CCNA exam . And yes its great to have one's own lab set up to have hands-on lab practice and the scent of the real thing but in my case i can't afford it coz financially my family is going through a rough patch .
    If real equipment is what you want then stick with 2600xm series routers and at minimum 2950's for switches. Three 2950's if you can get them, and three 2600xm routers as well. May also want to look into a frame switch. If you want layer and have a low budget then 3550's should do. 3560's are nice, but more expensive. I agree that Packet Tracer is all you need for CCNA, but there isn't a greater reward than working on real equipment that can give you real world problems and issues and you have to work through them. Plus it will make you more marketable when you interview somewhere and they put you down in front of a real piece of equipment and say "this router doesn't have an IOS, please fix it". You won't be able to practice your xmodem'ing skills in packet tracericon_lol.gif