Options

MCITP: Windows Server 2008 R2, Virtualization Administrator

KrankKrank Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys it's been a couple years since I didn't post here but now that I'm currently thinking aboout the Hyper-V certification, I was wondering what would be the best path to take.

I was planning the following:
1) Exam 70-659 TS: Windows Server 2008 R2, Server Virtualization
2) Exam 70-669 TS: Windows Server 2008 R2, Desktop Virtualization
3) Exam 70-693 PRO: Windows Server 2008 R2, Virtualization Administrator

Does it sound like a good plan? would you recommend a different order for the exams?

I appreciate any tips and advices regarding the study materials.

Comments

• Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That order is fine and probably the best if you don't have experience with these products. You really only need one book, Mastering Microsoft Virtualization, for all three exams. This book should also be enough for exam 70-403 (it was for me). One book for four exams is not a bad deal!
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    That order is fine and probably the best if you don't have experience with these products. You really only need one book, Mastering Microsoft Virtualization, for all three exams. This book should also be enough for exam 70-403 (it was for me). One book for four exams is not a bad deal!

Thanks MentholMoose!

I was currently looking for that specific book right now, it's good to confirm that I was heading the right way.
  • Options
    CChilderhoseCChilderhose Member Posts: 137
    I have already done 659 and passed but that was after taking a week long course.

I do have the Mastering Microsoft Virtualization and Mastering Hyper-V Deployment books as well.

The one mentioned is a great book and I am in chapter 5 now. Once done I am going to take the 669 and 693 for the MCITP:VA.

Good luck with your studies.
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
    MCITP: EA, VA, SA
    VCAP-DCD, VCP6 -- COMING SOON
  • Options
    Thanks, good luck for you too CChilderhose!

I bought Mastering Microsoft Virtualization book on Amazon yesterday so I'm looking forward to have it my hands to read it all.

By the way, in another thread I found this interesting series of demo videos regarding Hyper-V, they're really good: server virtualisation episodes
  • Options
    kojekoje Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, I am also planning MCITP: Windows Server 2008 R2, Virtualization Administrator track. My exam order will probably be different than yours.

1) Exam 70-652 TS: Windows Server Virtualization, Configuring
    2) Exam 70-693 PRO: Windows Server 2008 R2, Virtualization Administrator
    3) Exam 70-669 TS: Windows Server 2008 R2, Desktop Virtualization

I am planning to leave 70-669 last because it will be hardest for me. Problem is that there will be Desktop Virtualization content in 70-693.
  • Options
    koje wrote: »
    Hi, I am also planning MCITP: Windows Server 2008 R2, Virtualization Administrator track. My exam order will probably be different than yours.

1) Exam 70-652 TS: Windows Server Virtualization, Configuring
    2) Exam 70-693 PRO: Windows Server 2008 R2, Virtualization Administrator
    3) Exam 70-669 TS: Windows Server 2008 R2, Desktop Virtualization

I am planning to leave 70-669 last because it will be hardest for me. Problem is that there will be Desktop Virtualization content in 70-693.

You should think about 659 instead of 652 as it deals with R2 versus just the regular 2008 version in 652.

That is what I have taken and it is not that bad. I have booked my next 2 exams for 669 & 693 for Saturday March 12th on the same day. I am almost done the Mastering MS Virtualization book and I must it is a great read.

This book also is helping me with my practice tests as well as having Hyper-V at home to configure and play with.

Good luck in your studies and exams.
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'd definitely recommend studying for the 659 over the 652. If you're doing anything with Hyper-V these days you'll be wanting to put it on R2 for CSVs, live migration and now dynamic memory. Not that dynamic memory will be on the exam. I would actually recommend the 693 before the 669 as the Hyper-V related content will still be fresh in your mind after the 659/652 and it will also give you a good step up for the 669 on the desktop side.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    undomiel wrote: »
    I'd definitely recommend studying for the 659 over the 652. If you're doing anything with Hyper-V these days you'll be wanting to put it on R2 for CSVs, live migration and now dynamic memory. Not that dynamic memory will be on the exam. I would actually recommend the 693 before the 669 as the Hyper-V related content will still be fresh in your mind after the 659/652 and it will also give you a good step up for the 669 on the desktop side.

Good point on that, I guess that it would be the best then.

I'll use the approach of having the Windows Server 2008 R2 OS in a .vhd file for testing purposes, this way I'm not repartitioning or shrinking and I'd be using the disk space in a more smart fashion.

Check this out in case that you want to do the same:
    How to install Windows Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-V and Windows 7 on the same partition | TechRepublic
  • Options
    Well doing some last minute review before 693 and 669 which I am taking today. Hopefully can build on 659 and have MCITP:VA after lunch some time today. icon_lol.gif

Will post back results and should be VA later today. icon_thumright.gif
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good luck :)
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    bertieb wrote: »
    Good luck :)

Thanks. Seems like there is cross over with all exams but the 669 will be different with VDI, MED-V and VDI.

I thank the book I read - Mastering Microsoft Virtualization for helping me with these topics as well as having Hyper-V installed on my home PC to lab, lab, lab....icon_lol.gif
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
  • Options
    Ah yes...now an MCITP: VA...icon_cool.gif

Passed both exams this morning - 693 & 669...

Now moving on to BlackBerry and ITIL before coming back to MS EMA...icon_thumright.gif
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
  • Options
    Ah yes...now an MCITP: VA...icon_cool.gif

Passed both exams this morning - 693 & 669...

Now moving on to BlackBerry and ITIL before coming back to MS EMA...icon_thumright.gif

You rock CChilderhose, congratulations!

I'm still studing for the 659, hopefully taking it in one month and a half or so...